Need a little help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
I thought my starter went out again so I ordered a new one. Got it installed when I got out of work today and hit the button... Nothing but grinding; rock tumbler sound. So I'm assuming the starter clutch / idler gear is stripped. I'm browsing ebay right now and there's a few on there at a good price I think. Do I need the idler / starter clutch, the starter gear, or both?

Clutch for sure. I would pull the cover and flywheel off first to see exactly what's needed. Chances are idler and starter gear are fine but you want to be sure.

The "rock tumbler" noise is 99% of the time the starter clutch.

Pull it apart and check it. It may just be loose, and tightening/securing the three bolts may solve your problem. You'll need to pull the flywheel to get at it.

When you remove the stator cover the reduction gears usually fall out, you'll be able to easily tell if they're stripped or damaged but I kind of doubt it. Do a search for it, the starter clutch issue has been gone over many, many times here.

ok! I ordered the starter clutch because well... the one from 1985 is round. lol I have a spare gasket for the cover so I'm good on that. I'm ready to get this damn thing on the road. It's been 2 years since I've bought this thing and I've only ridden it for about 2 months tops! Killing me dang yamaha vmax!

ok! I ordered the starter clutch because well... the one from 1985 is round. lol I have a spare gasket for the cover so I'm good on that. I'm ready to get this damn thing on the road. It's been 2 years since I've bought this thing and I've only ridden it for about 2 months tops! Killing me dang yamaha vmax!
I feel your pain Nick, it seems like every month I'm spending three times as much time in the garage then on the road. :bang head: But after getting Max on the road, every second is 10x that of the garage. :eusa_dance:

I feel your pain Nick, it seems like every month I'm spending three times as much time in the garage then on the road. :bang head: But after getting Max on the road, every second is 10x that of the garage. :eusa_dance:
Dang at least yall get to ride a bit I am always working on some one elses bike. Yesterday was a beutiful day for a ride but the girl friend took the one running Max to work so I got stuck with my good old gas guzzling V10 truck again.:bang head:

in all honestly, if your #7 assembly isn't cracked, i would get all new springs/rollers and bolts. also consider a new part #6, i think a lot of times they start skipping because that gets uneven. mine wasn't with 20k miles on it, but i didn't have the coin at the time to replace it.

if your #7 is shot, morley probably has used ones which would work fine, but id' get new everything else.

Back