• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Motorycle For Sale burgundy 85 needs work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen a windscreen that large on a Vmax before. Wonder where he got that?
I've got a clear full touring size windshield for my 1st Gen vmax i'll let go cheap if anyone wants it? I can send some pics if interested?

I haven't got a return call back. I re-read the description. 'Bought it for hard to find factory options like backrest, windshield, crash bars, etc. Ended up finding all those parts new on the internet, so I don't need the bike. ' New? Sounds expensive. Stuff on the bike looks good to me. But the windshield doesn't look familiar, to me neither. Still waiting.

I haven't got a return call back. I re-read the description. 'Bought it for hard to find factory options like backrest, windshield, crash bars, etc. Ended up finding all those parts new on the internet, so I don't need the bike. ' New? Sounds expensive. Stuff on the bike looks good to me. But the windshield doesn't look familiar, to me neither. Still waiting.
Windshield was a factory Yamaha piece not many around anymore. I have one on my Bike. I think the angle of the picture makes it look bigger than it actually is. That bike is probably gone one of my Buddy's in the Houston area sent me the add about 5 minutes after it was listed but I could not make the trip back home right now.

Windshield was a factory Yamaha piece not many around anymore. I have one on my Bike. I think the angle of the picture makes it look bigger than it actually is. That bike is probably gone one of my Buddy's in the Houston area sent me the add about 5 minutes after it was listed but I could not make the trip back home right now.
Okay got you. By the way, the part came in today. All is good. Thank you once again, for a good deal and fast shipping.... 👍

Yesterday I asked a question about how to put your bike on a rear swing arm stand, but doing it solo is what I meant. Just picked one up at Harbor Freight. I saw a guy doing it on YouTube by himself but looked like a pain.

1630426748696.png

Yesterday I asked a question about how to put your bike on a rear swing arm stand, but doing it solo is what I meant. Just picked one up at Harbor Freight. I saw a guy doing it on YouTube by himself but looked like a pain.

View attachment 79372
Be sure it's centered, and that your L-brackets are tight to the swingarm. Try several different distances from the swingarm pivot, and you'll find a 'sweet-spot' which works for you. If one of the L-brackets moves while you're trying to lift the rear of the bike, stop, re-center the L-brackets equidistant from the swingarm pivot, and try again. Lifting when the L-brackets are not at the same distance from the swingarm pivot, and you risk dumping the bike.

Be sure it's centered, and that your L-brackets are tight to the swingarm. Try several different distances from the swingarm pivot, and you'll find a 'sweet-spot' which works for you. If one of the L-brackets moves while you're trying to lift the rear of the bike, stop, re-center the L-brackets equidistant from the swingarm pivot, and try again. Lifting when the L-brackets are not at the same distance from the swingarm pivot, and you risk dumping the bike.
Kudos for the use of equidistant.

Thanks. Is it better to do it while on the center stand? I really can't see me doing it by myself with the Beast...

I may be wrong but trying to use that stand on a bike, a very heavy one at that, which was not designed for a stand, is a recipe for disaster ending with much cursing and potentially tears.

I may be wrong but trying to use that stand on a bike, a very heavy one at that, which was not designed for a stand, is a recipe for disaster ending with much cursing and potentially tears.
That.

I certainly wouldn't try it unless I had a strong friend around to make sure it didn't end in tears.

Thanks. Is it better to do it while on the center stand? I really can't see me doing it by myself with the Beast...
This stand is instead of a centerstand. As in you installed a Kerker 4/1 which does-away with the centerstand.

I really thank you for sending the link to the video

But the guy is lifting a motorcycle that is about 220lbs lighter than a Vmax
Also, the bike in the video has a rectangular beam swing arm of the same height on each side.
The Vmax has a rounded beam swing arm, that sits at different heights.
The driveshaft side sits 3/4" lower to the ground than the left side.
Consequently, if you use the stand on the video on a Vmax, the bike would end up leaning to the left,
with a strong possibility of falling off

I really thank you for sending the link to the video

But the guy is lifting a motorcycle that is about 220lbs lighter than a Vmax
Also, the bike in the video has a rectangular beam swing arm of the same height on each side.
The Vmax has a rounded beam swing arm, that sits at different heights.
The driveshaft side sits 3/4" lower to the ground than the left side.
Consequently, if you use the stand on the video on a Vmax, the bike would end up leaning to the left,
with a strong possibility of falling off
Just what I was thinking. I really don't plan to use it with the vmax. I have a v65 project I'm about to start and I'm going to try it with that one. I don't really know why I bought it. Just curious I guess. I already made a customized motorcycle rolling stand out of a car dolly and it works fine. But everything at Harbor Freight is returnable..... :p

Sportbikes are engineered from the outset to use lifts like that. The Vmax clearly was not. That's why we're all so wary of using one. There's just so much that can go wrong.

I've seen someone that fabricated a rear lift for the Gen 2 Vmax that was quite brilliant, but I've never seen anything for the Gen 1.

I've never needed anything other than the center stand for my Vmax. If I were to ever need more, like if I ever buy an aftermarket exhaust or overhaul the engine, I'd bite the bullet and get a lift from Harbor Freight. They have several to choose from that work well.

Back