Any V-Max riders gone to the Dark Side?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A: has anyone posted REAL tests on this? For or against? Not talking about one guys opinion one way or another.

B: I don't see a benefit? So the tire lasts longer. Tires are not so expensive I need to change my whole set up to put a car tire on my bike.

C: As far as people who have it done? More power to you for having a unique set up.

Since i am the only one that has done it .And am quite pleased.For me,It's great.Engine speed dropped about 300 rpm at about 55.Corners just as good.Contact patch is better in upright riding about 3/1/2 inches.Works great in the mountains of nc.Good up to 110.Im no tire expert.But it just comes down to a choice,like everything else.I followed bicyclest coming off the parkway a 55 mph,wearing them lil racing suits and a helment,And wondered how the hell are they staying on the road!1/1/2 wide tire 3/4 of a inch on the road.Anyway,Wish you all safe.No matter what you ride,or how you ride,or what kind of tire you do it with.Wish you all a great year!!!

I also posted a link to a Valkyrie forum where I first heard of this. Several riders do this and seem happy. Although Valks aren't as sporting they are far from straight-line Harleys.

The thing that resonated most of all was the reliability. I couldn't care about the price - a hundred bucks more or less isn't worth my safety.

I'm no peg dragger (even when I rode sport bikes) but I do appreciate a quick backroad jaunt. There seem to be enough guys doing this that it's worth considering. I'd be willing to try it. Heck, it's not like I couldn't go back.

Having said the above I'm not sure who I could find to mount a car tire on a bike wheel. Goddamn lawyers!

Too all of you who have commented negatively, have you visited thread I posted? If not, please do.

The guy makes some pretty solid points and backs it up with lots of experience.

The physics and philosophy of counter steering are based on the assumption that a tyre is curved. He has noted the affect the tyre makes to counter steering, but puts forward no reason for this. I would say he is dodging the issues.

As for his experience, I like the fact that the guy has tried it and is happy with it. However, his logic is similar to what is used by base jumpers.

If a parachute manufacturer says their minimum safe cutaway height is 2000ft, and a base jumper jumps successfully from a 1500 foot bridge, does that mean the manufacturer is being too stubborn with their specs, and that the base jumper is the one who is right?
Or does it mean the base jumper has never actually learned how to parachute jump?

I'm sure on the bikes in question there is still enough rubber on the ground, and not enough horsepower or handling to make a difference. I'm glad they found this out, but it isn't for me.

BTW base jumpers generally annoy me, but CHECK JEB CORLISS OUT!!!!!!!
punk0000.gif
punk0000.gif
punk0000.gif
punk0000.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

What a legend! Flying a wing suit like a MOFO! :biglaugh:

Come to think of it, here is where my base jump analogy kicks in.
Think about square tyres, then watch his next vid. :ummm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFCQRwj28w

I like round tyres! :rofl_200:

Since i am the only one that has done it .And am quite pleased.For me,It's great.Engine speed dropped about 300 rpm at about 55.Corners just as good.Contact patch is better in upright riding about 3/1/2 inches.Works great in the mountains of nc.Good up to 110.Im no tire expert.But it just comes down to a choice,like everything else.I followed bicyclest coming off the parkway a 55 mph,wearing them lil racing suits and a helment,And wondered how the hell are they staying on the road!1/1/2 wide tire 3/4 of a inch on the road.Anyway,Wish you all safe.No matter what you ride,or how you ride,or what kind of tire you do it with.Wish you all a great year!!!

I'm glad it works for you! :biglaugh: Rock on! :punk:

Take no offense from my opinion.

