Restoration of #105

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constantinos

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have already posted about my latest acquisition, a 1985 VMAX frame number #105. When I first got it it was in a decentish shape however the paint was flaking, the engine paint was almost gone, the seat leather was a mess and the engine gaskets were gone and the engine was slowly leaking oil. In the beginning I thought about keeping it in the shape that it was in. I figured, it had a few good years left in her.

But I was really feeling sorry for her and her rough shape so I decided to have it professionally restored. The whole thing, engine work, bodywork, paintwork...it will become as it should have come out of the factory in 1985. I was debating with the restorer whether to go with the factory color or paint it a matte black. Keeping note that the bike was already painted before a rather glossy black (and it was a bad bad paintjob if I may add) we decided that it was already "violated" so we chose the matte black to give it a meaner look.

All metal parts will be chromed. This includes wheels and shaft drive. I secured a factory wheel from a 1987 which will look better chromed than the original 1985 wheel. A carbon fiber exhaust will complete the look and the frame will be painted the factory color but we will preserve the original sticker with the frame number as a tribute to the bike.

In fact all "mods" if I may call them that will be completely reversible if in the future I want to convert it back into stock although I do not see that happening.

What would you do? Keep it stock or make some enhancements which should (according to you) have been there in the first place.

Sounds like you are going to make it a "Rider" and not a trailer queen. I respect keeping the mods reversible. You could have a second set of bodywork in the factory color if you wanted too. A factory exhaust is easy enough to source on down the road. How about making changes that are unseen like good fork springs/oil and new seals. Maybe a Morley Muscle carb jetting, R-1 calipers and better tires, heavy duty oil pump and o-ring mod.
Just the fact you are giving it the love and attention it deserves is commendable. Hope she goes on another 29 years!

Hope you do some before and after pics and post here. Or make an album so we can see your progress.

I'd Upgrade the fork springs, front brake rotors and calipers (and use HH pads) and install braided brake and clutch lines.
If the R/R every gives out I'd upgrade that to the newer finned version also.
And I'd get better tires (Shinko TM230 or Metzelers), instead of the soap like OEM tires.

If you had an all original '85 in great condition I would say keep it stock. However, it sounds like this bike is in poor condition and needs a lot of work. Its not going to be "original" anymore once the work is complete so, why bother putting it back to stock when you can make it better?

I say do put on all the mods your heart desires and ride the hell outta it and enjoy.

Congrats on bringing it back.

Ok guys so after much work during the last few months here is ALMOST the finished product. You need to remember, this is number 5 so all work was done keeping in mind the bikes history and importance. The goal was to freshen up the looks, make it run a bit better but keep it as close to stock as possible. Comments welcomed. And I will post how the bike was originally as soon as my phone decides to upload photos on photobucket :)

vmax1.jpg

before photo.jpg

A before photo. There was a sticker of a naked lady with a guitar on the tank....not very much appreciated by the Mrs...:clapping:

Redo the flip with seams along the front and top edges and it won't make it look moon shaped. The edges will be much more crisp like it originally would have been. Same with the seams on the front and rear seats. It's to help let you pull tension in the cover without distorting the shape of the foam.

Looks good though.

Redo the flip with seams along the front and top edges and it won't make it look moon shaped. The edges will be much more crisp like it originally would have been. Same with the seams on the front and rear seats. It's to help let you pull tension in the cover without distorting the shape of the foam.

Looks good though.

Noted!!!

You still have the grips in the before picture? If you need some parts here on this side of the Atlantic let me know...

Great job sir! You can be rightfully proud and I commend you got saving such an early production bike!

Looks better than before, that's for sure.

Q: Are you planning on putting on a set of 85 wheels and/or the 85 foot pegs?

Looks better than before, that's for sure.

Q: Are you planning on putting on a set of 85 wheels and/or the 85 foot pegs?

No, actually my new foot pegs arrived today. They are black with gold accents to match the rest of the bike. As far as the wheels are concerned I like the later look. I think it gives it a meaner look but that maybe just me!

Back