Speed and your bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
I know we get comfortable and used to our bikes. But how many of you start to feel you bike gets slower?

Today I hit the highway like I normally do and decided to really hammer the throttle past my usually sprint to 105-115 off the ramp onto the highway. I held it wide open till it just didn't feel like it was doing much more. I was sitting straight up, not tucked in or anything, but it could only muster 137 ish mph. Usually I would easily see 140-143 area. If I tuck in I have seen 150 mph indicated on the speedo.

I realize this is fast, but it just didn't seem like it.

My GSXR I could hit 165 mph ( indicated ) on and it didn't seem that fast either at times.

I ve always wondered, since I have an addiction to speed, if you just get comfortable and used to the feeling and it takes more to get you excited.

There are sometimes I get on my bike and beat on it and just wish it had a little more to it. Today was one of those days. I didn't feel a big rush. In fact it felt rather mundane. Boring, nothing special....

When I had my 10 second heavy street car, 4spd, that made it fun. In fact it was only a treat to pull wheel stands on the street with it. I tried to keep it sane when I drove it and I got many comments from passengers that I drove like a grandma with it LOL. In fact I think I had more fun driving it on the street then at the track.

So how many of you get that feeling that it just isn't there anymore? That you wished for a little extra here and there?

Todd

I know we get comfortable and used to our bikes. But how many of you start to feel you bike gets slower?

I think we get used to the power. To me, the Vmax acceleration has always put a smile on my face, but more so when I first bought it. Like you, I like to hammer it on the highway entry ramps. I've done a few little things to get a bit more (mostly just getting it tuned as best I can). Once it stops scaring the crap out of you, more is desired. Riding a big bore bike is a bad idea if you were planning on keeping the monkey at bay. The day I switched bikes with Dave T. (alias the yellow Blur)I was ruined. I watched my stocker fade in the mirror and knew I'd never be satisfied with OEM wheels and tires again. The acceleration on his 1487cc was addicting. I ran out of road before the speedo stopped climbing. And it was climbing fast.
Steve-o

These bikes are not fast there quick! Lol you want speed get a rocket and look like everyone else u want to be unique and have the cohonas get a max :biglaugh:

I rode a ZX10 and I felt the speed on the same on ramp, but when I looked down and expected 85-90, and I was doing 135 and still pulling like it was in first gear.

That is my thought , that even if I upped myself to another bike or motor, that I ll be in the same spot I am always at shortly after that.

Though to be honest, the Vmax never felt that fast to me in the first place, even my first one.

Maybe I need an 8 second daily rider street bike LOL.

Todd

These bikes are not fast there quick! Lol you want speed get a rocket and look like everyone else u want to be unique and have the cohonas get a max :biglaugh:

Their really not quick either. Again I know its personal feeling on what is quick and what isn't.

Don't get me wrong, the Max is quick for what it is, but its not blinding holy shit I saw God quick.....

I think I need a turbo, a 1500+ cc motor and probably nitrous and I ll be happy :biglaugh:..... atleast for a little while:rofl_200:

If I have a 8 second street bike, I wont be doing major cruises with it. My 10 second street car wasn't very friendly, but I did end up doing a 400 mile trip with it. Wasn't the most enjoyable, but it did it. Didn't pass too many gas stations along the way either!

Todd

I think we all get used to the power. The Max is just a fun cult like bike not fast but not slow for a cruiser it dont run to bad. I have fun playing with mine. I am hopeing next time at the track I can get a 10.8 with it. I am trying to see how fast I can go with out an air shifter or any motor mods. Once I figure I cant go no faster then I will start adding stuff.

I think we all get used to the power. The Max is just a fun cult like bike not fast but not slow for a cruiser it dont run to bad. I have fun playing with mine. I am hopeing next time at the track I can get a 10.8 with it. I am trying to see how fast I can go with out an air shifter or any motor mods. Once I figure I cant go no faster then I will start adding stuff.

I think because I ve already been there, that I don't want to wait, hence the reason I seem to be pushing myself to get a easy 9 second bike. I think if a couple guys have been able to take a Gen 2 into the 8's that a low 9 or maybe even high 8 bike would still be pretty streetable and reliable.