My best riding buddy had a Star Warrior that when the original bike tire wore out(from burn outs) he replaced with a car tire. Since he was so prone to doing burnouts and the bike was extremely capable, he was happy. I rode the bike once and it scared me so bad I never got on it again. His logic was that the car tire was so much cheaper, lasted so much longer, looked cool and got lots of attention and provided some really cool smoky burnouts. Once he got some extra $, he finally replaced it with a set of new Bridgestone Battleax's which only lasted a couple thousand miles. He said once he got them on there it was like he had forgotten how to ride a bike and was just disgusted with how few miles he got out of them. He has since replaced them with Avon's and has much better luck but sadly my best riding buddy sold his Warrior. I know he'd never admit it, but I just don't think he enjoyed the bike as much with the bike tire on it. It's hard for me to understand but it is what it is. I'm hoping he gets another bike soon and I personally don't care what kind of tires he chooses as long as I don't have to ride it.

"gt2roadracer," if I were you, and he insisted on car tires, I would never ride behind or next to him, always in-front, so if he wrecks, he doesn't take you w/him.

Everyone's got a friend with-whom you feel uneasy riding w/them in a car because of their behavior. Don't let your buddy take you-out.

amen to that brother! Same reason I don't like riding with my wife in the car when she's driving. You know it's unsafe, shit, she's putting on make up!
Before my buddy sold his bike, I had an FZ1 that I rode everyday. So, riding in front of him wasn't an issue. Although I suspect leading the path on my Vmax would be no problem either compared to that big ol Vtwin.:confused2:

None taken.Scared of hights not jumping off rocks:punk:

ha ha ha
I'm scared of heights. I get scared and have to hold onto ladders till my knuckles turn white. Definitely can't look down when I'm on a bridge or a roof. Aaargh!
But I've done 16 parachute jumps, and learned to fly hang-gliders! What dain bramage? :ummm:

It has been 12 years since I last flew like that, but I never ever got over being scared on ladders. Go figure.

hahaha...I'd prolly jump out of a plane if it was on fire, I had a parachute, my wife didn't control the rip cord, a big ol pillow waiting for me on the ground, and I had just spoke with God and he said everything was cool between me and him. Gotta worry about that last one sometimes....hahaha

I am running a car tire on the back of my 1800 Honda and my ST-1300 and ran one for 10,000 miles on my Nomad. No problems, long tire life, huge load carrying capacity, smoother ride, better traction in sand, fantastic traction on wet roads. Some disadvantages are a bit of wobbling on uneven road surfaces and having to apply a bit of input for making turns. I am considering buying a V-Max and will use a car tire on it, if I can find one that fits.

Your bike, your life. Just because you can doesn't mean you should (pdf picture):

Notice the heavy-duty chain, the cadmium-plated "S-hooks," and the 4 X 4" post providing the critical support to the Blazer's tailgate. A lot of thought went-into that last part, notice how-carefully whittled-down the 4 X 4" is to insert into the receiver ball-mount!

To me, riding a car tire on a bike is a big no-no, unless your name is E.J. Potter:

ejpotter1.jpg

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/05/08/ej-potter-michigan-madman/

Even E.J. had issues with the edge of the tire affecting handling, and his trips were a half-mile at a time, and in a straight line!

Attachments

• fifth wheel.pdf
    209.6 KB · Views: 37
I'm sure people thought flying in a "mechanical bird" aka airplane was extremely risky for a lot of years, until everybody started doing it and proved the idea worked just fine.

There has to be a balance between a willingness to innovate and a cautious sense of skepticism. If people readily dismissed ideas as "absurd" or "can't work" our world would be a very different place. Airplanes would never have been invented, what's wrong with a car? Flying seems very dangerous and risky, while a car is proven and safer. Why bother?

I am running a car tire on the back of my 1800 Honda and my ST-1300 and ran one for 10,000 miles on my Nomad. No problems, long tire life, huge load carrying capacity, smoother ride, better traction in sand, fantastic traction on wet roads. Some disadvantages are a bit of wobbling on uneven road surfaces and having to apply a bit of input for making turns. I am considering buying a V-Max and will use a car tire on it, if I can find one that fits.
165/80/15 mine is a nankang.Good luck.Riding on it is no problem .Getting it to seat on the bead,is a bit nerve racking.:eat brains:You probly already been through that.

