Riding gear suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stmax97

Reaction score
I just bought my first bike, a 97 Vmax. I need to get some riding gear. So far I have just been borrowing my dad's but it is a bit too small and I want my own.

I can't decide on what to go with. I would like to have somthing that will work in both cool and hot weather if that is possible. I have been looking at the armored leather jackets with vents and zip out liners. I have also been looking at the armored cordura jackets. Which do you guys prefer?

I would like some sort of over-pant that I can wear over shorts. Maybe a vented cordura pant? I wear shorts at work in the summer, but want somthing to cover my legs on the way to work. Would I be best off to buy seperate clothing for hot and cold weather? Im trying to keep the total cost under $600.00 including the helmet. Looking to spend around $200.00 on a helmet. Any suggestions are welcome.

All items listed were purchased at Motorcycle-Superstore.com but that was two years ago.

Helmet: Scopion EXO-700
Jacket: First Gear Mesh-tek 3
Gloves: First Gear Mesh-tek
Pants: First Gear HT (removable liner)
Boots: Milwaukee harness drag boot

The only one of these I wouldn't buy again are the boots. They look good, but not the most comfortable. Everything else, I absolutely love.
-

I was looking into the HT pants, found some good reviews on them. How is that jacket in cooler weather? I don't plan to ride in cold weather but want something that will make 50 degree morning commutes bearable.​

I was looking into the HT pants, found some good reviews on them. How is that jacket in cooler weather? I don't plan to ride in cold weather but want something that will make 50 degree morning commutes bearable.​

It comes with a wind-break liner, but even that's not warm enough for me. All I do is throw a fleece pull-over on under it and then I'm perfect. I have a seperate jacket for the winter.
-

New Enough is a great place to start shopping for gear! Especially their closeouts section.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/

I started out with textile gear, but now I have several sets of textile, mesh and leather. I usually wear textile stuff for everyday riding. I wear the leather for track days on my Rex or for anytime I think I might be hauling ass for an extended period of time, again on the Rex.

It gets sooooo freakin hot here in Texas, that I wear mesh gear all summer!

I have collected about five helmets as well.

Hello, my name is Neal, and I am a gear whore!

kudos to you for wanting to wear the right stuff.

hey man, welcome to the forum.

i have two sets of gear.

i got a leather jacket for colder weather. it doesn't really have any vents, so i'd def recommend one with back vents b/c air gets caught up my sleeves.

i got it for like $130. i also have a pair of leather gloves for like 50 - 65 degree weather. I have a nice pair of olympia cold throttle gloves ($55) for 35 - 45 degree weather.

I have a tourmaster intake jacket which has lots of armour and is fully vented textile with just the shell for the warmer days on the highway. i think they're around $130 as well. I also have a pair of iron tarmac 2 gloves ($50?). they are really nice textile gloves.

I like HJC for helmets. they are cheap, and snell certified. I have had the CL-15 model for all my helmets, but different colours n whatnot. I run a pegasus at the moment and wear that 99% of the time. the rest i wear a novelty half helmet when it gets above 85-90 (stupid i know) but o well...

so the two jackets and helmet were about $400, 3 pairs of gloves were about $150. don't wear anything but jeans and boots mos tthe time but i'll wear shorts on the way to the gym or something...

hopefully that helps bro! any other questions just ask

I wear the Joe Rocket Sonic Jacket that has a panel that follows the underside of the arm from wrist and then widens as it goes down the side. It leaves alarge mesh area open to the breeze and it works great for me, but I live in the U.P. and ride next to large bodies of cool water. It get hot when I'm stopped so this jacket may not be for the desert/ hot plains areas. I may pick up some over pants too, might be prudent with all the hwy miles I'm gonna run this year.
You may want to drop by Rocky's in Flint/ Burton, they will let you try on jackets, helmets/ pants whatever to get it to fit as I'm sure most good shops would. I'm having a helluva time finding a helmet to fit my large brain so I'm going to have to make a trip to Rocky's to try the XXXL HJC's, the XXXL Vemar I just bought fits well once on my head but it about rips my ears off getting it on and off.:bang head: The search continues....

