Frame Braces

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mud_shark86

Reaction score
I picked up some 3/4" stainless tubing from work. (free so I had to take it home!) Thinking on making some frame braces. More for just looks. I have an idea how to mount them on the front, but back by the seat I'm stumped.

Just wondering how the ones you buy mount. Do they clamp around the frame? If so, anyone have any ideas how to make something that will work and not look too bad?

oops sorry guys..I put this in the wrong catagory...I just noticed the Fabrication section..and even better a guy that made his own frame braces. Feel free to move this thread mods!

Dale Walker braces are a bolt on. They wrap around the tube in the back as you mentioned.

RMS sportmax braces have a tab that gets welded to the frame in the back. You then bolt the brace to the tab in the back and up in front.

I would think the easiest way to go for the home builder would be to weld a tab on in the back and then bolt the stainless tubing onto it like RMS does.

I still like the idea of wraping something around the tubing of the frame...If you don't like the end result of your build, remove it and junk it. Like I say, this is for looks....doesn`t need to be structually strong..

it is far more then looks. Actually will be moving a bit closer to our set this weekend (we hope).

the exactrep ones clamp on and i noticed an immediate difference.

Noone has any ideas how to "clamp them on?" I was thinking u-bolts...I want something easy to build with limited tools hahaha.

The clampon's I'm sure help but to me they clamp in the wrong place to provide the best frame reinforcement. The RMS brace lines up with a frame member so I think that that would work best.
I probably won't go with a frame brace as my delrin motor mounts work well and the little bit of vibs are not bad at all. I possibly would go with aluminum mounts should I have problems with my delrins or I pick up a second Vmax.

the exactrep ones clamp on and i noticed an immediate difference.

Greg,

Do you have installation instructions for installing the exactrep braces? I got a set this week but not sure on installation. Particularly the upper brace? I got Knee Pucks also so im not real sure on what parts go with what mod. Any ideas on the braces would be appreciated.

i'm garrett... but anyways it should be pretty self explanatory, i don't think i got any instructions either.

theres a clamp that goes up near the battery and then it bolts thru the frame mounting bolts. i can clarify later tho probably.

Sorry Garrett. I was thinking of one guy and typin to another i guess. I got a spacer that I was wondering where it went. Im assuming the top clamp needs it for some reason. thanks anyway.

2x spacers should be for the right side near the downtube. u can see that it won't sit flat without them. they go b/t the frame and the frame brace.

Thanks Garret.
I was working on a friends bike in the garage. I said I wasnt gonna mess with putting on these braces and knee pucks till I got his bike done but I decided to set the braces on last night to check em out. Man I couldnt figure out what went where.
I have two long bolts and two spacers (actually i have three but i think two are to make the same length as the other one) that im not sure where they go. I think the spacers are for the lower part where they bolt to the frame. I have engine guards on there and there are spacers for the right side (not the left hmmm?) I attached a pic of my parts. the spacers, clamps, and bolts are in the middle. (rest are for my knee pucks)
Heres what im guessing. Im guessing im missing the short bolts for the top clamps. There is no reason to have the long bolts up there.
Are the long bolts for the top bolts on the lower frame brace? to make up the difference of the spacers? It looks like the left side frame bolt on the top is different than the rest?
Did you use your stock frame bolts or did you have to get different bolts?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 52
Ahh i re-read your reply. sao both spacers are for the right side. I have a spacer already in there for the engine guard. so I only need one spacer. What are the two loong bolts for do you think? Did you reuse your stock frame bolts?

the hose clamps, and the bars on the right (i think) are for the knee braces. But you shouldn't need the bars anymore the knee braces will rest on the frame braces.

i dont' remember if i re-used the left side frame bolts but i know the ride side had to be replaced as with the spacer they are too short. i imagine thats what the 2 long bolts are for. It looks like you are indeed missing a second bolt for the clamps for the top of the frame.

oh man, look what i just found. pics from when I took some for bill kratz. hope this helps!

Attachments

• SSPX0283.jpg
    SSPX0283.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 58
  • SSPX0284.jpg
    SSPX0284.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 59
  • SSPX0285.jpg
    SSPX0285.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 54
  • SSPX0286.jpg
    SSPX0286.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 55
  • SSPX0287.jpg
    SSPX0287.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 50
  • SSPX0288.jpg
    SSPX0288.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Garrett. Looks like my knee pucks attach a little different than yours. Your ear pieces stick out farther than mine. my pucks clamp right to the frame they dont stick out like yours offa the frame. that may be a problem. but looking at the attached picture they were on together at one time. so its gotta work.
I am thinking the two long bolts and the spacers are for the right side at the lower attachment. And I agree I think im missing the two bolts for the upper clamps. Thanks for the pics.
attached are pics from when these were installed on a previous bike. Its hard to tell if there are spacers on the right side lower like on mine. looks like the brace is close to the frame.

Attachments

• DSCN1448.JPG
    DSCN1448.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1447.JPG
    DSCN1447.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1449.JPG
    DSCN1449.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 47
Thanks Garrett. Looks like my knee pucks attach a little different than yours. Your ear pieces stick out farther than mine. my pucks clamp right to the frame they dont stick out like yours offa the frame. that may be a problem. but looking at the attached picture they were on together at one time. so its gotta work.
I am thinking the two long bolts and the spacers are for the right side at the lower attachment. And I agree I think im missing the two bolts for the upper clamps. Thanks for the pics.
attached are pics from when these were installed on a previous bike. Its hard to tell if there are spacers on the right side lower like on mine. looks like the brace is close to the frame.

yea yours mount similar to mine, the ear pieces i think look further in mine b/c the seat is off.. they have to mount that high to clear the frame braces.

the 'spacers' altho look big only stick out a little bit because of the recess they go into. just enough for the brace to clear the downtube.

Latest posts

Back