RIP Jim Marshall

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
Thank you for all the loudness you have given to myself and the masses. Now it's time to turn the harp's amp to 11

marshallu.jpg

Yah, I just read his obit in the paper. Another R&R legend gone. The obit said Pete Townsend asked him to carry stuff other than drums at his London shop, and he was working w/an electrical engineer to develop an amp. He had "that sound."

Yah, I just read his obit in the paper. Another R&R legend gone. The obit said Pete Townsend asked him to carry stuff other than drums at his London shop, and he was working w/an electrical engineer to develop an amp. He had "that sound."

He did have that sound. To this day I regret selling my stack. It thumped. 4-10's and an 18 on the bottom with a 700w head. I haven't found another white one since.

The year after I moved to FL, I moved into an apartment building across from Criteria Studios, in North Miami Beach where sound engineer Tom Dowd made some of the best music of the early-mid 1970's (& before, too) for people like Arethra, Eric Clapton, Bob Seger, and many more in R & B, rock, & jazz. His career was truly amazing, and it's fair to say that many people owe him substantial credit for making their recordings so-successful.

In the same neighborhood Don Aronow made some of the most-desirable performance power boats, widely-copied and owned by many famous people, including George HW Bush, who kept his in Maine. Kid Rock sang about his being used on Lake St Clair MI. Aronow's products were used by both the US government and the people in "import operations" who tried hard to avoid contact with the former! From the apartment building, you could hear the big V-8's running down the canal heading out for a sea trial on Biscayne Bay or the Atlantic Ocean.

There has been a bio film documentary on Tom Dowd that you should watch if you get the opportunity (Tom Dowd and the Language of Music). Here is additional info on this guy: http://www.answers.com/topic/tom-dowd

Leo Fender, Jim Marshall, Tom Dowd, Ray Kurzweil, people who have helped to make modern music so-popular, and whose influences will continue long after their lives end.

Latest posts

Back