My first VMAX what do you think?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxrooky

Reaction score
1998 Vmax 23,000 miles progressive shocks, Marks exhaust, Corbin seat and sissy bar pad to match, billet turn signals, wave brake rotors, engine guards and mini windscreen and I think foot pegs, hand grips, and shifter is aftermarket also...$3,400 bucks the guy put syn oil in it so the clutch slips so I need a new one and the starter makes a funny racket some times after it been warm then shut off?image.jpg

Looks sweet! I have those grips and pegs, they are just cheapies from China.
If it hasn't been tried already, get that oil out of it, briefly run some cheap-ass oil for cars in it just to flush out all the sythetic friction modifiers, dump that out and refill with proper oil. Maybe, the clutch could come good.

That rattle you described with be the "starter clutch" bolts come loose. Common fault. There are lots of threads on this site about that.

But, the big question is, what do YOU think of your new V-Max???

I'm 41 years young always wanted one...Since my moms boyfriend bought a new one in 1985.... I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!!! I had a CBR929RR but my wife couldn't ride on it with me very long cause she broke her back a few years ago so I went and looked at a Kawasaki vulcan 1600 beautiful 2003 bike but no power or speed, but I was like dam I have the need THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!!!! And my new baby hasn't disappointed with a slipping clutch!!! Can't wait till she's all good again...Did I get a deal or overpay for my new MADMAX? Shes a 1998 with 23,000 miles he was asking for $4,900 picked her up for $3,400....... $3,510 is KBB dealer price and told him the clutch was another $100 I wanted off the price he was scared of her and only put 1000 miles on her since he bought her last year....SMH

Thanks Bazwell was thinking about trying that also...Oh well thought they were the kurkeranh grips lol they all look alike huh...

Nice looking vmax!
considering you have atleast 2k in aftermarket parts, I would say you got a great deal. :welcome_sign:to the forum

Ya thats a really good deal. Some nice upgrades too. If you do need to do the clutch it is really easy to replace but I'm sure you already know that. That CBR is a sweet bike too!

Welcome to The Forum......very nice ride......I have no doubt you'll go thru her and get everything sorted out with a little TLC......then enjoy the miles............the wife too.........

Congrats nice bike.......you'll love those pipes also,good sound.....
Lots little upgrades here you will like for the bike.

Like the Aussie said.....change the oil and put a couple hundred on it, and change again.....hopefully it cleans all the syn out and you don't have to change the bands.

Nice bike, I bought a vmax last year I sold my ZX12R to buy it, and a friend of minds just bought 2000 vmax a month ago. He should be coming on board here soon.

Thanks for posting the clutch info I forward the link over to my friend.

Good deal. I bought mine a year ago. It is a 2001 and had (at the time) 14,000 miles on it. There were absolutely no mods, and I paid $4500 for it. Welcome, this is a great place for info and laughs.

...and the starter makes a funny racket some times after it been warm then shut off?View attachment 34020

Watch this, if the 'rocks in a box' sound gets worse you may have an issue. It's notorious. Sean has some useful videos on how to address this. These links are for the mobile version of YouTube so I don't know if they will work on a desktop, if not just search for one2dmax.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePW96hG2Ojw
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf33AGRTZ6s
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOCIYl2pCA

thanks blurr nice vid man seems like yamaha made it as difficult as they could?I was thinking you unbolt the starter pull it out and tighten up a few bolts?I don't have to take the motor down that far do I? my old virago 920 made the same noise you'd figure yamaha would have done better with this newer vmax?

I had a 920, it was a bad starter design. The VMax isn't that bad, they did better w/it than the 920. You see 920's cheap, because they all get the problem & it costs more to fix it than the bike is worth.

An acquaintance of mine figured out how to fix it, using the later-model stuff. It wasn't a direct bolt-in.

if you could find out more on those rotors i'd be interested.

Yeah, it sounds like you got the bug! :biglaugh:

That bike would cost $10k down under. So I reckon it's a good deal!

Back