Better Aftermarket Valve Cover Gaskets??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
Are there better aftermarket gaskets out there? Or are the stock Yamaha ones our only choice? If so, are there any tricks to getting a better seal in the long run??

Mine on my 06 started leaking a bit around 8000 miles. I replaced them with ones from U Motors, and I haven't had any problems since. And I've got 20,000 miles on the second set.

OEM used to be the best but the newer the gaskets (rubber) the worse they are. I've got gaskets I started saving from older engines since the rubber lasts longer. They probably had to start leaving some of the chemicals out due to epa or cost or something else. Maybe they are doing it to get more maintenance money out of us.

The only aftermarket units are vesrah that I know of and I have used them too with OK results. I have not used them in recent years to know if they changed though.

Sean

OEM used to be the best but the newer the gaskets (rubber) the worse they are. I've got gaskets I started saving from older engines since the rubber lasts longer.

So you haven't found any other "tricks" to try......ie. a little gasket sealer or bearing grease? Or anything? Just put them on dry?

Just deal with the seeps? Worst seems to be the front edge of the front cylinders........

Thanks for the input anyways....

So you haven't found any other "tricks" to try......ie. a little gasket sealer or bearing grease? Or anything? Just put them on dry?

Just deal with the seeps? Worst seems to be the front edge of the front cylinders........

Thanks for the input anyways....

I never had a valve cover gasket leak. But I havent had the same engine in my bike any longer than 10K miles. LOL!
I spray HITACK made by permetex when installing my valve covers. Please dont get me started on the silicone gasket sealers

Remove the cover bolt nearest to the leak.
Remove the rubber from it.
Place a small washer next to the head of the bolt. [it cannot be seen]
Replace the rubber.
Replace bolt in head cover and your problem is solved.

This puts a little more pressure on the cover.

Don`t try to tighten the bolt too tight as they have a shoulder below the rubber and you will twist it off or strip the threads,

Yeah Be careful with those valve cover bolts.
I twisted one off. I was lucky enough to not have stripped out the threads in the cam caps.
I Used Permatex also, to get the gasket to stay on the valve cover.
Another thing to be careful of is when putting the rear valve cover back on, make sure you don't push out the rubber plugs on the cam caps. I had to redo the back valve cover because I found the rubber plug laying next to the battery box after I finished the whole job and was washing my Max.

Latest posts

Back