Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys and Gals, i joined a few months ago and i am finally going to drop the hammer and order me a 2016 vmax. Ive got a 2013 M109 and its way to slow:) I do have a couple of questions. 1) I would like to get it the 240 rear wheel option, has anyone had to do the extra cleaning of the drive shaft (my dealer cant tell me what this entails)? 2) the dealer also says that the vamx has a speed limiter? This will really suck if true. Thanks
Welcome to the forum! I have an '08 M109R also. It may not be as fast as a VMax, but I love it too. Are you keeping both bikes?

Howdy, This is Rick, and I am from Oregon. I am working in Northern California and needed a commuter bike. I was looking for a dual purpose XT or XL600, but discovered them sought after and expensive here. For less money, I got a Vmax. Besides, I always wanted one.

1990 with 55k 2grand

I have been riding for 40years.
1982 XT550
1974 RD350
1986 FZ750
CB550four
1986 FJ1200
1992 TDM850 which I still have in Oregon.

The Vmax test ride went fine, the biggest issue was a throbbing rear brake. I bought her, topped her off, and started my 40mile ride home. Several exits down the freeway, she quit and would not restart. Ride of shame on the back of a rollback. A week later I ran her bone dry on the freeway and discovered I have a none functioning reserve. I could not bring myself to call AAA again and pushed her home 2.2 miles. Stupid should hurt.
Put a new gel-cell battery in, new missing mirrors, new broken or missing blinkers, and most importantly replaced my bent rear rotor.

I bought a 1 gallon jerry can and strapped it to the seat. I took a very nice ride yesterday to the ocean and had fish tacos in Half Moon Bay. Today I took a ride to the east with my brother to Mt Hamilton above San Jose.

I had 2 FJ s and rode them for 15years, so the HP and engine deceleration compression are not a new thing to me. Actually, I kind of dig it. The whole bike lifting is new, and I really dig that. My left peg is bent down and drags. Today, I had to hang off to avoid dragging on lefty's and did drag a couple times on the right. The whole time, I'm thinking, I am just to Fargin old to ride this pig like a sport bike.

Something happened to me the the other day that I had never heard of. I was splitting lanes and ran over a manhole cover. My back tire spun, kicked, or flipped the cover out onto the roadway. I flipped a beach and rode down the sidewalk to make sure nobody drove into it and public safety was called.

I have never heard of anything like this. Have you?

Anyways, the Vmax is great! I am very pleased.

hairballrm,
I have never heard of anyone displacing a manhole cover with any bike, BUT if it had to happen a Vmax was the bike to do it ! You sound like you'll fit right in around here.
Welcome !!!!

Get ready to spend all of your $.

Funny you say that. I have always ridden all my bikes as they came. Gas, oil, filters, tires, chains.

I am facing a philosophical dilemma now. The exhaust on this bike is bent going into the collector/muffler. Bike was probably slid on the left side and smacked the rear cylinder "underneath" head pipe and right side muffler connector. Unfortunately the connector tube is wrapped under the center stand. The stand is trapped and will not come down. The stand was fine until I dragged the left side (I thought it was the peg) and stuffed itself underneath.

Dilemma is: E bay head pipe, straighten and weld muffler OR Ebay 4 into 1 header and lose center stand for good. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Dilemma is: E bay head pipe, straighten and weld muffler OR Ebay 4 into 1 header and lose center stand for good. Hmmmm

A full exhaust is in order, of course!

Plenty of options

Kerker, Marks, Holeshot, Hindle, UFO, Voodoo...

Kerker requires you cut the centerstand tabs off the frame.
The rest allow you to keep the tabs and you can bolt the stand on for maintenance.

Marks allows you to retain the centerstand. Can't remember if others do too.

Delkevic offers a stock replacement. For the money, I'd buy a new voodoo system. Be prepared for extreme loudness with voodoo or UFO.

A few slips ons are available too. That won't fix your bent up exhaust problem though.

There is a used Hindle on ebay right now for a decent price. Needs blasted and coated though.
I'm sure there are some guys on here that would be willing to sell their OEM exhaust reasonably.
Or, you could hit up Sean Morley to see if he has any used exhaust kicking around.

W-H-A-A-T? You made a manhole cover come out of its socket? Geez, I never heard of that before.

Sounds like you are ready for a new (used) exhaust. Only a full exhaust will add performance, unless you get a Cobra 4-4. No scavenging, & your power will be lower than stock. "Just say, 'no.'" Yes they look 'pretty.' I've had Kerker, Mark's, and UFO 4/1's. Your choice. They will need tuning (Sean Morley's jet kit or a Dynojet Stage 7, but don't get rid of your butterflies if you go Stage 7, just unplug the stepper motor connector when the VBoost cycles-open when you turn on the ignition switch, it's the round connector under the left aluminum scoop). Retaining your VBoost function makes it easier to synch the carbs.

I dunno if you're gonna hang onto it for awhile, and how much $ you intend to spend, but getting a new rear wheel in 17" or 18" allowing you to run radials is the biggest handling improvement you can make in my opinion, I've had my first VMax 24 years. You can use the front wheel for a radial although the width isn't optimum for a radial.

I suggest riding it for a season and then making a 'priorities' list, discovering what budget you need to fund it, and then executing the plan.

'RaWarrior' made this sticky, it answers many questions, and points the way to researching other posts about your questions. Try the 'search' function before asking, 'what kind of oil should I use?' You have many hours of entertainment via reading about your new bike, and what can be done to/with it.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240

I was referring to the Hindle 4 into 1 on eBay and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. My stock muffler, once it's off, is not going back on without repair.

The manhole cover thing just blows my mind. I was only going 25 or so and slightly rolling on it a bit. Kinda felt like hitting a wet or oily patch with the back tire, then I heard the "ring" of the cover hitting the pavement. I knew immediately what it was and went back because I did not believe it.

Anyway, Thank you all for the welcome. May you all have wind in your hair and the rubber down.

Rick

Hi all, I've just taken ownership of my first V-Max. It's a 1985 model which has had a lot of TLC to restore it. Unfortunately I'm still waiting to get out on her as the weather isn't great yet but I'm looking forward to it with great expectation.

Welcome! I'm going to have to see what I can do about manhole covers now to duplicate that.

If you need an OEM headpipe I have a good one you may have for shipping cost but the sweet sound of a system might make it hard to go back to stock.

Welcome! I'm going to have to see what I can do about manhole covers now to duplicate that.
The juvenile in me is thinking along these lines too.

If you need an OEM headpipe I have a good one you may have for shipping cost but the sweet sound of a system might make it hard to go back to stock.
I may very well take you up on this. A number of respected adults recommended I not install a header due to the db increase/freeway speed "drone". I had 4into1s on my FJs for years. We will see how blown out the packing is on my ebay muffler.

BTW I make headlights and the max needs one bad.
http://http://www.projectorretrofit.com/
Rick

All,

I'm reaching back 15 years. Shorty after the purchase of 2000 I found the VOMA and registered, #1982, for many years until I stopped receiving mail contact.

Have I found the current VOMA?

Latest posts

Back