My first VMAX what do you think?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just bought the bike dude lied said that the rear shocks were progressive nope they are stock oh well..the rotors are the wave rotors don't know where he got em but they seem to produce alot of dust so don't know if its worth it?

The bike seems to dive on the front end a lil more than my liking.. Not sure which way to go I know alot about RACETECH from my 929 but the max isn't really a canyon carver or would it be with racetech springs? Progressive sounds pretty cool too not sure which way to go?

Freaking love my MARKS PIPES they sound soooooo cooooool.. My friends and relatives are jealous.... they sound like no other not a hardley not a crotch rocket like a mini V-8... sound sold me alone lol

I've got marks 4-1 and feel the same way:punk: progressive or racetech springs will fix you right up. I don't have either yet, but the progressives are like they say,
racetechs are stiffer all the time. A lot of info in the suspension section.

I couldnt run Syn oil with the stock clutches either. Now with the Barnett discs and coil spring pressure plate I run Amsoil with no problems. Enjoy the new Max :)

hey maxine how do you install that barnett clutch pressure plate? heard you need an extra fiber? that doesn't make sense wouldn't you need an extra steel plate also? Do you take out the springs in the stock clutch? and do you keep the stock hydraulic clutch or do you have to take it out and put in a regular clutch? hows it feel does it engage way better?

hey maxine how do you install that barnett clutch pressure plate? heard you need an extra fiber? that doesn't make sense wouldn't you need an extra steel plate also? Do you take out the springs in the stock clutch? and do you keep the stock hydraulic clutch or do you have to take it out and put in a regular clutch? hows it feel does it engage way better?

The extra disc comes with the aftermarket clutch pack and has a full plate that replaces the half plate(OEM). The coil spring pressure plate replaces the stock diaphrahm spring and OEM pressure plate. Two different parts the replacement clutch pack, and the pressure plate upgrade. The coil spring pressure plate simply feels more linear to me with more holding power. Where the stock diaphrahm plate was more on/off feeling. Another nice feature is you can use medium or heavy springs or even install every other one for medium heavy hold/feel
Yes you retain all the hydraulic clutch features the bike has.

To Install the Barnett Clutch Spring Conversion you can either remove the 1/2 Friction Plate and Boss and replace then with a Full Friction Plate or leave the 1/2 plate/Boss in.
It's really up to you.
I personally left the 1/2 Friction plate in when I installed my Barnett Clutch Kit.
The Barnett Plressure Plate replaces the Stock Pressure Plate, Spring and Retainer.
This guide for repairing the Vmax Clutch will give you a better idea of what's involved:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55030067/VMax%20-%20Into%20The%20Clutch%20-%20LvLHead.pdf

With the Barnett Clutch there is NO need to do anything to the Clutch Master or Slave, Stock works perfectly.
The Barnett Clucth definitely made shifting alot smoother for me and it definitely holds/grabs better than Stock.

PS
I have Progressive Fork Springs and Love them.
They are smooth while highway cruising but Stiffen up quickly when Braking or Running hot in the Twisties.
Also, the Stock Front end Dive under Braking/Load is gone.

thanks maxine and dman999 I can get the barnett clutch plate here locally for $122 I already ordered a new clutch and progressive spring kit the dive id horrible on my max and the clutch is gone seen the DD clutch but can't find any info on it? only info I found on it was the parts you need and the total was up there 75 spring 10 for the extra disc and 7 for shipping and 7.44 for the gasket so I was wondering if it would be cheaper and better to install the barnett clutch pressure plate for $122? So if I do that all I have to do is take the stock one off and replace the clutch and remove all the stock springs (bands) and put the barnett back on top and bolt down? I can use all the friction plates I just ordered dont need an extra one? I've done alot of clutches just haven't done a project like this..I ordered stock clutch fibers not barnett my past use with barnett i'm not impressed with them stock fibers lasted longer on my banshee than the overpriced barnett clutches did...

the barnett is purple but i don't care it will be hidden no one will see it but seeen them priced at$169.99 so $122 is a good deal I think?

still a lil confused? The stock vmax 1998 clutch has three dif springs things in it..4,5,6
4. 26H-16385 ring set keep or remove?
5. 26H-16384 plate,seat keep or remove?
6. 1FK-16383 spring cushion keep or remove?
If I do the barnett clutch pressure plate upgrade..

