Oil Filter Spring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmailley

Reaction score
I changed my oil the other day and after I emptied the drain pan I found my filter spring in the bottom of the pan. I would think this would make a difference being that it would hold the filter in place to allow the oil to flow through the filter properly. I did ride it about 15 miles without it and, maybe it's my elaborate imagination, but it didn't fell quite right. Never revvfed it past 4000. I took him straight home and I'm gonna drain the new oil and replace the spring.

Any thoughts?

You need to watch the video on the correct way your oil filter is supposed to be assembled. I would bet you are missing the seating washer. The only thing that is happening is that you aren't getting proper oil filtration without it.

LOL, there aren't many Morleys in the U.S., Much less one that works on vmax stuff lol.

Sean

Never revvfed it past 4000. I took him straight home and I'm gonna drain the new oil and replace the spring.

Any thoughts?

How in Gods name do you ride a Vmax 15 miles without topping 4000 rpm?

You have masterful self control.

I sure couldn't do it.

Actually, I wasn't sure if the oil filter spring being out would not produce enough pressure to get to the top end and I didn't want to bend a valve. Believe me, when I'm sure, I'm into boost quite a lot.

Thanks for the control complement, though. I try to have some when it calls for it.

The spring simply holds the filter in place during normal pressures. If it clogs or hits a high pressure (like when cold) the spring compresses and allows the oil to bypass the filter.

Latest posts

Back