Burning oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telelinkken

Reaction score
How much oil do these things use?
I am going though about a quart per few tanks of fuel (150-200 mi.) !
I do not see any real bad leaks??
I am running wide open throttle about 80% of the time!!
Fuel consumption is also a concern!!!
Is this behavior "normal" for these machines???

I
How much oil do these things use?
I am going though about a quart per few tanks of fuel (150-200 mi.) !
I do not see any real bad leaks??
I am running wide open throttle about 80% of the time!!
Fuel consumption is also a concern!!!
Is this behaviour "normal" for these machines???
If you mean w.o.t. for 80% of the time then IMO no.
If you ride like that then you should not be surprised that fuel consumption is poor.
I would first eliminate the leaks, real bad or not.
Then perform a cylinder leak down test to establish the condition of the bores.
Finally fit a stronger throttle return spring so you ride the bike in a more normal manner?

I

If you mean w.o.t. for 80% of the time then IMO no.
If you ride like that then you should not be surprised that fuel consumption is poor.
I would first eliminate the leaks, real bad or not.
Then perform a cylinder leak down test to establish the condition of the bores.
Finally fit a stronger throttle return spring so you ride the bike in a more normal manner?
“Normal manner”?
What this is not a manner in which the bike is intended??
I got this one for the sheer thrill of acceleration! Am I wrong in my thinking???

80% throttle would put you WAY into the triple digits speeds where aren't legal except for a very few roads in the world. These bikes tend to get their best mileage at higher RPM's like the 5-6k or more.
Are you by chance over filling your engine? The oil level only needs to be about halfway up the sight glass. Much more then that and you will get excess windage which will push oil into the airbox and consumed by the engine.

I live in Montana
speeds where aren't legal except for a very few roads
But I am talking mostly 1st, 2nd and third gear on smaller roads. On the hwy I am traveling between 120 and 145, there is not much enforcement out here.

On the kickstand you can barely see the oil unless it is running.
On level ground it IS about halfway up the sightglass.
I am wondering if it is burning oil, I did not think about through the air box?

“Normal manner”?
I got this one for the sheer thrill of acceleration! Am I wrong in my thinking???
'Normal' as indicated by the owners handbook is to shift up at around 2750 r.p.m. (p5-6 refers) and try as best as I can I can't see where it says wring the balls off it.
I would also get your speedo checked - IF you are travelling at 145 then the engine will be doing about 8750 r.p.m. Given that maximum power is at 8K I think that speed is more than unlikely.
How you choose to ride your bike is entirely up to you but you should also accept the consequences. i.e. increased fuel and oil consumption and having one hell of an accident. I also feel for the poor sod who wasn't expecting to encounter a maniac travelling at 145 (ish))

I am sorry, I did not intend to offend you!
I was simply wondering if you run a Vmax REALLY hard does it use a bunch of oil?
No need for name calling!!

May God Bless you!!!

I change my oil yearly, ride moderately aggressive, 4000 miles per year don’t add any more oil, that’s my experience 81000 miles on bike.

“Normal manner”?
You're not wrong for hammering the throttle, if you want to wuss around to save gas, buy a wussy bike. Vmaxes were built for that and the design is based on MORE'S LAW; If MORE is better, too much is just right ! Try a Gen 2 some time ! All that said, at 120 MPH you're fuel consumption will be noticiable, LOL.

I am sorry, I did not intend to offend you!
I was simply wondering if you run a Vmax REALLY hard does it use a bunch of oil?
No need for name calling!!

May God Bless you!!!
Offend me? Good grief if you had offended me I'd have let you know in no uncertain terms. Life is far too short to take offence.
Similarly, if the cap fits you should put it on. If you ride the way you say you do then IMO you are not only a danger to yourself but also those who encounter you.
I think it it you who need the blessing of your God and not me.

OP is from NW Montana. A total state population of 1.1 million people in 147,000(ish) square miles. I can see why he rides like a bat out of hell with the bike. I am double the population in a state that is slightly smaller(122,000ish square miles) and I can maintain triple digit speeds until I run out of fuel.

Back to the topic at hand....yank the plugs. What do they look like? Black? Grey? Sooty? What does the airbox look like? Dry? Wet? Kicks and giggles....Is the exhaust putting smoke out when you romp on it? That much oil....should be smoke on hard acceleration.

Someone mentioning 120 on a Gen2 will see fuel mileage suffer.....on mine....I average 33mpg. 120-130 range....29mpg. Nothing extreme. Then again, I am not stopping and starting again. I am cruising for 40-50 miles in one shot.

OP is from NW Montana. A total state population of 1.1 million people in 147,000(ish) square miles. I can see why he rides like a bat out of hell with the bike. I am double the population in a state that is slightly smaller(122,000ish square miles) and I can maintain triple digit speeds until I run out of fuel.