I recently did the PCW clutch kit, w/the extra full friction disc (o.e.m. disc) to replace the 1/2 disc; and the PCW heavier diaphragm spring, and a new engine cover o.e.m. gasket. Installation was a breeze and the PCW diaphragm spring holds better than stock w/o the DD (double-diaphragm spring) increase in pull. Cheaper than the Barnett coil spring conversion, too.

I used to change all my bikes over to Barnett friction discs, 'back in the day,' but got tired of the way the plates stuck together where you would stall-out the bike the first time releasing the clutch after it sat overnight. I dunno if they have solved that, but the Yamaha clutch friction dscs have worked OK for me.

If you buy the exactrep 'peek-aboo' billet side engine covers, then you need some magenta pressuree plate color to justify $600 perspex side covers (ea.!)

still a lil confused? The stock vmax 1998 clutch has three dif springs things in it..4,5,6

4, 5, 6 and 7 (Half size Friction Plate - 26H-16321-00-00) can be removed and a Full size Friction plate Installed in their place but it isn't absolutely necessary.
I personally didn't do that, I left those all just like they are when I installed my Barnett Clucth.
The Full Friction plate is used to remove the Built-in Slip that is allowed by teh 1/2 Friction Plate but it transfers more stress to the Transmission and shaft.
I personally like the fact that that 1/2 Plate makes the Clutch the weak point because it's a lot easier and cheaper to fix than the Transmission.

The Barnett Pressure Plate/Springs replace 12, 13, 14 and 15 (on the Parts fiche):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55030067/2000_VMax_Part_Numbers.pdf

If you do the Barret upgrade.....you can leave those....or remove 4, 5, 6, and replace 7 with a full size clutch. With the Barnett, you are essentially replacing 12, 13. 14, and 15.

I just did the DD mod...and love it. People will tell you that if you are a certified hooligan then you can break the drive shaft. I get on it occasionally, and with the DD mod and steel braided clutch line, HUGE inprovement. Now with increased holding power.....you have increased clutch lever pull. Not an issue on the highway, but might be a bit much on stop and go traffic.

Do you have the PDF version of the Yamaha microfiche? PM me, and I can send the PDF for it and the owners manual.

thanks guys all clear now... ya I like the barnett clutch pressure plate conversion and like just to do that because yes its easier to replace a clutch pack than a trans so I'll leave the smaller disc in for a weak point. like that idea alot!!!! the stock clutch setup seems a lil weak the barnett clutch conv. seems to make it more like all the other bikes that have power. never seen a set-up like the vmax clutch its a lil weak design for such a powerful BEAST!!!lol

Many high-performance vehicles use diaphragm clutches. Formula 1 cars do. The advantage of a diaphragm clutch is that it applies uniform pressure and is smaller than a similar 6-spring pressure plate, so the engine has less dynamic mass to rotate, allowing the engine to spool-up more-quickly while using less energy to do so.

if you like the magenta anodizing and making something different from what the factory did, you get to choose a Barnett clutch and exactrep offers a lock-up clutch too, so there are other options to the stocker. If you are concerned about the 1/2 disc being a safety valve of sorts, the stock clutch could also be considered in the same vein. A double-disc clutch or the PCW heavy-duty diaphragm are other options, or go for the $$$$ overseas style lock-up. They all are fodder for bench-racing at your local watering-hole.

i went dd and didn't have much issue with the lever pull until i took it to bike week. i ended up changing out the master with one of off a, oh what year was it...because the year is important, fjr1300. added on an adjustable lever and now LOVE LOVE LOVE.

welcome to the forum, btw. and great looking bike you got for the $$

{edit} '05 fjr1300 {/edit}

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

fire-medic I want the clutch to perform at its best with a small weak link being that stock 1/2 disc would rather replace a clutch than a trans.. Lockout clutches do just that lock s%t up direct drive basically know them all to well with my banshee drag racing experience.They destroy stuff...I not one of those chrome or go home guys like I said the one that is on sale is purple I don't care cause it will be under the cover of the stock clutch cover its normally $169 I can pick one up for $122? The DD means what? And the kit from PCW I think the barnett is stronger? I may be wrong but it sounds like all it is a stronger spring than the stock one so double the strength of stock? well the barnett has 6 individual springs sounds a lil more heavy duty to me than PCW kit or a DD.. Is a dd dual stock springs?

Back