how to install Progressive springs in an late model vmax ( 06 ) ??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently there are multiple forks on the Max from 93-up?

I finally took my fork into the hardware store and 10mm allen head fits the bottom bolt. Haven't been able to buge it yet though.

I will post pics when I FINALLY get it.

:ummm:

OK got the bolt out!

Cut the L off the 10mm allen wrench then put it into a 10mm impact socket. Broke it free with the impact wrench and then used a rubber broom handle to hold the dampner and spun it out by hand.

Hopefully I will get a right up all done when finished.....

OK got the bolt out!

Cut the L off the 10mm allen wrench then put it into a 10mm impact socket. Broke it free with the impact wrench and then used a rubber broom handle to hold the dampner and spun it out by hand.

Hopefully I will get a right up all done when finished.....

Remember the blue loctite on the bolt when reassembling...

I use lots of non chlorinated brake clean as well!:banana:

I just watched the how to video. When I picked up my Max last fall (just before snow) I noticed the forks seal on same side was bad. I picked up new Yamaha seals and Progressive springs to install in the spring when I can get it out of storage. I noticed that the fork was leaking oil from the bottom. I removed the axle and found that the allen nut on bottom of fork was loose! I tightened it up and what do you know, it began leaking worse! Is there a washer in there that might be crushed? Or do I have a big problem? I forgot to mention that this bike has been down on the left side. Looks like it was at slow speed because damage looks very minimal. Here's a pick of the fork with some scratches on it. BTW it's a '98.

Attachments

• 2012-09-08_15-38-36_274.jpg
    2012-09-08_15-38-36_274.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 23
I just watched the how to video. When I picked up my Max last fall (just before snow) I noticed the forks seal on same side was bad. I picked up new Yamaha seals and Progressive springs to install in the spring when I can get it out of storage. I noticed that the fork was leaking oil from the bottom. I removed the axle and found that the allen nut on bottom of fork was loose! I tightened it up and what do you know, it began leaking worse! Is there a washer in there that might be crushed? Or do I have a big problem? I forgot to mention that this bike has been down on the left side. Looks like it was at slow speed because damage looks very minimal. Here's a pick of the fork with some scratches on it. BTW it's a '98.

Had the same problem with a set of forks on 83 YZ100 I just redid for a family member. I tore the forks down, cleaned up the damper rod bolts, cleaned up the fork leg where the copper washer seats, installed a new copper washer (did seals since it was apart) and put it all back together. Been sitting around in my basement for 2 months now with now signs of leaking. Hopefully yours will be just as easy to repair.

Back