Back to the topic at hand....yank the plugs. What do they look like? Black? Grey? Sooty? What does the airbox look like? Dry? Wet? Kicks and giggles....Is the exhaust putting smoke out when you romp on it? That much oil....should be smoke on hard acceleration.

Someone mentioning 120 on a Gen2 will see fuel mileage suffer.....on mine....I average 33mpg. 120-130 range....29mpg. Nothing extreme. Then again, I am not stopping and starting again. I am cruising for 40-50 miles in one shot.
With that kinda population. About the only thing you might encounter are deer. Do you guys have deer? Here in Wisconsin deer are trying to kill you. I've already killed 2 of the enemy. With my body on my 86 fj1200.

Last edited:
At a true road speed of 125 m.p.h. you will travel 183 feet per second (assuming my maths are correct).
I don't know how good your vision is on an unfaired bike at that speed, how far up the road you will be looking nor how long it will take you to react if you spot a hazard. You then have to instigate avoiding action which will also take time.
For us 'older generation' it takes (on average) 403 milliseconds to detect hazards in videos, and 605 milliseconds to choose how they would avoid the hazard. To put it another way we will have travelled some 200 feet before we do anything. :eek:
Younger drivers (20 to 25 years old) would still have travelled over 100 feet before taking action.
And that assumes we are paying attention or looking at the hazard.

On my 87 FZR1000 I hit a small strip of sod. Probably 2-3" around by a couple a ft long. Laying right across my line at around 150mph. Tank flu up and hit me in the chin (I was wearing a full face helmet). Bike did a severe Tank wobble. And lucky settled back down. When I was young and quik reflexes. Absolutely nothing I could do about it.... have no idea where it came from. Shouldn't have been there.

And yes I still exceed 150mph on some of my bikes. On occasion when no one else is around. And I'm 61 years old. I love extreme power and speed. Can't help it. I don't have a bike that isn't hopped up.

But I do also have 38 broken bones, and 47 pieces of metal in me. Over 6ft of surgical scars. None of my accidents involved others except 2 that were caused by other people. One that another guy on a honda locked up his back brake in front of me at 135mph. And another that was at 35mph when a guy pulled out in front of me.
But I could get hit by a meteorite walking on the sidewalk.
Live your life to the fullest. It's going to end anyhow.

Last edited:
Anyone running any bike at those kind of speeds is a good candidate for the 2023 Darwin award.
If you haven't seen that movie (The Darwin Awards), it's a good one. Chris Penn, (RIP) who stars in one of the stories, does a great job. His other standout role was for Quentin Tarantino in Reservoir Dogs where he's part of a crime family.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428446/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3028484377/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk
Stupid people doing stupid things: Darwin Awards.

If you haven't seen that movie (The Darwin Awards), it's a good one. Chris Penn, (RIP) who stars in one of the stories, does a great job. His other standout role was for Quentin Tarantino in Reservoir Dogs where he's part of a crime family.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428446/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3028484377/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk
Stupid people doing stupid things: Darwin Awards.
So now you are calling me stupid for enjoying speed when I'm out in the country with no one else around. And yet I find it hard to believe that you being a vmax rider have never accelerated above what is necessary and considered safe. In traffic. In a city. I received the majority of my injuries. And infact was laying on the ground while paramedics were directing traffic. Because the police weren't there yet. Because when they checked me I had no pulse. They determined I was doing less than the 35mph speed limit. When the driver pulled out and stopped in front of me. I was wearing a full face helmet and leathers. No fault of mine.

So like I said. Enjoy Life To The Fullest! Because even if you live your life in a shell. You're going to die.

Different strokes for different folks. Powerful motorcycles do tend to attract people with different views. As long as you do it safe for others, I'm good. I've done excessive speeds on lonely roads too but whenever I see another person sharing the road, I slow down. That was never in question here.

So now you are calling me stupid for enjoying speed when I'm out in the country with no one else around. And yet I find it hard to believe that you being a vmax rider have never accelerated above what is necessary and considered safe. In traffic. In a city. I received the majority of my injuries. And infact was laying on the ground while paramedics were directing traffic. Because the police weren't there yet. Because when they checked me I had no pulse. They determined I was doing less than the 35mph speed limit. When the driver pulled out and stopped in front of me. I was wearing a full face helmet and leathers. No fault of mine.

So like I said. Enjoy Life To The Fullest! Because even if you live your life in a shell. You're going to die.
I wasn't saying anything about you, I was speaking about the mention of the Darwin Awards, and referenced the movie of the same name. Sorry you took it personally.

Last edited:
Back