R/R help please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89VMAXBK

Reaction score
Ok this is crazy. I replaced the R/R with an oem replacement new one n now I don't have right turn signal n no brake light. N I had everything working great before I put the new R/R in. One other this is that I guess it was replaced before cuz I went to hook it up n it didn't have that harness that the new one came with. The old one was installed with butt connections n heat shrink. So I cut the harnes off the new one n just put the 3 white wires with the other 3 black ones. So my quest is do those 3 wires have something to do with the turn signals n brake light. Oh n yeah my left turn signals work just fine. Please need to fix this fast. Any help! Thanks.

Ok this is crazy. I replaced the R/R with an oem replacement new one n now I don't have right turn signal n no brake light. N I had everything working great before I put the new R/R in. One other this is that I guess it was replaced before cuz I went to hook it up n it didn't have that harness that the new one came with. The old one was installed with butt connections n heat shrink. So I cut the harnes off the new one n just put the 3 white wires with the other 3 black ones. So my quest is do those 3 wires have something to do with the turn signals n brake light. Oh n yeah my left turn signals work just fine. Please need to fix this fast. Any help! Thanks.

Replacing the RR should not have affected the operation of the turn signals or brake light.
The original wiring arrangement has the brake and signal lights powered off the signal light fuse - but you say the left side is still working, so power must be reaching this circuit?
Are you sure everything is working, except for the brake and right signal lights? Bike starts, charging o.k., clutch, sidestand safety switches working normally? Does the tailight still work, as well as the running light, in the front right signal assembly?
Can you find out if the previous owner had made other changes to the electrical system, besides the work on the RR connections?

If you took the negative battery cables off battery, you may have left the small one off that goes to frame, the other goes to motor.

Replacing the RR should not have affected the operation of the turn signals or brake light.
The original wiring arrangement has the brake and signal lights powered off the signal light fuse - but you say the left side is still working, so power must be reaching this circuit?
Are you sure everything is working, except for the brake and right signal lights? Bike starts, charging o.k., clutch, sidestand safety switches working normally? Does the tailight still work, as well as the running light, in the front right signal assembly?
Can you find out if the previous owner had made other changes to the electrical system, besides the work on the RR connections?

Yes the front running light works n the running light for the brake light works. I really don't understand y it did this.

Yes the front running light works n the running light for the brake light works. I really don't understand y it did this.

Strange problem!
If you have a multimeter, check the contacts for the bulbs that aren't working, to see if any voltage is reaching them, when the circuits are energized. The brake light contacts will be the ones connected to the yellow wire. If you have no juice here, work backwards - disconnect the front and rear brake light switches, check for voltage (with the ignition switch on), at the brown wire. Should be battery voltage, or just a bit under.

From a strictly circuit perspective there should be no effect whatsoever. The 3 identical wires are for the stator(order doesn't matter), a red to + and a black to ground. Nothing relating to signals.

My guess is the bike may have been "re-wired" at some point, for who knows why. Maybe the brake and right signal grounds were re-located, and in swapping the r/r you dislodged a connector or wiring somewhere?

Put a brick on the brake pedal, turn the key on, and probe for voltage at the brake light socket. If there's nothing, then test continuity from the socket's side (ground) to the - battery post. Then try sticking a jumper wire from the side of the bulb to a known good ground(with the blinker switch on) and see if the flash starts.

Flasher problems are annoying. Get the service manual and study the wiring diagram...that's the only help I can give. The blinkers are wired in parallel, not series. So if one goes out the circuit still works (just faster since there's less load). Stock (rubber mounted) blinkers are grounded through a third wire. Behind the headlight is a black wire with a double connector on it that's for the front two, and there's a similar double splitter under the passenger seat somewhere for the rear two.

After working on my bike I accidently disconnected my kickstand switch and everytime I put it in gear it quit on me.I was able to find the hidden plug 1 hour later.Whats next???.

Back