85 carb sliders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjagoalie

Reaction score
hello all, I'm a newbie with an '85 vmax, picked it up late last year and just now looking her over. Just under 30K miles. She runs good mostly but I don't think the VBoost is working at all. But I will get on that later, my first question is this. I was looking at her carbs after replacing the air filter (I took the rest of the airbox off too while investigating) and I tried pushing the sliders (is that what they are called? The back cylinders that attach to the diaphrams) in to see how quickly they rebounded back. I noticed the front two carb slides only go in about halfway in compared to the back two slides, which go all the way in. All return quickly. Is this normal? :ummm: I tried searching old posts/etc but couldnt really find anything. I hope I am describing this correctly....

Last edited:
Take the diaphram covers off. You will probably find the diaphram has seperated from the slide...

I think it would run like crap if the diaphragms separated or tore.
Sitting is bad for those "Sliders" which are fragile and don't be tempted to pry on them. It is common especially for a bike put away improperly to gum up the slides. As Sean said, they should be able to be pushed all the way in and move smoothly. Sometimes you can just try lubing them with a light machine oil and exercise them with your finger until the go all the way and retract smoothly. Unfortunately, the do get a wear pattern over the years and if reassembled in a different carb or orientation, they can stick or hang up.

so I took off the covers and you guys were correct, both of the front carb sliders had come apart from the diaphrams. So I took them apart one at a time and cleaned/lubed /reassembled. One of the sliders was cracked pretty bad at it actually broke while working with it. I superglued it back together and cleaned it up so that it works for the time being but I want to get new sliders. After looking at several parts suppliers, it seems like I have to buy the diaphrams along with the sliders? Any way to just get sliders? I would like a couple of them if I can.

To add onto this post ,if there is anyone else with a couple more slides I'm in the market for at least two.

vmaxlucy

Back