Kerker can to mid pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
Hope some of you have a suggestion. I just recieved some awsome exhaust parts from Sean, as normal for his parts. [FONT=&quot]Only issue is that with the new and all clean parts I am having trouble getting a good connection from my can to the mid pipe. For some reason I thought the can attached to the frame but it only attaches the to mid pipe itself. Well my old one never has problems probably do to excess carbon buildup between the two pieces helped getting them to stay together with an average hose clamp. I tried that again but I can?t get it tight enough to clamp them down snug. Any ideas to make sure they are nice and tight? I am looking now at getting a t-bolt clamp that would allow me a little more tourque to get it tighter but does anyone use and type of adhesive for this? It seems a litte odd ther isn?t a more solid way to attach because with some vibration I would hate for the can to fall off, especially how awesome it looks! Any suggestions[/FONT]

I don't have a kerker so I am not familiar with how the can attaches. I'm guessing there is a small piece of pipe on the can itself that slides over the mid pipe and you are wrapping a clamp around the small piece of pipe?

If that is the case, you could cut a small slit in the pipe on the can. This will allow it to compress a little further. A t-bolt clamp as you suggested or a stainless band clamp could work.

You could put some copper RTV on the connection to help seal it.

If its really loose, you could hit up the local auto parts store and rent a tail pipe expander. Autozone and Advance auto both have the tool. Their rental program is nice. You pay for the tool, use it, bring it back and get a full refund. The tool should do the trick and only takes a minute or two.

I don't have a kerker so I am not familiar with how the can attaches. I'm guessing there is a small piece of pipe on the can itself that slides over the mid pipe and you are wrapping a clamp around the small piece of pipe?

If that is the case, you could cut a small slit in the pipe on the can. This will allow it to compress a little further. A t-bolt clamp as you suggested or a stainless band clamp could work.

You could put some copper RTV on the connection to help seal it.

If its really loose, you could hit up the local auto parts store and rent a tail pipe expander. Autozone and Advance auto both have the tool. Their rental program is nice. You pay for the tool, use it, bring it back and get a full refund. The tool should do the trick and only takes a minute or two.

+1 copper rtv. Use ut all the time on snowmobile Y pipes

Damn it's amazing how fast people respond here. Thank you for your input! All your assumptions on the Kerker are accurate and it does have slit now so I will try the t clamp and maybe some of the sealant. I think that should work. Hope so cause I have a rise scheduled for tonight!

Thank again. The help here is amazing, wish my knowledge was greater so I could help out more but it's coming.

If there is a channel on the side of the can you definetly need that bracket. Or some way to hold can to frame. It should not be suspended from just the header.

Is this a 4 to 1 exhaust??? Should have a bracket that goes on the can connects to frame. It looks like this

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=22498

Yes this is the bracket, but it attached to the mid pipe and not the can. therefor there is no real stabilization for the can excpet a good solid connection to the mid pipe, and yes I have the 4-1.

If there is a channel on the side of the can you definetly need that bracket. Or some way to hold can to frame. It should not be suspended from just the header.

Yes you got it exactly, but I was under the assumtion also that it attached to the can but it attached to the midpipe. On my old one it was on there pretty good due to time but with the new parts it slides pretty easy. I thkn the copper RTv is a must otherwise even with a screw in the bottom I can see things vibrating and off goes the nicely chromed can.

picked up the t-bolt clamp and some copper rtv. After seeing the new clamp it to me seems like the PO used a standard clamp and probably worked on his setup. With the new parts this new clamp is much beefier and seems like it is the proper tool for the job.

If you don't use a circumferential clamp/band around your canister fastening it to the bike somewhere, or have some other method of fastening it to the bike, you are gonna lose your canister. It happened to my buddy's D&D canister right in-front of me & I almost ran over it.

This is crazy on how many people have keeners and have never complained about the can not having any attachment to the bike. Hopefully some more people chime in about this. I attached mine with a t-bolt clamp and it's solid as all hell!

The original clamp was a tbolt style if I remember correctly. Plus with the screw installed under the clamp it should not come off (though it can happen). Make sure to send me pics of it all installed so I can add it to my chrome section.

Back