Rear End Turns Freely After Tire Change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
I have a '99 with 13K miles. When on the centerstand the rear tire had a lot of resistance to turning by hand. A good spin and it would stop after about 1/2 rotation. I mounted new Shinkos and took a 15 mile ride and now the rear tire will turn about 2 full rotations with a good spin. The rear axle is torqued to 75 lbs. too.
Other than spreading a little Valvoline black grease on the spline I did nothing else to the rear end. Why does it turn so much free-er than it did before the new tire? And is 2 rotations acceptable or too free?:ummm:

Maybe the axle was too tight? And/or the tire was rubbing against the swing arm?

Prolly has a good deal to do with the motor/tranny oil warming up. Let it get stone cold(like sitting overnight) and try again.

After removing the wheel, rechecking the balance and reinstalling, with the axle nut torqued to 50#, everything is turning normally.
Good chance it was a combination of both of the above posts.
Thanks for getting back to me.
dan-o

Prolly has a good deal to do with the motor/tranny oil warming up. Let it get stone cold(like sitting overnight) and try again.
GOOD ANSWER , I DID'NT THINK OF THAT , MY WIFE'S RIGHT I'M AN IDIOT !:rofl_200:

GOOD ANSWER , I DID'NT THINK OF THAT , MY WIFE'S RIGHT I'M AN IDIOT !:rofl_200:

I've setup many bikes for dragracing(stk type street bikes) and rolling resistance makes a big difference. In checking the rear wheel/chain this is something thats done(spinning the rear wheel on a stand), and there is a big difference with a cold motor vs a warmed up motor.

I dont use a torque wrench on the rear axle.
I spin the rear wheel as I am tightening the rear axle nut. When I feel resistence I back the axle nut off 1/8 of a turn and leave it.

I have a '99 with 13K miles.

I bet you have flat spots on your tires :rofl_200:

Doing math now./..... 99.... 10 years old........ 13K miles....:ummm:

1300 miles a yr. avg about 100 miles a month.

I have a 99 also. 30K miles but I stopped counting engine replacements after the 4th:bang head:

I have a '99 with 13K miles.

I bet you have flat spots on your tires :rofl_200:

Doing math now./..... 99.... 10 years old........ 13K miles....:ummm:

1300 miles a yr. avg about 100 miles a month.

I have a 99 also. 30K miles but I stopped counting engine replacements after the 4th:bang head:

No, no Lankee, bad assumption! :biglaugh: I didn't buy the bike new, I got it in May '07. It had 6500 on it then.

You have a '99 too? Cool, great year don't ya think?

Let's see, Lankee's '99.......10 years old.............30K miles......:ummm:

3000 miles a yr. avg (won't do monthly avg, not fair to you cause your season is much longer down there than up here in the snow)

Re-calculate danny's with correct info:

May '07 6500 miles on clock................Oct '08 13K miles on clock..........soooo........6500 miles in 1 5/12 years.........hell, call it 2 years..................that's what :ummm:............3250 miles a year.

Holy shit lankee, ol' dannymax drives more than you do :rofl_200: :rofl_200:
AND on the same motor!!:clapping:

No, no Lankee, bad assumption! :biglaugh: I didn't buy the bike new, I got it in May '07. It had 6500 on it then.

You have a '99 too? Cool, great year don't ya think?

Ohh yeah the Bestest Of All Best! I wish had enough money and time to work on em I would have bought 10 more!!

99 Black On Black thats the only reason I looked for a 99..
Hmm lets see....
85 Engine
03 Heads
85 Cams
05 Drive Shaft
91 Swing Arm
99 Valve Covers

:confused2: So really not sure what year ya would call Ol Frame Flexing Wobbler?

Back