Magnet Oil Drain plug....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Whats your guys takes on magnetic oil drain plugs? I see python has one for $25.....

waste of time or has decent qualities?

I've put them on every bike I have owned. Cheap insurance. Also can check during oil change for excessive wear. Obviously only works on the ferrous metals in an engine.

Whats your guys takes on magnetic oil drain plugs? I see python has one for $25.....

waste of time or has decent qualities?

Hopefully someone in the know can jump in here but I was told that the stock Yamaha plugs are already magnetic.

The reason it came up was that I bought one and when I went to install it, the one in the Max was not only magnetic but a little stronger than the one I bought. Now, I'm the 3rd owner and maybe someone else did an upgrade that I didn't know about.

Anyway, I have a spare one somewhere. If you want it, PM me and send me a padded envelope and I'll ship it back to you.

25 bucks for a bolt , hell, I expect to get off the bike and see blondes and redheads sticking to the bottom of the engine by their dental fillings.

Mine is not magnetic. Final drive plug is though. I suppose you could run a stock plug against a magnet to magnetize it. I do that with some of my screwdrivers. Then reverse the dragging to demagnetize.

I have seen the stock plugs both ways. I think the diff bolt may even fit the factory oil pan.

Sean

Not positive about the final drive plug but the oil & water pump plugs are the same. I had them both off my '06 at the same time and noticed that the oil plug had a small blue dot on it and the coolant plug didn't.
Possibly so the assemblers could tell the difference between a magnetic and non-magnetic plug? :confused2:

I bought some rare earth neodymium magnets from the local surplus store and have them on every vehicles oil filter. They are SUPER strong. I spent maybe 10 bucks on 12 or so of them. I have them on the boat both of my bikes and both of my cages.

I bought some rare earth neodymium magnets from the local surplus store and have them on every vehicles oil filter. They are SUPER strong. I spent maybe 10 bucks on 12 or so of them. I have them on the boat both of my bikes and both of my cages.

Chris...I was looking at these same magnets but they state a max working temp of 176 deg F, wouldn't the v max oil temp exceed that?

Chris...I was looking at these same magnets but they state a max working temp of 176 deg F, wouldn't the v max oil temp exceed that?

Yes but I have never had an issue with ANY of my vehicles. They stick as good now as they did new. Do they do anything? Not sure. Never opened a can up, but I know they don't hurt anything either.

Chris

Yes but I have never had an issue with ANY of my vehicles. They stick as good now as they did new. Do they do anything? Not sure. Never opened a can up, but I know they don't hurt anything either.

Chris

They HAVE to help with the ferrous metal parts...rings, bearings, etc. Those things are very powerful...they've got to make a difference in the long run IMO!
Besides, there would be considerable circulation before the oil exceeded 176, I would think.

Latest posts

Back