I wear the Joe Rocket Sonic Jacket that has a panel that follows the underside of the arm from wrist and then widens as it goes down the side. It leaves alarge mesh area open to the breeze and it works great for me, but I live in the U.P. and ride next to large bodies of cool water. It get hot when I'm stopped so this jacket may not be for the desert/ hot plains areas. I may pick up some over pants too, might be prudent with all the hwy miles I'm gonna run this year.
You may want to drop by Rocky's in Flint/ Burton, they will let you try on jackets, helmets/ pants whatever to get it to fit as I'm sure most good shops would. I'm having a helluva time finding a helmet to fit my large brain so I'm going to have to make a trip to Rocky's to try the XXXL HJC's, the XXXL Vemar I just bought fits well once on my head but it about rips my ears off getting it on and off.:bang head: The search continues....

i have just the opposite. I have a tiny head and i try on all helmets before i buy. i also have wide shoulders so i try on most clothes before i buy as well. i would goto the closest biggest shop you have out there, find everything that fits right, write down the model/size and go online and find the right price.

i have just the opposite. I have a tiny head and i try on all helmets before i buy. i also have wide shoulders so i try on most clothes before i buy as well. i would goto the closest biggest shop you have out there, find everything that fits right, write down the model/size and go online and find the right price.
I live in a rural area, the closest town has a pop of maybe 18,000, the JCPenney is the size of most drug stores in bigger cities. I have to drive min 2 hrs to get to a little bigger city, over 4 to get to a decent sized city. But as soon as the snow melts I'm going to drive the 4 hours and check out a bunch of gear.

wht ever jacket you buy make sure it fits snug riding a naked bike once the wind gets under your jacked it throws you around

In warmer weather, I prefer Levi 555 shorts, a tank top, don't care what the picture is on the back, and sandals.

I guess some people refer to me as a 'squid', I don't care.

I've been riding comfortably in this fashion now for over 30 years and two freak accidents and don't have any significant wear to show for the lack of "proper gear".

I think if I wanted to be safe, I wouldn't ride at all. For that matter, I might not even leave the house.

:confused2::confused2::confused2:

:rofl_200:

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked out newenough.com and im liking the cordura jackets that have a removable outer shell and removable inner shell. Im thinking im going to go with all textile for now. I may pick up some leather later on as I start to make longer trips.

Wish I lived in the U.P. im envious, definitly planing some riding trips up there when I get more comfortable on the bike. I live near flint and have been to rocky's a few times. Thats where I plan to get my stuff or at least try on stuff. Depends on how their prices compare to the internet. I may just figure out what sizes I need then go home and order the stuff. Ill probably be going there this saturday. I have a large head too, my dad's helmet is a large and it feels like im wearing a little kids helmet with it on.

Just remember ATGATT
All The Gear All The Time

I agree, thats why im trying to find riding gear that I can stand to wear in warmer weather. I know if I buy some nice leather jacket, I will end up taking it off in the afternoons. I think we allready have enough things we can't control on a bike, like the cars around us. So for the things I can control like my riding gear, I don't want to skimp.

You should pop over to the Ontario side of the border the first weekend in June to our Spring Ice Breaker in Kincardine, On. Should have 40+ Vmax's in attendance for the weekend. Redbone could pick you up on the way by.

Dude, you don't have a tiny head, just a huge f'ing body. You moose!! :biglaugh:
-

well i have a tiny head atop of it, so it just amplifies my tiny head hahaha...

someone once called me bounce... like the dryer sheet... b/c i tlooks like my head got caught in a dryer compared to rest of my body...haha

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked out newenough.com and im liking the cordura jackets that have a removable outer shell and removable inner shell. Im thinking im going to go with all textile for now. I may pick up some leather later on as I start to make longer trips.

Wish I lived in the U.P. im envious, definitly planing some riding trips up there when I get more comfortable on the bike. I live near flint and have been to rocky's a few times. Thats where I plan to get my stuff or at least try on stuff. Depends on how their prices compare to the internet. I may just figure out what sizes I need then go home and order the stuff. Ill probably be going there this saturday. I have a large head too, my dad's helmet is a large and it feels like im wearing a little kids helmet with it on.
I used to live in and Graduated HS from Flushing, so I know the Flint area well. I will be blasting through Flint for sure on May 20th on my way to New York, and then again on either on June 4th or 5th on my way to the Spring Ice Breaker in Canada. Your welcome to travel along with my Brother and me if you want to go to the Ice Breaker in June.

I used to live in and Graduated HS from Flushing, so I know the Flint area well. I will be blasting through Flint for sure on May 20th on my way to New York, and then again on either on June 4th or 5th on my way to the Spring Ice Breaker in Canada. Your welcome to travel along with my Brother and me if you want to go to the Ice Breaker in June.

Haha, thats where I live! I also graduated from Flushing high school and currently work at the school in the I.T. department. Small world. The Ice Breaker sounds awesome and I would love to come. But I don't think I will be ready for a 400 mile road trip by then. We will see, thanks for the offer.

Sounds like you got a handle on what you need "1st". I was gonna suggest the textile stuff too. My sage advice is there a plenty of those outlet type cycle warehouse places that will exchange if fit is a problem or if you decide you don't like something. Might save you some buyers remorse on down the line. My applause to you for wearing the right stuff and ignore the "squid" His day is coming!

Back