My first VMAX what do you think?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care for barnett clutch packs myself feel stock is better than barnett. A stock banshee clutch lasts twice as long as a barnett dirt digger.... I like barnetts other products stiffer springs, clutch baskets etc. Their clutches don't last me very long and are twice the cost as stock? My banshee has a 1-5 override trans, Barnett 20% stiffer springs, stock yamaha clutch fiber plates, tusk perforated steel plates, and a wiseco clutch basket.Knock on wood my best combo of parts so far? The stock yamaha steels are smooth not alot of grabbing potential?

On the DD mod...as well as replacing the the 1/2 disc with a full disc..etc....you buy ANOTHER stock spring and lay it on TOP of the first...so you have the holding power of 2 stock springs. It is estimated that the DD mod is appromimately 100 to 120% holding power above stock. There are people on this forum that have done the DD mod, and havent had issues for years, and there are certified hooligans that have broken drive shafts and 2nd gears in the transmissions within 2 months.

So I guess that it depends how your gonna drive it...

I have the DD mod...and it is VERY cool to shift normally at 6000 rpm to the next gear and have it bark the tire.

Somewhere on here someone had summed it up like this

Stock 100%
7th full clutch 120%
PCW 150%
Barnett 170%
DD mod 200%
DD with full disk 220%

Now this is off of memory so I cant remember who's ahead, PCW or Barnett at 150 and 170%.

Go with two PCW heavy-duty diaphragms, it will give you 221% better holding power. This guy told me so, after he did finite element analysis. :biglaugh:

Attachments

• Mod Monkey calculator.doc
    48.5 KB · Views: 16
ok cool been wondering what the DD mod was hear about it all the time just never knew what everyone was talking about.. Now I'm in the loop lol thanks. Now I don't know which way to go????? lol I usually ride average but love the twisties and if a sportbike or HARDLEY rolls up and wants to act all bad I'd like to be able to show em this OLD THING will hurt your feelings with this OLD MAN on it lol....

I'm 41 if you all were wondering age is just a number I act like a 16 year old most of the time women know even though we have age we still act like lil boys.. It's a given not hard to figure out lol

ok cool been wondering what the DD mod was hear about it all the time just never knew what everyone was talking about.. Now I'm in the loop lol thanks. Now I don't know which way to go????? lol I usually ride average but love the twisties and if a sportbike or HARDLEY rolls up and wants to act all bad I'd like to be able to show em this OLD THING will hurt your feelings with this OLD MAN on it lol....
Even with a Stock Clutch you can smoke any Harley (that is road legal).
600 Sport bikes can usually catch me by the time I hit 100 or so and the Liter Bikes can usually get you from the line on up, unless the rider sucks or wheelies at launch.

In the Twisties a decent Sport Bike Rider will leave you behind, the VMax just isn't built to run with them in the Twisties.

The DD Mod is good if you plan on doing alot of Rolling Burnouts and Don't ride in Stop and Go Traffic.
IMO, The PCW or Barnett would probably be your best options.
If you want to do it on a budget then you can just buy the PCW Spring for about $50 (not the whole kit) and leave the rest of the clutch alone.

The thing I like about the Barnett is that the Shifting seems much Smoother and the Lever pull is only slightly harder than Stock.
Also if I ever feel the need for a Grabbier clutch I can always install stiffer Srpings for about $20.

Ya most riders here in Cali sportbike kids have 2" chicken strips on their back tire and park em at starbucks.. Try and act are hard reving their pipes up and the HARDLEY riders do the same s@$t. Got their vest on reving pipes about wreck at every stop sign try and run past you and get a squirly won't move aside on the twisties for you cause they are way to slow then romp on it when you try and pass em we call all of the above douchebags lol.. I only know about 5 guys around here that were faster than me on my old 929.. before that I had a suzuki marauder 800 and some of my sportbike buddies actually got in my way so my buddy told me to try out the 929 was in love the first ride. Got a new back tire on her the chicken strips were gone the first trip out my son went with us and couldn't believe it..lol.. But the wife broke her back a few years back on the sons dirtbike and the 929 hurt her so here I am on a VMAX and I'm happy again test rode a Vulcan 1600 those bikes are way to slow for me...just want to so if I can get the VMAX half way close to handling of a sportbike gunna brace her up progressive springs on their way already and the new clutch previous owner dumped nsyn oil in her so she slips BADDDDD.....Yes I know the vmax ain't a sportbike by no means just wanna at least keep up with a few of my buddies and don't want my son on his 96 600 passin me just yet lol...

