my imperfections - what would you do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
these are oxidization on my scoops and sissy bar, thinking about powder coating them

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

paint chip (also got a very small one on my "tank cover" that I can see a speck of rust through

DSCF0009.jpg

both my reservoirs look like this
DSCF0005.jpg

Dunno whats going on here, just coming off

DSCF0006.jpg

The bike full pic

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

Just trying to make my bike look a lot better. Looks great just I am anal, its an 03 but trying to make it look like new

Thanks,
MG

Re: my inperfections - what would you do?

Actually, to me an '03 is too new for all that already. Does that sit out in the elements & see rain?

My '85 is like that. I'd be upset if an '03 was looking like that already.

Sorry to see that buddy. I question if the factory put any coating on the aluminum. They should have if they didn't. Vmax's cost too much to be seeing that already IMO.

RR

Well the quick answer is that the guy who had it before me did not take good care of it and it sat in the rain. It is actually in great condition apart from those imperfections hence me wanting to put it right. It basically sat out in his yard for about 18 months not covered with only 2 tanks of gas going through it so about 200 miles. Just had a carb job done and change everything you can imagine, fluids to brake pads and all in all runing great now! But those little things are pissing me off so I am trying to figure out the quick way to fix them. I know someone who powder coats which I am leaning towards

Looks like the clear coat is coming off the aluminum parts, been there. You can spray the parts down with paint stripper (removed from bike) in a can and wash the rest of the clear off and polish the aluminum. It'll get old after a while to take care of, at least it did for me. I eventually got them chromed.
Also had some fading etc on my engine. I finally cleaned it well, degreased it with paint prep and used 500 degree engine enamel in a can and repainted it. lots of taping and masking but it turned out well.

An o3 is fairly new for that.

these are oxidization on my scoops and sissy bar, thinking about powder coating them

Just trying to make my bike look a lot better. Looks great just I am anal, its an 03 but trying to make it look like new

Thanks,
MG

Here's is what I would do MG:

I'd paint the scoops black, flat on the top half, hi-gloss on the bottom and do the letters in the color of your choice. The pic is of my '06.

The sissybar I would powdercoat semi gloss black, and also paint the reflector mounting plate so it would blend.

The reservoir covers I would remove the letters and give it a 'brushed' aluminum finish, as shown in the pic, the reservoirs I would touch up with hi-temp engine paint.

The elbow is pvc, those are stone chips. I would order new o-rings for both ends, take it off and sand & paint with hi-gloss Krylon Fusion...it bonds with plastic.

The chip on the engine I would touch up with flat black hi-temp engine paint. Won't be a perfect match but prolly better than it is now.

Attachments

• 100_1523.jpg
    100_1523.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_1586.jpg
    100_1586.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:

Ok..

1.) I would paint the east stuff - like the resevoir caps. EASILY done w/ a spray bomb.

2.) Get a new chomed piece to replace the oxidization as your budget allows.
________
herbalaire

Last edited:

That front coolant elbow does that on ALL of them. Mine has a piece of black electrical tape over it to keep it from happening. You can get engine paint at www.colorrite.com.

I'd have the rear sissy bar powder coated flat black which is more like a semi-gloss and then do to the scoops as you please.

The reason the reservoirs look like that is because people take off the covers and either just look at the level or bleed the brakes and a little bit of brake fluid weeps over the edge and eats the paint. Brake fluid is a better paint stripper than paint stripper is... LOL An easy way to remedy this from happening again is to take a rag or paper towel and spray some non-chlorinated brake clean on it and then wipe down the surrounding area including the mating surface. Mine look like new and I have bled my brakes 3-4 times at least.

Your engine needs cleaned and detailed. I wax mine at least once a year.

Chris

I was leaning towards powder coating to be honest so im going to look into that.

What do you guys use to clean and detail your engines then?

i'm pretty much on board with danny.

good deal, im going to look into all that. Just got my bike back though so gonna enjoy riding it for a bit first haha

"What do you guys use to clean and detail your engines then?"

Don't know about you guys but I hate, No wait HATE! washing my bike with soap and water. I use a can cleaner/wax/polish that used to be made by Honda but I think someone else bought them out...still same stuff. I dries clear and cleans well if you don't wash it off. Its safe on all parts, glass, plastic and clear coat etc... Water spots suck and this stuff actually does what it claims. Check it out and see. I use about one can a year and its usually under $5.
KP

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 22

That's what we have been using/recommending for the last 10 years or so. They actually quit making it once and brought it back. I think the same stuff also comes under a "Yamaha cleaner and polish" too.

Sean

I've washed my bike once... When I first got it in April 2006. Now I use all Adams products on it. They're silicon free and non aerosol. The newest product is the waterless car wash which encapsulates the dust and dirt and allows you to remove it without scratching the finish. Pretty cool stuff, and it smells like coconuts! You can even use it after the vehicle has been in the rain.

Chris

I remember a powdercoat called almost chrome that looked pretty good.....

I don't know if it is still available or not:ummm:

As for your resevoir caps, just do what me and Dan did,
it looks nice and I did them on the bike.
It takes `bout an hour for each one but, well worth it:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
<<Dave>>:th_favorites24:

"Now I use all Adams products on it. They're silicon free and non aerosol. The newest product is the waterless car wash which encapsulates the dust and dirt and allows you to remove it without scratching the finish. Pretty cool stuff, and it smells like coconuts! You can even use it after the vehicle has been in the rain."

Ive seen that too, looks like another good way to go. Comes with the pressure pump to dispense it right?

"What do you guys use to clean and detail your engines then?"

Don't know about you guys but I hate, No wait HATE! washing my bike with soap and water. I use a can cleaner/wax/polish that used to be made by Honda but I think someone else bought them out...still same stuff. I dries clear and cleans well if you don't wash it off. Its safe on all parts, glass, plastic and clear coat etc... Water spots suck and this stuff actually does what it claims. Check it out and see. I use about one can a year and its usually under $5.
KP

do you still get this stuff at honda??? just spray on and wipe up? is it good for more then water spots or dust, not talking about mud but you know in between that

Since you know a guy that will do it, get the aluminum stuff stripped and powder coated. I did my rear grab bar (along with other parts) this winter and I love it.

If there's a way to get the rubber out of the brake/clutch res covers, do them as well.

-

As for your resevoir caps, just do what me and Dan did,
it looks nice and I did them on the bike.
It takes `bout an hour for each one but, well worth it:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
<<Dave>>:th_favorites24:
How did you do it???

Also just got some of that Honda cleaner stuff, everyone there said it is awesome and all they use, plus I got it for $6.

Going to look into matt black powder coating the sissy and scoops. But want to do the reservoirs myself. Bought some flat black VHT paint for that mark on the engine. Looks good, hope it works

Back