Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool I was raised there. I lived there from the time I was 6 years old until 7 years ago when I moved to Florida. I miss it there I wish I would have never left. Although it has grown up a lot since 1976 when I moved there. I try to make it back once a year but I missed last year.

I have lived here my entire life. Graduated in 2001. I will raise my family here as well, it is so much better than what is around ie. La Marque,Hitchcock.

Hey all!

I'm from Alberta, Canada and the proud owner of 2004 vmx1200, with UFO 4-2-1 exhaust, K&N filter pod, and stage 7 dynojet kit.

I'm really happy to have found this place!

Thanks!

I have lived here my entire life. Graduated in 2001. I will raise my family here as well, it is so much better than what is around ie. La Marque,Hitchcock.
My Mom & 2 of my brothers are still there & my other brother is in Alvin. I really hope to make it home soon. I have a few years on you . My class graduated in 85.

Hey all!

I'm from Alberta, Canada and the proud owner of 2004 vmx1200, with UFO 4-2-1 exhaust, K&N filter pod, and stage 7 dynojet kit.

I'm really happy to have found this place!

Thanks!

You have a good start. Take a look at your VBoost manifold and tell us if your butterfly valves in it are still there, or are there just pieces of aluminum tubing, no butterflies? Stage 7 usually is 'no-butterflies,' which is how Dynojet kits-it, but many people on-here have tuned their bikes to retain the VBoost (me among the latter group). I have the UFO Dragstar as-well, see what I did to make it easier to live-with, and to preserve my hearing, and keep my neighbors happy: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29889

I have multiple posts in this thread describing the mod: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=28588&page=2

Another thread: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29781

If you're going to be needing tires sometime-soon, read-up on switching to radials, and consider this change. All you need is another rear wheel in 17" or 18", you can re-use your front wheel and just replace the tire. The front wheel width is not optimal for a radial, but it will work. For my $$, switching to radials will make the biggest change to the handling and your confidence in cornering, and will largely-eliminate many of the criticisms owners have about the early-1980's-designed front suspension. Here is a start: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29135&highlight=radial+tires

Call me Mobrules (old sabbath album I like). Got a 1986 Vmax and a 1983 Virago MK 920 as payment for some work I did last winter (drywall). The Virago was a pretty easy fix so for my first bike it is great. Now that I've been riding it for a few months I really want to get the max going. Unfortunately it is in pieces, I don't know why it is in pieces that just how it was when I got it. All the covers have been removed, cables and so on. I took it to my mechanic this weekend to see what he thought. First thing he thinks is the cams are rusty (not sure how much is too much). Not a good starting point. Looks like it may be a very expensive project. But the more I read about the Vmax the more I want to get her going. I think I'm hooked and I haven't even ridden it yet

Call me Mobrules (old sabbath album I like). Got a 1986 Vmax and a 1983 Virago MK 920 as payment for some work I did last winter (drywall). The Virago was a pretty easy fix so for my first bike it is great. Now that I've been riding it for a few months I really want to get the max going. Unfortunately it is in pieces, I don't know why it is in pieces that just how it was when I got it. All the covers have been removed, cables and so on. I took it to my mechanic this weekend to see what he thought. First thing he thinks is the cams are rusty (not sure how much is too much). Not a good starting point. Looks like it may be a very expensive project. But the more I read about the Vmax the more I want to get her going. I think I'm hooked and I haven't even ridden it yet

Welcome and good luck w/the projects. I am from your neck of the woods before moving to FL 40 years-ago. I like it here more, because of year-round riding, but I go to SW MI to visit friends when I can. I was from the east-side of the Kalamazoo area, east of Richland and just south of M-89. I went to school just south of the Gilmore Car Museum, on N 40 Ave/Kellogg School Rd.

I had a 1982 XV920 and like most of them, it had the starter problem. The bike was fun to ride, but I didn't want to spend the $$$ to split the cases to fix the starter ring-gear, so I gave it to a friend who had one of the Euro models w/the totally-enclosed chain final drives, instead of the shaft drive. Does yours have the LCD electronic tach & speedo, analog display?

