Main Air Jet/Main Jets

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soovmaxguy

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Yamaha Vmax with Dale Walker exhaust. I got the bike from a good friend that had pasted away. The Max is in near perfect condition.This is my 4th vmax. It had a bad flat spot at 7000 rpm and had a hard time pulling more rpm. I took it too a guy in my town that is very good with bikes. He took the carbs off and found that one of the 152.5 mains where laying in the float bowl.He was shocked the bike run as good as it did.Iit has 152.5 in all four carbs but two where new and the main air jets had 152.5's also, Is this possible? It calls for 2.0 but have no idea 2.0 is in mikuni sizing or do they inter-change. Was happy too hear there was problems with the carbs jetting.This is the first Max I have had with jetting issues. Thanks for any Help

That's not the main air jet. Those are the pilot air #1 if on top of the carb or air jet #2 if behind the slides. The main air jet is close to the first pilot air jet but has a much larger opening.

Hello from a fellow EUP Vmax owner! Have you tried Chippewa Motors? Dennis or Dan should be able to help you out if you need some additional help troubleshooting your Carbs. They set mine up just before I purchased my Vmax in '07. I also know another in-state guru (Damon Ferraiolo/ South Lyon, MI) that would help you out if need be.
Well I am remiss in not giving our resident carb guru at least some credit in their abilities to resolve carb issues! Both Mark and Danny can get you on the right path as well. They both have worked wonders on carbs so you can trust in their advice!

That's not the main air jet. Those are the pilot air #1 if on top of the carb or air jet #2 if behind the slides. The main air jet is close to the first pilot air jet but has a much larger opening.

The pilot air jet #1 (on top of the carb) should be a #90....the pilot air jet #2 (behind the slide/diaphragm) should be #170.

Sean Morley has both. [email protected]

Had bike out today. Runs 100 percent better. Has a slight pop though exhaust at idle but other than that it runs great Thanks for the help guys!!!

Latest posts

Back