I run a set of slicks on my vmax now. Those are not street legal only becuse there is no water management grooves on them like on normal MC tire otherwise they are superior in every way, once they warm up I have zero fear of sliding out in the corner. I do not ride in rain and if I do I make sure to leave myself a ton of room in front and on the side for an escape route just in case. Yet, most everyone I come accross thinks I'm nuts for doing so but can't really tell me why. It's pretty much the same thing with using a car time, in the right conditions it should work just as well as a motorcycle tire.

I never really gave it a lot of thought before but since I've seen this and all the info available on on the web I might try this out myslef. I'm due for tires anyway and a used 17" car tire should not be that expensive, maybe few videos of stopping and cornering?? Just not sure how valid this would be since my tires are not street legal to begin with. :ummm:

Getting it to seat on the bead,is a bit nerve racking.:eat brains:You probly already been through that.
Ever see a tire being changed on a semi-truck? They put those in a cage becasue of the pressure it takes to seat the bead :biglaugh:

Few years ago, I went to change tires on my dad's semi and the guy was airing the tire up and had it laying flat on the ground. I took few steps back as he was airing it up. Once the bead poped the whole rim shot up into the air about 3 feet. He learned his lesson quickly that day :rofl_200:

Ever see a tire being changed on a semi-truck? They put those in a cage becasue of the pressure it takes to seat the bead :biglaugh:

Few years ago, I went to change tires on my dad's semi and the guy was airing the tire up and had it laying flat on the ground. I took few steps back as he was airing it up. Once the bead poped the whole rim shot up into the air about 3 feet. He learned his lesson quickly that day :rofl_200:

I was at a shopping center on the sidewalk as a Honda Civic came down the lane. When it got within about 20 ft. of me, there was a tremendous 'report' and the passenger front fender shredded, and the headlight blew-off in my direction. Luckily, I happened to be facing the car when it happened, because if it occurred behind me (me facing-away), I'd probably be stopping in the dep't. store for a new, clean pair of boxers.

The tire blew-out and while the fender stayed attached to the car, it looked like someone put a 1/4 stick of dynamite into the wheelwell and lit it off.

At the fleet-service municipal garage where we took the fire vehicles, if the supervisor caught a worker not using the cage to air-up a tire off the vehicle, he was docked the remaining day's pay & sent-home.

I run a set of slicks on my vmax now. Those are not street legal only because there is no water management grooves on them like on normal MC tire otherwise they are superior in every way, once they warm up I have zero fear of sliding out in the corner. I do not ride in rain and if I do I make sure to leave myself a ton of room in front and on the side for an escape route just in case. Yet, most everyone I come across thinks I'm nuts for doing so but can't really tell me why. It's pretty much the same thing with using a car time, in the right conditions it should work just as well as a motorcycle tire.

I never really gave it a lot of thought before but since I've seen this and all the info available on on the web I might try this out myself. I'm due for tires anyway and a used 17" car tire should not be that expensive, maybe few videos of stopping and cornering?? Just not sure how valid this would be since my tires are not street legal to begin with. :ummm:
Why did you leave regular motorcycle tires to begin with? if it was because of traction,or scooting out of a corner?Sounds like you my have a road racing tire on there now.Way softer compound,hence sticks to the road.If so,And thats how you ride.You do realize when you go to a car tire ,You are going to a much harder compound.Not as sticky.There is absolutely no diffrence in how i did a curve back then and now.But that's me.If i did any road racing,I would have a set up like you.Not saying don't.Just be as smart as possible.I don't want anyone hurt.I can keep up with about anyone,Sportbike or whatever.We get a lil quick.Theres a lot of diffrence in a road racing tire ,and a street tire.Be it a car or a bike.Good luck either way.

Back