For the 'Max, you might look for a good used engine, and use yours as a source of parts. That way, you should be able to get it up & running quickly. I suggest splitting the cases of any used engine and measuring/inspecting the rod & crank clearances for the big-end bearings, listen to the voice of experience. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21873&highlight=dyno+dilemma

Hello everyone!
Quasi new member (have been a member since 09, but never posted a question), used to have an '04 VMAX that gave me quite a bit of satisfaction, and almost no grief.

I moved to Miami a few weeks ago, and bought my everyday vehicle; a 2006 VMAX.

After riding it with no problems for a couple of weeks, last night while i was out on the town with the GF, the bike just plain and simply DIED on me, when an hour ago it was purring happily down the road.

It was as if the battery died in an instant, and so did the engine. To make it clearer, i was about to park, and everything went dark. Turning the key did nothing, so no lights, no vboost sound, no valves movement, as if it had no battery. Needless to say, the engine was dead as well.

Waiting for a tow truck at 2 AM with your GF by the side of the road was not fun. Now I need to have it towed to the shop.
Any ideas of what could've gone wrong? A fuse? Would the battery die on me so abruptly? Why would it make the engine to stall?
The bike has 15K miles on it, and has never been laid down.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks to all
Jer

Greetings from SouthCentral PA. I'm a long time rider looking at a 1999 VMax that's for sale in my area. Currently own a 1982 Honda Aspencade and a 2008 Suzuki M109R. I really like this bike and am going to make an offer this week. I'll be reading the forums and looking for FAQs and the like. Anyway, just thought I'd check in.

Here are two shots of the 1999 I am considering. I'm thinking it's a no-brainer at $3K. Oh yeah, Corbin seats, aftermarket exhaust, DynoJet kit (unsure which one) for fuel management, needs fork seals, front tire, and rear shock bushings. Has a switch to cut out VBoost.

6078a3a1-77c7-4c9e-b843-56ba3164a5b1_zps336c7e74.jpg

2013-08-24151920_zps2748530b.jpg

Greetings from SouthCentral PA. I'm a long time rider looking at a 1999 VMax that's for sale in my area. Currently own a 1982 Honda Aspencade and a 2008 Suzuki M109R. I really like this bike and am going to make an offer this week. I'll be reading the forums and looking for FAQs and the like. Anyway, just thought I'd check in.

Here are two shots of the 1999 I am considering. I'm thinking it's a no-brainer at $3K. Oh yeah, Corbin seats, aftermarket exhaust, DynoJet kit (unsure which one) for fuel management, needs fork seals, front tire, and rear shock bushings. Has a switch to cut out VBoost.

6078a3a1-77c7-4c9e-b843-56ba3164a5b1_zps336c7e74.jpg

2013-08-24151920_zps2748530b.jpg

Looks clean Hopefully workouts for you .

Hello everyone!
Quasi new member (have been a member since 09, but never posted a question), used to have an '04 VMAX that gave me quite a bit of satisfaction, and almost no grief.

I moved to Miami a few weeks ago, and bought my everyday vehicle; a 2006 VMAX.

After riding it with no problems for a couple of weeks, last night while i was out on the town with the GF, the bike just plain and simply DIED on me, when an hour ago it was purring happily down the road.

It was as if the battery died in an instant, and so did the engine. To make it clearer, i was about to park, and everything went dark. Turning the key did nothing, so no lights, no vboost sound, no valves movement, as if it had no battery. Needless to say, the engine was dead as well.

Waiting for a tow truck at 2 AM with your GF by the side of the road was not fun. Now I need to have it towed to the shop.
Any ideas of what could've gone wrong? A fuse? Would the battery die on me so abruptly? Why would it make the engine to stall?
The bike has 15K miles on it, and has never been laid down.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks to all
Jer

Might want to start a thread about the problem. First thing id check is the fuses. Could be that the rectifier is not working, and the battery is dead because of that but a fuse would be guess #1. Problem with that is fuses don't typically blow without reason.

Hello all... I am new to the forum... and a proud new owner of a 2006 Vmax! It has been my childhood dream bike that is now a reality!! Lots of great info in this forum... hope I will be able to contribute some tech!!!

Back