DIY Paint job

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Yes yes the title makes me cringe thinking about how easy and how bad this could turn out.

Anyhow part of what I am wanting to do is repaint my engine. Right now it has parts where the paint has flaked off, it almost looks like there is two different coats, ect ect.

Bottom line is it needs to be taken care of. Now, I know the best option is to take the engine out and get a professional to paint it. I would love to do this... if it was free. :D

What I would like to see is some photos of DIY paint jobs with the engine still mounted.

What I want:
To repaint the engine gloss black
To repaint the silver areas on the engine white.

What I am concerned about:
Looking like crap.
Not getting a good coat.
Not being able to paint the entire engine.

So any guidance, photos, success stories or horror stories are welcome.

A lot of the results you'll get are a factor of how much paint work experience you have. CaptainKyle has done several engines and they turned out fantastic. I believe he's using a Soda Blaster to take the old off and Appliance Epoxy Paint to bring in the new. I know he doesn't mask much, he wipes the areas he doesn't want black with solvent soon after spraying the black. Cuts the paint time down drastically. As for doing the white details, I don't think there's any way to get around masking the areas off. It can be done with professional results but will take serious patience. Especially waiting for the Epoxy Paint to get good and dry.

I did the panels / fenders paint work on SkullDuggery with rattle cans. As it turned out, I'm very pleased with my $75.00 paint job. The Iridescent Clear Coat I used is even fuel proof...

Hope Kyle sees this thread and adds his 2 cents. It will be worth a fortune to you...

You can Soda Blast if you have one & if not use Talstrip paint remover. I have done both ways with about the same success. If you use the paint remover make sure you remove all your body work & tape off everything you dont want paint removed from frame etc. Spray it down with the paint remover & simply wash the old paint off with a your water hose with a decent nozzle on it. When you have all the old paint off use a primer & appliance epoxy & reapaint. tape off exaust or parts that are hard to get to to wipe excess paint off of. while the paint is still wet you can take a rag with thinner on it & wipe off the areas you still want silver on the motor. The epoxy takes a while to dry but looks good & seems to hold up well. Here are a couple pic. I wanted the motor all black on this one but if you want the silver areas simply wipe it off like I said. The frame paint on this bike was toast so I painted it while I was at it.

Attachments

• 89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 002.jpg
    89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 002.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 72
  • 89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 003.jpg
    89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 003.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 006.jpg
    89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 006.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 008.jpg
    89 Vmax & 85 blue paint 008.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 74
Yes yes the title makes me cringe thinking about how easy and how bad this could turn out.

Anyhow part of what I am wanting to do is repaint my engine. Right now it has parts where the paint has flaked off, it almost looks like there is two different coats, ect ect.

Bottom line is it needs to be taken care of. Now, I know the best option is to take the engine out and get a professional to paint it. I would love to do this... if it was free. :D

What I would like to see is some photos of DIY paint jobs with the engine still mounted.

What I want:
To repaint the engine gloss black
To repaint the silver areas on the engine white.

What I am concerned about:
Looking like crap.
Not getting a good coat.
Not being able to paint the entire engine.

So any guidance, photos, success stories or horror stories are welcome.

I used Duplicolor high temp engine paint, with the engine still in the bike. The results were very good.

Use prep solvent to thoroughly clean and prep the parts to be painted. Use painters masking tape to protect what you don't want painted. After drying, run the engine to cure the paint.

Back