is torquing the right hand swingarm bolt necessary

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashmymax

Reaction score
I dont have an allen socket for my torque wrench. I think the torque is only 4 lbs. I just tightened it until the swingarm had no side to side play then gave it a little snug. Is this ok or do i need to go buy some tools? Or does anyone have another way of doing it? Thanks

:punk: You'll be alright, just keep an eye on it. Good Luck, Spurs

Yes, the pivot bolt doesn't need much torque as you are only taking the play out. The Jamb nut however needs torqued.

Sean

The big nut needs torquing....

The trick is torquing it without overtightening the little allen head bolt that tensions the swingarm bearing, do it wrong and you can crush the bearing or put the swing arm in a bind....

There is a special tool to hold backup on the allen head while torquing the big nut , but I got around that..here's how

Rear off the ground...

Back out the right side stuff and then torque the left side non adjustable bolt first.

Everything else pertains to the right side adjustable nut/bolt

Back out the allen head "too" far and then tigheten the big nut till its pretty tight, then back it off just a little, your trying to get it close to it's "home' position when it's torqued.

Tighten the allen head bolt till you can no longer wiggle the swingarm, sorta like setting bearing tension on the front wheels bearings on a car...Once you got it where you want it take a marker and mark the allen head AND the frame area so that the marks line up, this is your reference point and where you want the inner allen bolt to line up with when you're all done.

Now; you KNOW WHEN YOU TORUE THE BIG NUT THE ALLEN HEADS GOING TO TURN WITH IT.
So back the allen head out about a 1/2-3/4 's of a turn and then torque the big nut, not completely, maybe halfway.

While your torquing down feel of the swingarm and make sure you don't accidentally overtighten the allen into the bearing,........................remove the torque wrench and see where the allen head nut ended up compared to your reference marks......what your doing is trying to get a feel for where that allens gonna be when your done......You then figure out how much the allens gonna spin when you torque, then adjust the allens starting position accordingly so that it ends up in the right spot after torqueing the big nut...It's alot easier than it sounds....

I only do it this way 'cause I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to pay Yammie for fancy tools I'll rarely need

Last edited:
Back