I know I could always squirt it, but I would rather have all motor power and not temporary power.

1500+ cc's would probably get me into the low 10's maybe a high 9 on a Gen 1.

I just like having wicked shit I guess. LOL :clapping:

Todd

When i bought my 2nd vmax i new i wanted a busa or a king because the first vmax dident put fear in me at all. But i also new if i got on a bike that would get to 150mph in no time and wheelie in 1st 2nd 3rd maybe 4th fly through the twestie's that i would be in alot of trouble one way or another.

I think because I ve already been there, that I don't want to wait, hence the reason I seem to be pushing myself to get a easy 9 second bike. I think if a couple guys have been able to take a Gen 2 into the 8's that a low 9 or maybe even high 8 bike would still be pretty streetable and reliable.

I know I could always squirt it, but I would rather have all motor power and not temporary power.

1500+ cc's would probably get me into the low 10's maybe a high 9 on a Gen 1.

I just like having wicked shit I guess. LOL :clapping:

Todd
I have the 1500 sitting here hopefully I can fix it soon but for now I will have to be happy with what I have. I am sure when I get the 1500 done I will get used to the power of it & have to spray it.

I like the rush of 0-150 ish mph and if I can hit that in around 9 seconds, I am good :)

Even if that rush is 0-60 in a blink, that quick squirt, I like. The V Max is quick, its just not that quick for me. For what it is, its a fun cruiser that you can take a good distance ( I ve done 800 miles on it in a day ) and still have a pretty damn quick fast bike.

I really like the max and I think I like it because my wife will get on it with me. And I like it because its different too. But sometimes I think I would just like outrageous bad ass quick street bike. I know a Busa would fill that need, and a Gen 2 would also. A 1500+cc motor would fill that niche as well.

Chances are I ll keep the Vmax for a street cruiser with my wife and get something more brutal for me to ride by myself. If I do go with a Gen 2 , then I ll most likely sell the Gen 1 to purchase it since its basically the same idea/concept of bike.

Todd

Dude, you're generally talking about human nature. It is the very reason we are where we are today. Pushing limits is what we do, who we are...the very reason for our existance...ok, time to go pull my pud over the new Mars Rover's pics :)

Dude, you're generally talking about human nature. It is the very reason we are where we are today. Pushing limits is what we do, who we are...the very reason for our existance...ok, time to go pull my pud over the new Mars Rover's pics :)

Watch out for that. I herd your fingers can come off doing that!

I've had faster bikes than my max. My 2002 R1 was my favorite. The problem was it was to smooth. 160 mph felt like maybe 100 on the max. I have 2 boys and a wife and nothing good can happen to you if you crash going those speeds. That is why I went this route. I twist the throttle get a quick thrill then go back to reality and by the way look really cool doing it. Plus my wife wouldn't ride on the crotch rockets anymore.
Do I miss it yes of coarse sometimes but I feel the max is the best of both worlds cruiser look that packs a hard punch. It's not the fastest but it's definitely not the slowest.
Sounds like you need to buy a hyabusa that's would I would get if I had to get a crotch rocket again.
I was debating selling my 06 recently because I didn't want to spend money on radials the front end and brakes but when I opened the garage and saw her looking at me I said there is no way I can let her go. I just have to prioritize the upgrades. Most likely front end then radials. I'm hoping Sean will have a Christmas sale on the cazz's. If not I will have to settle with the maxdaddy.
Don't get rid of your max you will regret it. I had a 97 and sold it and have always regretted it. Even though everyone knows 2006 is the fast year for gen 1. :punk:

Check the ZX14rr sites, they are already complaing and looking to mod,,,,most are never satisfied.

I went riding in Michigan St.Johns area again this morning, the Max made me feel like life is great,,,that is all I care about.

You gents that are so hooked on all out speed, I hope like hell you have a big life insurance and disabilty programs,,,and a great attorney. Because in the end you will need at least one of the three.

O

Back