looks like rust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikidoka

Reaction score
Been having a rough time getting the vmax running this year. Had to let it sit all last year and through winter for what turned out to be severe sleep apnea. Until that was treated I was having trouble driving a car safely let alone a motorcycle.

So, won't idle for very long. Have done pea shooter and shotgun several times and changed the fuel filter. Idles great for a few days then craps out.

I can see what looks like rust on a black something or other next to the sender. The tank itself looks fine, at least in that area.

what is this piece and is it something that can be removed and replaced or is there likely rust elsewhere and a por15 kit is the best thing to do? Bike ran fine before I had to let is sit that long.

Frustrated that I have energy to ride now thanks to the CPAP and have only been able to a few times this year.

pump looked fine to my inexperienced eyes.

I removed the front plate and front section. No gunk or rust. I did see some rust like particles in the containers I drained the carbs into recently. I'll see if I can inspect more of the tank with a camera on the weekend. Figures that I would have just filled the tank. LOL

so the flange for the drain plug is rusted? Could it be as simple as replacing that if I don't spot rust elsewhere? Wait, with my luck it couldn't possibly work out that way. LOL

ok got my camera and looked around the inside of the tank. The pick up tube has a lot rust. The bracket holding has quite a bit less and there are only very light and small spots of rust on the tank itself near the tube and bracket. I'm tempted to just buy a new tank rather than a por kit after seeing that pickup tube

didn't see any clear Russell filters. I guess it doesn't matter really as I read no filter will remove rust suspended in gasoline. Just ordered the new tank. Now to draining and removing rusty tank and carburetors for cleaninig

Back