Oil pressure gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazmax

Reaction score
Hi Guys, first of all can I say a big Hello from Durham in North East England.

Although I am a very experienced motorcyclist of over 45 years standing and have had some very powerful bikes I have just bought my first Vmax.

It's a 20th Anniversary model and I bought it last week with 3900 miles on the clock and one owner from new.

Question.

I have seen various threads about fitting an oil pressure ( WORRY ) gauge and just wondered why on the Vmax it has been considered by some as a necessary addition?

Surely Yamaha were not expecting to have an issue with low pressure and IF there was an issue I would have hoped that by my bike being built it would have been well and truly resolved.

I am inclined not to fit one unless I am missing something very obvious.

Here is my bike. Love it !

VMAX005_zpsee98f882.jpg

In a nutshell it's advocated because the stock oil light is garbage and dudes love to ride these bikes hard as hell. It's unsettling when the only indication of there being an oiling problem is one you have to learn to ignore.

yours has all the updated parts, but its still a concern for some. its unknown how many bikes had the oring pop out and continue on fine as well so theres a lot of unknowns to the issue, but if all of a sudden you're getting significantly less pressure, its good to know.

as those guys said the smaller models (esp ones that bolt to the water pump cover), are cheap, and good insurance.

In a nutshell it's advocated because the stock oil light is garbage and dudes love to ride these bikes hard as hell. It's unsettling when the only indication of there being an oiling problem is one you have to learn to ignore.

Yes i realise that the oil light comimg on during hard acceleration is unsettling and the same thing happens on my Guzzi V11 Le Mans if i cane it. The Guzzi engine does not have an inherent problem with low oil pressure.

I also realise that this is due to the oil shifting backwards in the sump during acceleration.

Bearing in mind how hard a Vmax can accelerate how the hell do you find time to check an oil pressure gauge ( IF YOU CAN SEE IT ) when working it hard.

If the only time you can SAFELY check it is at low speed or standstill does it not become pointless. Also getting back to my original question, under normal circunstances do these engines have a problem with low oil pressure ?

Darryl

yours has all the updated parts, but its still a concern for some. its unknown how many bikes had the oring pop out and continue on fine as well so theres a lot of unknowns to the issue, but if all of a sudden you're getting significantly less pressure, its good to know.

as those guys said the smaller models (esp ones that bolt to the water pump cover), are cheap, and good insurance.

Many thanks. That makes sense.

Cheers Darryl

I was in a group ride recently, we were hammering it pretty good up a straight mountain road, my oil level sensor light was glowing brightly, one look at my handlebar mount oil pressure guage told me things were running normal, that's why I bought one, peace of mind, I got mine from Cycleoneoff myself, don't freak out when you see 3-5 psi hot at idle....................Tom.

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate and say it is not needed on your year model. I replaced the oil delivery pipe with a current one to bypass the o-ring problem. I have a 1997. Around 2003 Yamaha updated that part because of the o-ring popping. I posted pics several years ago showing the difference in the old and new. My o-ring was popping out and I wanted to fix the problem even though many have popped out with no problems. Occasionally it does cause a problem and is worth fixing but not needed on your year model. Do a site search on o-ring. I did not add an oil pressure gage.

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate and say it is not needed on your year model. I replaced the oil delivery pipe with a current one to bypass the o-ring problem. I have a 1997. Around 2003 Yamaha updated that part because of the o-ring popping. I posted pics several years ago showing the difference in the old and new. My o-ring was popping out and I wanted to fix the problem even though many have popped out with no problems. Occasionally it does cause a problem and is worth fixing but not needed on your year model. Do a site search on o-ring. I did not add an oil pressure gage.

Thanks for that. I will do a search as you advise

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the "popped o-ring" issue, many folks believe that this occurs because of high rpm operation when the oil is cold....and consequently at it's highest pressure. In other words, over-revving the bike after start-up.
How many times have you seen young, inexperienced riders fire up a bike, or a car for that matter, and immediately go wide open throttle -just for kicks, or to impress their friends? This has always made me cringe, knowing that most of the wear that a motor experiences in it's lifetime occurs immediately after cold start up, when lubrication condition is not at it's best.
When I start my '03 cold, I use full choke, to assure the bike will start with minimum cranking. This helps extend the life of the starter clutch, (which is another V-max issue that you will undoubtedly read about) The bike usually starts instantly. I then feather down the choke so that revs are about 1500 or so. The choke comes off completely as soon as possible, usually within a minute. Then, the throttle is not touched, or the bike moved, until I see the temp gauge begin to register.
Another tip when starting the bike, before a day's use, is to set the fuel switch on "res"(reserve), regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. Let the bike warm up before putting the switch back to the "on" position.
This assures that the reserve function of the switch is working properly. If it's not, better to find out in your garage, then on the highway when the fuel light begins to glow.
If you haven't already, join the excellent British V-max forum, "V-max chat" (www.vmaxchat.co.uk). Lots of seasoned owners, and a huge database of information. Very similar to this site. And back to that nasty o-ring......on both sites you will find info regarding the use of a fibre-optic camera to check the condition of the ring. This allows checking without dropping the oil pan.
Cheers!

I love it when people start up their rides and go WFO. The cats next door to me do that about every other week with their snowmachines. Last summer right in the middle of his startup, he put the back of the sled on a stump, fired it up, then instantly pegged that throttle. Something didn't sound right, then all of a sudden..... quiet.

I also know three other vmaxers in the north east is it a full power daz ?

Hi Paul, yes 2005 model full power. Had my first ride on it today to take it for it's MOT and then get it taxed.:biglaugh:

I have had some quick bikes before ( last naked bike was a Honda X11 ) but when the vboost kicks in it really is something else.

Just got it in the garage now letting the oil drain before I fit a new filter and fresh oil.

Yes it is a bit of kit i have had sportsbikes before being 23 i tended to like them more untill i rode the vmax i was hooked insantly sold my car to get a vmax of my own never looked at another bike since

Back