Racing stripes - did you PAINT or DECAL?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Just like the title says folks.

For those of you who have them on your max - did you paint or decal?

Also - if you got em - post your picture!
________
AIL Storm

Last edited:
At first I had a decal to see if I liked it. I did, but the decals were too thick & wouldn't adhere properly, so I removed them & painted silver stripes.

Attachments

• stripes (Medium).jpg
    stripes (Medium).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
tons of pics in my gallery. it is all stock paint

gamorg02 - YOUR bike is actually the one that caught my eye to start this thread.

Can you tell me about it? Explain to me how I can get that paint job ( in a nut shell :p)
________
buy vapor tower

Last edited:
gamorg02 - YOUR bike is actually the one that caught my eye to start this thread.

Can you tell me about it? Explain to me how I can get that paint job ( in a nut shell :p)

jeeze man i don't have tha tmuch experience in painting to be honest. i've done a few random bits with rattle can paint, and it seems to hold well for stuff that doesn't take abuse (ie my speedo cover, which is covered by my flyscreen).

you *may* be able to get a pair off ebay at some point, but i'm sure any spray shop can do it for ya. i do enjoy the matte finish.

thnx for the compliments. my engine and frame are also the matte finish fyi.

Gamorg's bike is the same color as mine and its factory. The 2003 and 2004 models came with the Matte Black Metallic paint and the stripes are silver metallic decals. No clear is used over this color. The matte black is cool and with some polish will bring out the metalllic when its in the sun.

yea mine was done at the factory.. sorry bud can't offer much help there

Oh OK. I'm sorry. I thought that was custom!
That also makes it a little easier to get the exact paint code though. Not too sure about the stripes. Wonder if I get em from a dealership?

Thanks for the help guys!
________
Giorgio Scarlatti

Last edited:
I painted mine on. In fact, the stripes were painted on with spray can silver. :rofl_200: I then taped the stripes out and painted the rest black. I pulled the tape and cleared the whole thing. I had a paint gun and good paint. I just didn't want to pay for the silver so I got a spray can. It worked very well BTW.

Nosboss - good job.

Seeing as how you did yourself I have some questions...

1.) When you taped off the silver - painted black - and removed the tape - how long did you wait before you pulled it off? The reason I ask if because I wanted to know if you ended up with rough edges, paint chip, or whatever along the stripes.

2.) What colour of spray bomb silver is that?

3.) how many coats of each? I like your results...
________
uhwh warehouse

Last edited:
I painted the silver the night before. Not sure exactly what color it was though.:ummm: I used green masking tape for the stripes... don't do that. The edges were not as clean as I would have liked. Use the blue fine line tape. I would have used that if I didn't forget it when I went to paint it. :bang head: I waited about 15 minutes after the last coat of black before I pulled the tape off to spray the clear. That time period will depend on a lot of things like temp, humidity and the accelerator in the paint. I sprayed 3 coats of silver(doesn't cover well), 2 coats of black and 3-4 coats of clear. The more clear the better. That way you can go back and wet sand the whole thing to get rid of the hard lines. :punk:

Like Nosboss said... DO NOT use masking tape. Use thin line tape made for the job. It'll leave a nice solid line.

Mine are painted on...

Chris

Attachments

• 100_2401.jpg
    100_2401.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 31
Can you recommend the proper tape to use then?

Canadian tire only sells the green masking tape I think :(

By the way - red stripes looks amazing!

**Question: Can you tell me how wide each stripe is too??**

I know I'm asking a bunch of questions - but I really interested in doing this job myself!
________
halfbaked

Last edited:
I'm still toying with this idea...

so far I am looking at

1.) DuPont Hot Rod BLACK (matte)
2.) DuPont Matte Clear (made for the hotrod paint)
3.) White / Silver paint for the stripes.. but the problem is finding a paint suitable to paint on the Matte black - as it's a single stage paint (that can be cleared with their matte clear)

So many paint questions...

Again, these are all just ideas for the moment - although I have the paint equipent and room to do it.
________
buy silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back