Burning oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There may be a few folk that have no-one that cares about them so anything they do to themselves is of no consequence.
However, even in those circumstances there will still be those that have to pick up the pieces and sew up (in some cases literally) loose ends to conclude whatever happened.
For the majority, they will have partners, children, relations and friends that care about them and taking needless risks and can at best cause anxiety and in the worse outcomes considerable emotional pain.

I suspect that yes, the majority of us have given the bike some welly and travelled at more than illegal speeds. I also suspect that the majority made the decision that the benefits(?) are outweighed by the risks not only to ourselves but also our licence and more importantly the well being of our nearest and dearest.

I have no issue with those who want the thrill of speed provided it is done in a manner that minimises the risk to the individual and (perhaps) more importantly to others.
Do in a controlled environment whether it be drag strip, circuit or whatever. Participants will still get hurt but at least there should be the facilities to handle that and the likelihood of third parties being hurt is minimal.

Ahh.. Utopia, a perfect world!
Very nice!!
That is exactly why I choose to live where I do, thank you!!!

I got the VMax to break the law regularly. And I do. I bought the bike to use all the speedometer. Unlike most of you that live further up north and have to contend with deer, in my locale....deer are very few and far between. Might have to deal with the occasional coyote.....but they are skittish at the best of times and they tend to do a good job avoiding vehicles on the road ways.

As for wrecking....I am fortunate enough to have never broken any bones while riding. I got all my falling down out of my system during my Motocross days. I am more careful now adays. I still have insanely fast reflexes for someone my age. And that isnt ego talking, that is truth. If I do bite it one day.....DNR, DNI, all tied into my license(thats a process and a half to do) along with a prepaid cremation. I accept the consequences of my actions. As I told so many....when I go down, wait till I am done bleeding and breathing. Then you can scoop me up, sponge me up, or shovel me up, toss me in the oven, hit broil and walk away. And that will be the end of me. I rather be taken out that way than crapping my pants in old age. But I am not looking to get there before my time.

The Darwin awards were mentioned.....as so many perish on the roads from wrecks....I never seen a motorcyclist come up as a contender for the Darwin Awards. Yes its a stupid way to die, but one that doesnt muster enough merit for an award. My state....from a story that was ran in June 2023....

NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – Newly released data from the U.S. Department of Transportation reveals New Mexico has a high per-capita rate of motorcyclist fatalities.
The U.S. Department of Transportation recently released the tally of motorcyclist fatalities from across the U.S. in 2021. The data reveals that the nationwide fatality count was the highest since data collection began in 1975.

New Mexico ranks among the states with the highest fatality rate per capita. Fifty-one motorcyclists died in New Mexico in 2021. Given New Mexico’s number of registered motorcycles, that’s a rate of nearly eight deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles.
Thirteen states and the District of Columbia had higher rates of motorcycle fatalities per capita than New Mexico. The District of Columbia, Texas, and Arkansas ranked as the worst, with over 13 deaths per 10,000 motorcycles in 2021.

The U.S. Department of Transportation also tracks details on helmet usage in each fatality. In New Mexico, about half of those who died on a motorcycle were using helmets.

I am not gonna dispute this or that with the data of the article, just showing in my state what the fatality rate for motorcyclists are. As for 2023, we are high for motorcycle fatalities still. There are no official numbers but news links for 2023 regarding motorcycle deaths are extremely numerous for NM. Despite all this....will I tamp down a motorcycle that was designed to gallop? No. The risk/reward factor is considered each and every time I am in the saddle. We all know this. Thats why we all ride. We all ride differently. To say the way one rides compared to another is foolish is foolish on its face. If we were all meant to ride the same way.....NONE of us would ever have had the option to consider a Vmax. We would all be tooling around on Honda Dreams and VW Beetles. Slow and dull.

Living in deer, hills and woods land if was a great time hitting max speed on a rental car for quite some time between death valley and Vegas. Flat nothing and miles of visibility.

But as far as living there I like the color green too much. Shade is also nice at times.

Back