Harleys makes you a tough guy...really?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the contrary, I think HD's sound like shit. It's such an incredibly generic sound of a cement mixer motor barely managing to hold an idle. Inline 4 motors have the sound of precision, the Max motor has the sound of a race tuned big block V8. Even the Honda V30 motor, the little 500cc V4, had a unique sound.

Harley's? Every one sounds exactly the same. 99% of harleys have straight pipes for that annoying, generic sound everybody hates(except for the owners, who think it's unique and gets attention). The sound of two off-balance pistons wildly flinging around inside a leaky case. What's to like about that? It doesn't sound powerful(it isn't), it doesn't sound precise(it's not). It's just loud noise. The definition of "noise pollution".

That South Park episode hit the nail straight on about this one, and the bit with taking dumps on all their seats nearly made me fall out of my seat.

On the contrary, I think HD's sound like shit. It's such an incredibly generic sound of a cement mixer motor barely managing to hold an idle. Inline 4 motors have the sound of precision, the Max motor has the sound of a race tuned big block V8. Even the Honda V30 motor, the little 500cc V4, had a unique sound.

Harley's? Every one sounds exactly the same. 99% of harleys have straight pipes for that annoying, generic sound everybody hates(except for the owners, who think it's unique and gets attention). The sound of two off-balance pistons wildly flinging around inside a leaky case. What's to like about that? It doesn't sound powerful(it isn't), it doesn't sound precise(it's not). It's just loud noise. The definition of "noise pollution".

That South Park episode hit the nail straight on about this one, and the bit with taking dumps on all their seats nearly made me fall out of my seat.

Harley's do not all the sound the same.....Pan, Shovel, Evo, the new Blockhead....They all have a different cadence and sound....

You don't like them and that's fine......Others LOVE them and that's fine too...

Don't be prejudiced against the bike......Wait for the rider to be a jerk and then pounce.....

Assholes ride all makes and models.....

$0.02 deposited

last weekend i was sitting at a light at a major intersection with a bp station on the corner and a guy on a harley pulled out of the station and into the lane next to me and just started revving the shit out of his bike,i turned to at least give him a nod and he didnt look at me.when i looked ahead again he started revving his bike up again so when it turned green i obliged and gave him a long black line thru the intersection to stare at.that was the last i heard of him.wouldve liked to have seen him again though.

Haahaha sweet. I do the same to twats in Subaru (Un)imprezas

I was at this girls Bday party on Sat night and was telling her about the Max rebuild and color scheme of it all. Some guy starts listening in, cool must be a rider, then he chimes in with "what second here, all this Im listening to and its not even a Harley?!!" At least he knew the Vmax, and succeded that Id smoke his $20k Screamin Eagle that had $15k into it. I think it was more chrome than motor. Talking to him some more since Bday girl walked off and I didnt really know anyone else, he starts tell me about the other bike he's "having" done! Oh this is gonna be good, I say to myself. He's getting a "club sytle bike" built. Whats that I say, its like the Sons of Anarchy and the older Hell's Angels bikes with the front fairings he says.:ummm::ummm: :rofl_200::rofl_200:
This to funny, my partner from work and I have made so much fun of these types of guys. In East County San Diego you dont impersonate or mimic the Hell's Angels, OR a TV show of, well what ever there supposed to be. Ive only seen it once and it aint real life.
Well thats just how I feel.

brrraaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppp papapapapapapapapappaapapapap. I hate their sound with a passion, almost as bad as a ricer car with a fart can muffler.
People ask em at work what i ride all the time, actually they say, "you have a harley" my response is usually something like, If you ever see me ob a harley something went seriously wrong in my life

Back when i was younger i had a license plate frame on my truck that said "I'd rather have AIDS than ride a Harley"

Ahhhhh all this Harley talk reminds me of a funny story...

A couple of years ago 02Moneypit and I were sitting at a stop light on our Max's just minding our own business. I looked to my right and some chap on a Road King with his old lady sitting all proud on the back starts revving his engine at me. Of course I was not about to let old limp dick get by with the challenge. When we took off I did a 300' rolling burnout while shifting, didn't hook up until 3rd gear, and then was GONE. According to Mr. Moneypit the guy just hung his head down and wouldn't even acknowledge us at the next light we had to stop at. Of course I was laughing my arse off at him.

Maybe if I heard two "different" Harley motors side by side with the stock exhausts, there might be a slight difference, though pretty much the only thing that's changed over the years is the pickle jar lids they call pistons have gotten bigger and the valve covers changed shape so mechanics can tell a '55 apart from an '05 without having to look up the VIN.

While HD "enthusiasts" may be able to tell the unique code of backfires, pops, and misfires apart, I have yet to ever hear a HD that doesn't sound like one. The loping, shitty idle that always sounds like it's about to stall. The un necessary revving or "blipping" at every single fucking stoplight. Even Harley admits they specifically tune their engines for classic sound, and even tried to trademark the "potato" sound a few years ago. They got laughed out of court. Everything about HD is one big excuse. What anyone else would call "stagnation" and "lack of innovation" they call "Heritage" and "nostalgia". The name sells it pure and simple.

