Oil Pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil light stays on the whole time.

I just went out to make a video of what's actually happening, and it actually seemed a bit quieter.

Could it be that it just needed to run and get some oil up in there? I really would rather not destroy this motor and have to go find another one just to sell this thing. I also don't have time to wait to part it out.

I can make a short video.... Let me know what you guys think should be up next.

I did see that one of the valve cover bolts is not stock. Maybe someone went in to do a valve adjustment and messed it up?

The oil pressure is usually higher when cold? Upwards of 50-60psi is common when cold (of course it's not too cold around most of the U.S. right now lol). The light is 100% level only! If it's on before you start then you either don't have enough oil or the sensor is stuck.

Scrape the paint off or use "Carb" cleaner on a rag to get it to melt off. A new window isn't all that expensive and not too terrible to install.

The oil pressure is usually higher when cold? Upwards of 50-60psi is common when cold (of course it's not too cold around most of the U.S. right now lol). The light is 100% level only! If it's on before you start then you either don't have enough oil or the sensor is stuck.

Scrape the paint off or use "Carb" cleaner on a rag to get it to melt off. A new window isn't all that expensive and not too terrible to install.

Will do. Any ideas about the noise? Should I make a quick video? I'm not sure I've got two days to burn driving another motor up to see you... Not that I wouldn't like to come up and learn more again.

Just wondering what standard oil psi is on a vmax. Hot, cold, idle, and off idle. I'm ordering a oil psi guage kit from cycle one off and was just curious what kind of numbers I should see....Thanks in advance for any input

I'm now getting 60+ psi at idle cold, average 20-30psi running and around 3-5 hot at idle. Before oil pump upgrade, I was zero at idle, hot. Yamaha didn't put a gauge in for a reason.There would have been a customer service nightmare.New bike, low pressure...lol. If you've ever had a valve cover leak, you know there is plenty of oil being pumped at idle.

Had a bad starter clutch recently? I got a similar looking mess, not as bad, after my starter clutch went to hell.

Yes, actually. I'm really tempted to just put fresh oil in it and start it up to see if it's quieter. I'm hoping this ends up being nothing more than maybe a valve adjustment issue or some other simple thing.

Yes, actually. I'm really tempted to just put fresh oil in it and start it up to see if it's quieter. I'm hoping this ends up being nothing more than maybe a valve adjustment issue or some other simple thing.

I panicked when I saw the filings. But, was glad the magnetic plug picked then up rather than have them floating around. I just changed my oil again yesterday after running 1k miles and it was clean. Back to longer intervals. These engines are noisy for sure, even when everything is fine.

OK. I cut the filter apart. That Yamaha filter sure is different. Here are the pics of the inside.
The mess on the oil drain pan was mostly there before I drained the bike, and I've had a fan running so there's no telling what little pieces of fuzz got blown into the oil residue.

I don't think the inside of the filter looks bad, actually. There aren't really any big visible metal shavings in there.

I think I'm going to put it in a jar and spray brake cleaner all through it to see what comes out.

Attachments

• IMG_20140707_145150.jpg
    IMG_20140707_145150.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20140707_145206.jpg
    IMG_20140707_145206.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20140707_145222.jpg
    IMG_20140707_145222.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
Back