New Owner/?'s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLfireblade

Reaction score
I just bought a second hand 2010 VMAX from a dealer in another province. I had it shipped to me. It has 11000km on it. It came with the touring windshield(selling that) and the small backrest.

I have done some searching but still have a few questions:

1. What is the widest tire you can mount on the stock rear rim? Any recommendations for better handling? I'm not too concerned about tire wear.

2. There is a space under the tool kit and nothing there. Am I missing something? Where does the manual go?

3. I got only one key with the bike. I read in the manual that there should be two keys and a programming key. I called the dealer and they called the former owner. He says the bike only came with one key and he was told by the original dealer that he just needs his registration and the serial number to get a spare made. Is this true? Are they very expensive?

Thanks for any info!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new VMax! Lot's of fun, does everything great except pass a gas station. :)

The widest tire recommended for a stock rim is a 200/50/18. The best replacement for the stock Bridgestone is a Shinko Verge 011. Less expensive and much stickier.

There is a wide wheel kit available from Yamaha for around $700 that lets you run a 240/40/18. They look awesome but slow down the turning a bit. Will also rob a little HP due to the extra weight.

The space under the cover is supposed to be there.....you can stick a rag and face shield cleaner in there....or PB&J sandwich. :)

All VMax's come with 2 keys from the factory.
You're in Canada right? Do you know if your VMax has an immobilizer?
I believe the Canadian models may have a red key that is needed for programming the immobilizer. European models do for sure.....US models do not have an immobilizer.

You should also join this forum: http://www.starvmax.com/forum It was formed in 2008 specifically for the Gen 2 VMax.

Mark

I've seen the wide wheels and I'll consider it. I don't want to reduce the handling though. I love carving the turns!
I am in Canada, and the manual says there should be two keys plus the programming key. The previous owner says otherwise. I'll be talking to the local Yamaha dealer tomorrow to see what's what.
I signed up for the starvmax forum but haven't received my confirmation email yet.

Thanks for the reply!

So the manual doesn't get stored on the bike somewhere?

No.....well not that I've ever heard.

I don't think it would fit there and there is no other space on the bike.

BTW there is a 2nd small tool bag that contains only the sparkplug wrench. No idea why they did that......several people I know that bought used bikes were missing that.

Oh also.....my dealer wrote the "key code" on the inside of my manual. I think you need that for a new key. I don't remember whether or not there was a metal tag as well attached to the key.

I'll check for the plug wrench, thanks. Will talk to the dealer about the key and update. I believe the key code is registered with the serial number of the bike at the dealer or Yamaha head office.... I could be wrong.

You need the programming key in order to program a new key to the bike... lovely! If I lose the one key I have, its 2g for a new ignition and new keys!
I don't seem to have another tool bag with a plug wrench. Not behind that side plate, anyway.

I just picked up a 2010 with 983 miles on it today. It's a fantastic bike!!! I'm sure you will see me asking some standard newbie questions.

20150911_135356_zpsqayj1pvh.jpg

09s had the black with a slight red flake. Does it say 2010 on the title? He couldve also easily swapped bodywork, its only 3 pieces, both fenders and the fake "tank". Either way, awesome bike.

09s had the black with a slight red flake. Does it say 2010 on the title? He couldve also easily swapped bodywork, its only 3 pieces, both fenders and the fake "tank". Either way, awesome bike.

I want to thank you!!! Your comment about the color made a light go off in my head. I ran a nation wide VIN check and, sure enough, the bike was a total insurance write off in New York last year. The dealership only ran a California check.

They are picking it up in a few hours and dropping off a 2013 with 1200 miles on it. I don't like the color but I can always paint it.

Thank you again!!! You are a life saver!!!

Did you find something, anything, wrong with the workmanship, or the parts used to return your 2010/2009 back to selling condition after its total insurance write off? I wonder if it was one of the few that a dealership Fubarred the oil pump recall, and ruined it's engine. Then with a brand new motor, perhaps it ended up with the new title with wrong date of manufacture on it? ?

Did you find something, anything, wrong with the workmanship, or the parts used to return your 2010/2009 back to selling condition after its total insurance write off? I wonder if it was one of the few that a dealership Fubarred the oil pump recall, and ruined it's engine. Then with a brand new motor, perhaps it ended up with the new title with wrong date of manufacture on it? ?

It was collision damage according to the report. The paint set was from a 09. The brushed intakes were replaced. Small scratches here and there on the frame. Who knows what else. The insurance just wrote it off. Someone else put it back together.

I just rode the 2013. It accelerates faster than the 10. The 2010 was a frankenbike.

As long as it's got a rebuildable title instead of a non-rebuildable one, in FL the State requires receipts for all parts replaced after the totaled insurance estimate. It then gets a thorough inspection by a professional, and is assigned a new VIN by the State of FL. I dunno how it is in other states.

Sounds like the dealership was limiting its liability by doing the switch, since they didn't reveal to the new owner that it was a totaled bike.

Back