Fuel gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I have been on here fellow Vmaxer’s I keep in contact with a few on here like Gent and Sean. I am truly sorry if I have not responded to some of your messages. I don’t have the email that connects to this account anymore, so I don’t see any message stating a message has been sent. Anyways just posting something that I am currently in the midst of making and could possibly turn into a multiple run. However I am not making any promises… the gauge set up my brain is working on several ideas, the sending unit is a given lol

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2122.jpeg
    IMG_2122.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2124.jpeg
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Looks like a well-executed piece of work. Don't neglect to show us the gauge mount!

I recall reading somewhere about a serendipitous way of 'gauging' your gas level. I think it was in a 1960's issue of Popular Science. A guy wrote in that he had an old car with a non-functional gas gauge. He also had kids who were young and inquisitive, as-in, "I wonder if this golf ball will fit in this hole?" The 'hole' turned-out to be the gas tank filler neck of his car.

He discovered that the ball would start to make more noise bouncing-off the insides of the metal gas tank once the gas was down to near-empty. An unintended consequence, and it saved him from dropping the gas tank.

Looks like a well-executed piece of work. Don't neglect to show us the gauge mount!

I recall reading somewhere about a serendipitous way of 'gauging' your gas level. I think it was in a 1960's issue of Popular Science. A guy wrote in that he had an old car with a non-functional gas gauge. He also had kids who were young and inquisitive, as-in, "I wonder if this golf ball will fit in this hole?" The 'hole' turned-out to be the gas tank filler neck of his car.

He discovered that the ball would start to make more noise bouncing-off the insides of the metal gas tank once the gas was down to near-empty. An unintended consequence, and it saved him from dropping the gas tank.
I will post when I get my head around it, Ideas can lead to crazy ideas, in short I am going to gut some gauges, create a 3D printed mount and new gauge background to mount them all together. Well in my head that is what is going to happen. My bike has been named Franky for years, simply because of different parts of other bikes and brand of bikes on him. Might as well keep up the tradition… oh don’t forget the new generic fuel sending unit…. Typically used on boats hahaha!

G

It’s been a long time since I have been on here fellow Vmaxer’s I keep in contact with a few on here like Gent and Sean. I am truly sorry if I have not responded to some of your messages. I don’t have the email that connects to this account anymore, so I don’t see any message stating a message has been sent. Anyways just posting something that I am currently in the midst of making and could possibly turn into a multiple run. However I am not making any promises… the gauge set up my brain is working on several ideas, the sending unit is a given lol
Friend, could you tell me what length of sensor you used? you did a great job.

Friend, could you tell me what length of sensor you used? you did a great job.
Once you cut the hole, stick a tape down in there, order/cut to that
dimension. There are different "sensor's" out there, some made to a specific length, some you tailor to fit.

I do sell sending units that we've used for our conversions. The location we use needs a 9" long tube. It doesn't need a float (though I have installed some for customers). It does require cutting out the seat base and removing some foam for clearance. I've got a few of the older version sending units (with smaller tubing) that I would sell cheaper (they don't self adjust for the various fuel types out there.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank Inside View.jpg
    Fuel Tank Inside View.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Sending Unit Bend Angle.jpg
    Sending Unit Bend Angle.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's the 9" length

Attachments

• 9 Inch Sending Unit.jpg
    9 Inch Sending Unit.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0