New Grip Install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgosset1

Reaction score
Got some grips ordered but these do not replace the throttle sleeve...No problem with the throttle side installation, but on the clutch side, is that factory grip glued on the bar...or set screwed.....bar end seems very tight on clutch side....i can pull the throttle side off with ease...lol....just pressed in.....thanks for all the help on my carb issue.........the old grips are factory grips from a 2001 max....

factory grips are not screwed on, end caps are pressed in. When I was removing mine it took a bit of force to get that end cap off and I used soap and water to get the factory grips off.

Sometimes a block of wood and light hammer taps will remove the bar end without destroying it. Try compressed air under the grip.

if you don't care about the grip you can just cut it off. don't cut the plastic chrome piece if u plan on keeping it though.

I normally just grab the end cap and pull them off but up until about a month ago it wasn't a big deal. I somehow injured my hand and now I only have a "normal" grip lol. Probably enough grip in the left hand to get them off.

BUT, you can always wrap a rag around the end cap to help protect it while removing.

As noted, the air method works well as does working the spray nozzle of some brake and parts cleaner in there (any fluid works but that stuff dries without leaving an oiling film). Careful to cover any parts that could potentially get hit by the stuff if it sprays wildly on you.

Sean

Yeah you don't want that stuff in your eyes as I'm sure many of us already know.

Yea, never fails I get it in my eyes when cleaning up a set of carbs. I use safety glasses now and just get a new set when it melts them.

Sean

I had my prob with the throttle side.They were rubber diamond pattern with steel sleeves on the innermost part. Cut the stockers off, but had to sand plenty getting my new grips on. They were soo tight I didb't use anything to glue them in, like the guy that sold them to me suggested.I did find other uses for the locktite super glue (good stuff)he sold me. I Used WD-40 to get them on. If I ever, and will, change grips my throttle sleeve might need replacing. Good thing I like the grips.
Steve

also catches fire easy.:eek:
Steve

VERY TRUE!

I was pressing some needle bearing out of a CRF450 swingarm. They were rusted in there. A combination of PB, BFH, a torch, and some fire on the work bench ended up winning the battle. This was down in the basement. My wife was wondering what that awful smell was? I though it smelled good :confused2:

I have put a few on that did not need glue....just used hair spray to slide them on...works really good...I do not want to replace the throttle sleeve; it works just fine..on the clutch side it has the chrome part of the grip next to the handlbar switch plate housing that looks exactly like the throttle side; reckon it stays on also.....i split the rubber and it looks like a separate piece by itself.....anyone notice this.....

I have put a few on that did not need glue....just used hair spray to slide them on...works really good...I do not want to replace the throttle sleeve; it works just fine..on the clutch side it has the chrome part of the grip next to the handlbar switch plate housing that looks exactly like the throttle side; reckon it stays on also.....i split the rubber and it looks like a separate piece by itself.....anyone notice this.....

Yup it just s slips in the grip

IMO the best thing to pull them off is just air pressure to crack the seal all the way around. Once you crack them, they slide off.
For putting them on, use dish washing liquid and water. Slips in nice and easy. :rofl_200:
That way, when the water dries out, it's just the rubbar against metal. You know how that just gets stuck after a while. (That's what you are trying to crack to get them off usually.)
Glue just makes it harder to get off.

your right baswell, i don't know why people glue them...lol..i have never had one come off using the hair spray technique....,,,,Gamo thanks for the advice; i kinda figured thats how they went, just wanted to be sure....everytime i ever put one on, you get one shot to get it right, after that i takes air to get them off....

hair spray works perfect! except dirt bikes, but i use that and some saftey wire.

Well i just got my spiked iso-grips on the max tonight...went very easy....had to cut the old off and sand off all the glue......I hair sprayed and glued the new grips on....20 minute job max...them factory grips were some cheap plastic on the ends...looks very nice.....time to think about some new tires now....

Back