I got lucky...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horrendous

Reaction score
Just got home from a 12 mile or so ride and noticed my tire when I parked in the garage. Wonder how long I was riding on that for.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343619889850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343619889850.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 80
howd u not notice that sooner? do you do a once over before u get on the bike each time?

I was out in salt lake and the tire was fine.. so it happened on the way home. It's about a 12 mile trip from the gas station I was at to where I live.

Really thought the tire had more life in it than that. I'm just glad the tire held its self together all the way back to the house and didn't cone apart on the freeway @ 90mph.

When they let go they usually just go flat without any fanfare. Likely you had a small strip showing when you left and the large one when you got there. I think I've seen them last another 50 or so miles from what you are showing before they go flat.

Haha.. horrendous... It's a 190/50/17 michellin pilot power. Not sure on the age of the tire.. it came with the 17" wheel I bought but was practically new when I got it. Lots of high speed runs and burnouts (120+mph , I mostly ride with sportbikes) I have a new pilot power 2ct on the way so well see how it goes.

I have a yamaha dealer about 2 miles from my house.. debating if I need to trailer it down there or try and limp it down there at 10 mph

When they let go they usually just go flat without any fanfare. Likely you had a small strip showing when you left and the large one when you got there. I think I've seen them last another 50 or so miles from what you are showing before they go flat.

Not many turns where you are I'm guessing Sean?

Depending on how fast a tire goes flat will determine the fanfare. Had a friend end up unconscious in a field when his rear tire went flat before he entered a turn at 90+.

I had a sidewall blow out on a good rear tire after I hit a nasty pothole a couple of years ago. Immediate loss of control, turning is impossible. Luckily I was on a straight bit of road and traveling at near the speed limit.

I now always give my tires the once over before I ride.

-Mark-

Agreed on a quick tire check. If you are aware your tires are thin you can ride accordingly. I once rode into town (about 15 miles) with a pocket full of screws and a screwdriver. When the heads of the screws wore down that they started leaking I'd pull over, put new screws in, and refill it with air.

Had one of the Gen 2 guys at Eureka Springs this year with a bald tire like that. As I noted he made it about 50 miles before it finally wore down enough that it wouldn't hold air. Of course he knew it was low and rode accordingly.

A couple of years ago I had a FRONT tire go flat on me out of the blue and I was in a corner (long sweeper). Almost put it down but was able to recover it. I sped up and looked over the front and could actually see the tire walking off and on the rim as I shifted around on the bike. I sped up some more after I got it on the wheel again and run about 80mph down the road (my father in laws Harley) and slowed down to make my final turn to a place with air. Filled it up and rode it quickly back home again the last 6 miles before it went flat again (it had torn the tube).

The whole reason I had that problem was the front tire had been going low and I didn't check before I left (and he hadn't told me that).

That tire owes you nothing more. I'm glad it didn't go flat on ya. I try to get in the habit of checking my pressures before going riding. That forces me to do a once over.
Steve-o

I used to go for 150mph plus rides on western texas roads and i noticed a situation like that. I rode home no prob at reasonable speeds. And those roads are like heavy grit sandpaper... The tire never deflated... It was a Pirelli Diablo...

I have found that the tires which are the +=*\}^}^#+!!?! to mount because of their stiff sidewalks offer the best stability in the event of a deflation.

Personally, if I have a flat due to a tread penetration and then have had to ride it flat back home, (at reduced speed, of course) I throw the tire away. I don't try to patch it because I expect the carcass has sustained damage making it unsafe to operate at speeds and loads to which I would be subjecting it. You may want to do otherwise, for me the streets are dangerous enough.

I'm just grinning ... looking at the circumferential score marks on the tyre, and the "w" shape the tyre is making at the bottom of the pic.
At least you got your moneys worth. :punk:

Ride it down nice and easy, you'll be OK.

Thats nothing, I ride them till they look like this......

IMAG0903.jpg

Back