Bike security systems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
A Russian friend of mine had his R6 stolen a few years ago and decided to get another R6 but this time he pick up the lowjack system for it. Well last night he tells me it was stolen again and lowjack did not help at all in locating it. Can anyone recommend a system?

I still prefer a monster triangular link chain and better parking habits. In Russia, that might not matter but is it as bad a New York City? Lojack just aids in finding a bike after it is stolen. It does not hindet a bike from being stolen. A good chop shop can have a bike fully and neatly dis-assembled in less than 1/2 hour. And they know how to defeat lojack systems. Harley dealers love selling these cash cows to their customers! Is'nt there some kind of insurance when one buys/uses lojack systems?

my wife told me that she once found her motorcycle on top of a car even though she had chained it to the steel eyelets that were embedded into the parking space. My point, even with the best of sirens, crippling devices, chains, or what have you, if a thief wants your bike (s)he is gonna take if (s)he wants it bad enough. perhaps your friend should look into replacing the bike with something not so popular. supply and demand. As long as folks demand r6 parts, chop shops will supply them

imo, the best that one can do is park in a garage or secured parking lot. or somewhere, well lit, with lots of people. but even then you are counting on good Samaritans to keep an eye on your bike, which surprisingly enough, is rare. just hope that the thief isn't female---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kV_b3IK9M

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

We have a security system we had setup to sell but haven't sold any yet. It's got a lot of features including a system to alert you when the vehicle's position changed. You can also text it and it will answer back with it's location. Keep in mind that it would not work long with the battery disconnected though it does have it's own backup (which makes it nice).

Sean

Locked in a fully enclosed, alarmed trailer, always. Owner will put a 7.62mm or 10, from an SKS in their sorry ass before they get it out of the trailer too. So, the Cape is a bad spot for a thief. He doesn't know which house he picked,could be the wrong one. Plus armed cop friend next door. I hear rotor locks are good too. Always had a thing for thiefs.
Steve-o

Last edited:
As a deterrent to construction site thefts, contractors attached a GPS device to the article. Has resulted in location of tools, etc. Don't know what it is.

This has always been a concern for me, thefts, ever since losing my 1974 Yamaha RD350 in 1975 to a thief after only having it for a year! He cut my chain, took my bike.

Not comfortable taking an overnight trip, leaving the bike outside a motel/hotel.

Was thinking an alarm equipped enclosed trailer was the way to go.

No easy answer except "Don't take your eyes off it!".

Just get a room on the ground level and bring her in the room with you. That's what I would do.
I keep mine in my locked heated garage. But I think if you use a disc lock and maybe lock the steering and angle it where it makes it hard for them to lift it into a van. That's how they take them up here. They only advantage of a max being a little on the heavy side lol.
But if they really want it they are going to get it no matter what you do. Just make sure you insure it and save receipts for mods and many pics. Even would be a good idea to get it appraised after a expensive mod.
Just my 2 cents

Locked in a fully enclosed, alarmed trailer, always. Owner will put a 7.62mm or 10, from an SKS in their sorry ass before they get it out of the trailer too. So, the Cape is a bad spot for a thief. He doesn't know which house he picked,could be the wrong one. Plus armed cop friend next door. I hear rotor locks are good too. Always had a thing for thiefs.
Steve-o

I got so fed up with seeing bike theft around here I rigged a proximity switch/delayed trigger system to a can of Bear spray hidden under the faux tank. If the bike is started by someone without the prox key in their possesion the spray is deployed into the general facinity of the ridders face after a 3 minute time period. I figure that should be enough time for them to get up to speed.
I won't stop the theft, and the bike is likely to be totaled when recovered, but I figure one less maggot in the roast beef at that point.
I tested this out on Rockatansky once when he was riding "Skyshot" and it worked perfectly. Luckily he was at he end of my driveway waiting for me to get my helmet on when he took the spray, so the bike was basically good to go after he fell over.

I got so fed up with seeing bike theft around here I rigged a proximity switch/delayed trigger system to a can of Bear spray hidden under the faux tank. If the bike is started by someone without the prox key in their possesion the spray is deployed into the general facinity of the ridders face after a 3 minute time period. I figure that should be enough time for them to get up to speed.
I won't stop the theft, and the bike is likely to be totaled when recovered, but I figure one less maggot in the roast beef at that point.
I tested this out on Rockatansky once when he was riding "Skyshot" and it worked perfectly. Luckily he was at he end of my driveway waiting for me to get my helmet on when he took the spray, so the bike was basically good to go after he fell over.

Love it :clapping:

Directions please! I have got to say that is one of the best ideas yet. I love it. Now that's a system. Pease send details! I'll even go with "pretty please"

. My point, even with the best of sirens, crippling devices, chains, or what have you, if a thief wants your bike (s)he is gonna take if (s)he wants it bad enough.

True, but that only works for highly desirable bikes. As in desirable to the average lowlife who wants something for nothing...what comes to mind? A cult hit cruiser built before they were likely born, or a brightly colored crotch rocket? That's why year after year the 600-class sportbikes are the most stolen, most crashed, and most expensive bikes out there to insure. And yes, should a bike be targeted by "professional" theives, lojack and the police are extremely unlikely to ever recover it, since it'll be parted out within hours. Lojack is also quite expensive and as you said, not a guarantee of recovery. Ignition immobilizer systems to be are also kind of a wash on bikes.....it's too easy to get a couple guys, pick them up, and toss them in a van or truck, they don't have to be driven away under their own power.

Best you can do is to make it as inconvenient and risky as possible for thieves to target your bike. Make it too hard of a target to motivate them to move onto easier prey. Substantial chain locks(i.e could not be cut by the typical hardware store bolt cutters), disc locks, ect would all be very time consuming and/or noisy to disable. Plus, the Vmax(as much sentimental value it may have to you), doesn't carry a ton of resale dollar value. At the very best, it's a 5 year old bike that's worth $5k. Really tricked out customs are safer because the owner may have put identifying marks on the expensive parts, and reselling distinctive custom parts or the whole bike is extremely chancy since it's so easy to identify...it can't "blend in" with all the other bikes just like it for sale.

You have to wonder how many of the fabulous bargain bike parts on ebay came from a stolen vehicle.

Back