I usually ride with Cruiser riders (Harleys, Metrics and Triumphs) so they learned to just let me lead because I take the Sweepers and Twistes alot harder/faster than they do and in the Straights (on rural empty Roads) I like to crack the throttle a bit. ;)
I have Dragged my share of Sport Bikes and a few V-Rods over the years and like I said I never had any trouble with them except for the occasional Liter Bike that had Good Rider on it and then I knew I wasn't going to win but I always surprised them by not being too far back up to about 100 MPH or so.

So far the best Tires I have used on the rear for Confidence in the Twisties has been the Shinko TM 230, they stick like glue.
I just bought a BridgeStone Exedra Max Rear and I'm anxious to see how it compoares to the Shinko for my riding style.
Also Running a Good Sport Touring Front is Much better than the Stock/Cruiser Type tires in the twisties.
And the Progressive Front Springs made an huge difference, the stockers were horrible in the Twisties.

As for the Friction Plates, I used the OEM friction plates when I rebuilt my Clutch and just scuffed up the Steel Plates with a Green Scotch Brite pad.

I'm 41 if you all were wondering age is just a number I act like a 16 year old most of the time women know even though we have age we still act like lil boys.. It's a given not hard to figure out lol

LOL, Im 41 also, and this is my first Vmax...lol...nothing wrong with getting on a bike and having fun...

dman999 the shinko really thought they were cheap a$% tires? I know the drag tires hella hook up but didn't think they had good street tires? I'll check em out... let me know how you like the new tires you just got....Got great weather here in Cali got to go on a all day ride Friday then took the wifey out with a few other couples on Saturday wife says the MADMAX is the most comfortable bike I've owned so far.. Was amazed had nice mustang seat on my old suzuki marauder 800.. Corbin on the MADMAX is good for her but hurts me a lil on the 2 long all day rides I took Friday and Saturday..Gunna have to check out the MAXGASSER pretty soon love the bike think the seat foam has gotten rotted.. Past corbin seats I loved em they worked great but I bought them brand new also.. Heard the foam in the corbin can go bad if not used all the time...SCORED the wife and I love the MADMAX!!!!

Dman999 you sound alot like me lol..So you have the barnett clutch conversion kit installed and you like it only a lil heavier pull on the lever sounds good to me..So just replace the clutch pac and throw the barnett clutch boss/basket whatever you wanna call it lol...So you think $122 is a good price on the barnett is a good price?

Dman999 you sound alot like me lol..So you have the barnett clutch conversion kit installed and you like it only a lil heavier pull on the lever sounds good to me..So just replace the clutch pac and throw the barnett clutch boss/basket whatever you wanna call it lol...So you think $122 is a good price on the barnett is a good price?
Yes $122 definitely sounds like a good price, I usually see it advertised for around $140 - $160.
I Installed mine last summer and I'm really happy with it.
And like I said I didn't change out the Inside 1/2 Friction Plate I just left that Stock.
Just make sure you also get a New Cover Gasket (3JP-15462-01-00) when you get the Barnett Clutch.
And if your Friction Plates are bad the OEMS are cheaper than the after market sets I seen around and work just as well, IMO.

Last edited:
Ya was thinking about doing the same set-up have the oem friction plates on order already...Ya aftermarket clutches i don't care for they usually cost more and don't last that long...Clutch cover gasket always rips on the vmax? I usually get away from having to get one I'm pretty gentle on em and hardley ever have to replace them on my other bikes..lol

the guy ran syn oil in her before I bought it so the clutch is slippin baadddd....Ordered the oem clucth with the half friction plate also.. Just wanted to beef her up a lil without breaking a trans... the barnett set-up looked good looks more like the clutches I'm used to. the PWC and the DD sound cool also...

Ya was thinking about doing the same set-up have the oem friction plates on order already...Ya aftermarket clutches i don't care for they usually cost more and don't last that long...Clutch cover gasket always rips on the vmax? I usually get away from having to get one I'm pretty gentle on em and hardley ever have to replace them on my other bikes..lol
Sometimes they can be saved but being that it's probably 15 years old, I'd expect it to come out in pieces.
Mine was 11 years old and it was definitely shot, I had to scrape it off both the cover and Engine side.

Back