Common carb questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
Re: Q&A start_part 2

Q: I’ve changed to a different intake system and want to sell my old stock carburetors, what has other sets sold for?

A: Stock carbs have sold for around $150-500 on eBay depending on the condition and if they have a jet kit installed or not.

Q: Are Dynojet stage 1 needles different then the stage 7 needles?

A: Yes they are.

Q:
Does anybody have or know where I can get instructions for installing a Stage 1 Kit on my 06 Max?

A: http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4116.pdf

Q: I was reading on another forum, to search for an intake leak, if you cover the throat of the carb and she dies.... no leak. If it continues to run - you've got a leak.
Is this true?

A: Air has to run through the carbs to suck the fuel into the engine. Even if it did work, the leak would have to be mammoth in size to allow it to continue running.

Q: What's the best way to extract A/F mixture screws?

A: Morley’s Muscle, www.morleysmuscle.com ,has been pretty successful at removing them, charges $50 to do it (He doesn’t charge if he can't remove it).

What he has that you could try is:

A special bushing that allows his drill bit to be perfectly centered. Then he drills completely through the screw with the 30 bit (He uses some special length bits that just go through and not into the seat area).

From there he tries to extract the screw (with a ground down extractor).

Then if it's not out, he drills out the screw to the size just under the thread diameter. He then uses a special tap, which he cleans the brass out of the threads.

When it's all done you put a new A/F screw set back in (screw, spring, washer, o-ring).

Q: I heard about testing for fuel richness by cruising at 4000rpm then crack open the throttle, what gear are you supposed to be in and what are the end results.

A:
4K in 5th gear...hold steady for 5 sec then quickly go to WOT. Should be no delay/hesitation. If there is needle is rich.

Q: What are the little rubber tubes sticking out at the base of the carbs?

A: They are your carb bowl drain tubes.

Q: How do I drain my carbs?

A: To the right of the bottom of each carb body is a small screw, that's your drain screw. Loosen it to drain the carbs.

Q: Is there a suitable replacement fuel filter for the Vmax I can get at an auto parts store?

A: Purolator, it has glass so you can see through. It’s a reusable filter that all you have to do is just change the screen. You can get it at O'Reilly's, Advance Auto and other auto parts stores. Make sure you get one for 3/8” fuel lines.

Q: On the stock airbox there appears to be two hose nipples on the bottom. The rear is larger than the front and the front has a small round foam filter inside where the air filter plugs into. On my bike the rear has a hose that attaches, but the front did not. Am I missing a hose or is no hose attached there? Also, what is the purpose of the two openings?

A: Rear is for crankcase ventilation. Front is a drain in case water gets in there. No hose goes to the front nipple.

Q: If I modify my stock exhaust on my '96 Max ( either drilling the endcaps or a 1 inch hole in center baffle ), I understand this might lean out my motor & kill my low/midrange . Can I simply shim the needles ( maybe about 1 mm ) to make this up , or is it much more involved than that ?

A: There are a few people that have done these 2 modifications. Those that felt they needed a shim used one that is about 0.020".

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back