Not to mention even Harley discreetly admits they can't build a decent bike. They gave up racing in the 70's when they were still bringing iron engines and drum brakes to compete with sleek, modern Japanese I4s, stating their excuse as they wanted to focus on the cruiser market. Their last possible indication they could build a quality bike was with Buells, to which they unceremoniously canned, again stating "a focus on the cruiser market and Harley-Davidson brand". Recent years have them outsourcing more and more parts from Japan, including virtually all the electronics and ECU's(asking Denso to build a Harley ECU must be like asking NASA to build a mentos-and-coke rocket), as well as every bit of the fuel systems on newer FI bikes. More recent carburetors all also all imported.

Year after year they keep pumping out the same bikes, maybe introducing a new paint scheme or a new style of tassels for the handlebars. It's like going to a Ford dealer that's still selling Pintos, billing them as "nostalgic".

Harley: Mass Produced uniqueness. You start with the exact bike as everyone else, and can then buy countless styles of chrome bits to "make it your own". I've actually seen at a bike rally people get on the wrong bike and not realize it until they went to put the key in. Guess their "customized" road king was exactly the same as someone else's "custom" road king. I guess it isn't really custom then, is it?

custom bikes hmmm.... lets look at some VMAX customs shall we and decide harley:rofl_200: or vmax:punk: note the turbo on the genaration2 never seen a turbo on a harley:hmmm:

Attachments

• img04910.jpg
    img04910.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Lazareth-Yamaha-V-Max-SWe%20(08).jpg
    Lazareth-Yamaha-V-Max-SWe%20(08).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 29
well I stand corrected well I still take a custom vmax over a harley anyhting anyday:)

I get along with most people who ride HD. When one of them does flip you shit, just remind them that their own forks are japanese.

Forks, carbs/FI system, electronics/gauges, and I'm sure there's more tidbits that are imported, which likely means "we couldn't get it right and gave up". With the Vrod entry to the "muscle cruiser" market, they realized they couldn't make an engine that does anything other than haul fat asses around at a lethargic pace, and got Porche to make them a motor.

Even a few minutes of reading about turbo Harleys reveals why they're quite rare indeed. Since HD's have no cooling system, the extra heat generated from running turbo burns the motors out in no time, as if their life expectancy wasn't low enough already. Many people who supposedly turbo'd their HD's report that it was "difficult to tune", as in they couldn't get both top end and low end to run right at the same time.

Who in their right mind would buy a HD to go fast? If you want a "fast" American bike, you're pretty much SOL, and forget about Victory. Their Polaris-built engines are nearly as pathetic as HD for horrid power-to-size output, with their main 1600cc twin putting out a whopping 74 crank HP, and will detonate with anything but hi-test. Other notable features are straight-cut gears that whine at speed, 38mpg, and somehow a "choke" on a FI bike required for cold starts.

edit: *w00t* Boostaholic!

Forks, carbs/FI system, electronics/gauges, and I'm sure there's more tidbits that are imported, which likely means "we couldn't get it right and gave up". With the Vrod entry to the "muscle cruiser" market, they realized they couldn't make an engine that does anything other than haul fat asses around at a lethargic pace, and got Porche to make them a motor.

Even a few minutes of reading about turbo Harleys reveals why they're quite rare indeed. Since HD's have no cooling system, the extra heat generated from running turbo burns the motors out in no time, as if their life expectancy wasn't low enough already. Many people who supposedly turbo'd their HD's report that it was "difficult to tune", as in they couldn't get both top end and low end to run right at the same time.

Who in their right mind would buy a HD to go fast? If you want a "fast" American bike, you're pretty much SOL, and forget about Victory. Their Polaris-built engines are nearly as pathetic as HD for horrid power-to-size output, with their main 1600cc twin putting out a whopping 74 crank HP, and will detonate with anything but hi-test. Other notable features are straight-cut gears that whine at speed, 38mpg, and somehow a "choke" on a FI bike required for cold starts.

edit: *w00t* Boostaholic!

For a fast US built bike you can look at a Fischer sportbike. US made, but uses a Korean engine. Their top end setup even has Ohlins rear suspension.

www.fischer1.com is their website. Kind of a cool bike to be honest.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, I'd never heard of Fischer bikes. It appears they use the exact same engine as the Hyosung 650's. 80hp at the crank, 66 at the rear tire, but with 54 pounds of torque. It doesn't measure up to any Japanese 600 class bike for HP, but the Vtwin beats them on torque.

Man, they really ham up the "America" thing, don't they? I swear every single sentence contains "USA made" or "by American craftsmen". Right down to the eagle/flag logo, while they're rather vague about the origin of the engine, only making a passing reference to Hyosung. Guess that's to be expected. I kinda like how they say the 650 motor is "just right", having "plenty of torque and power", but "not so much you can't twist the throttle to the stop". Huh?

Still, I'd take one before a HD any day.

Latest posts

Back