Speed and your bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my max to slow down but not come to a stop.I've had a max before so I knew what I was getting..before this I had a r1.going to work I got on it & was pulling hard at 165mph and still didn't click 6 gear.I found myself riding wheelies over 100mph in t shirt & shorts(dumb I know)but I liked the rush.had to change before,well you know.the max is fast and sounds great & that's what I needed.now I've slowed down but I'm spending a lot for rear tires.I may get a m109r but I will keep my max.

I love my Max and infatuated since 1985. That being said, I busting ass going into work just because and what I think was a ZX 14 went by me so fast and quietly it scared me a little. Enough to cause me to wobble a little. I mean damn, it passed like he was just jogging while I was running downhill.
Still NEED my Max!

These bikes are certainly respectable for a bike designed in what 1983 or so?? First 2-3 gears I can hang with about any sportbike and with the spray I can kinda hang up a little farther too but it is what it is... I love my bike because it's different than most of the bikes out there, that and it sounds like a SBC...

These bikes are still respectably fast/quick in their rpm range. Pick your battles and you'll do ok. A roll on in 2nd gear to about 90 will run with SOME sport bikes and usually blast by another cruiser.
Steve

I know once my carbs are done she should run 100% better and get better milage & maybe gain a hp or 2

Probably without a doubt the best bang for the buck is going to be a 30-50 shot of juice. Pretty cheap too. I ve seen kits for $500-800 used almost new.

I am wishing I bought the local vmax with the 1300 motor and flatslides with a bottle setup for $2200 now lol. I could have atleast pulled the carbs and bottle and used them and sold the rest for what I would have bought it for. Stretched swing arm pm wheels etc.

Maybe I ll take a ride by his house and see if he still has it.

Todd

Maybe a zx1400 in your future?? lol

Last night I re-read Cycle World's March 2012 test of the ZX-14R. Wow. Bone stock 0 - 60 = 2.6 sec and 1/4 mile = 9.47 @ 152.83 mph all for under $15k.

It would take me a long time to begin to feel that the ZX is slow. :)

When I got my first V-Max,('85) I was racing a 9 sec drag bike. When I got my second v-max, I was racing a 7 sec drag bike. So the max never felt fast to me. What I love (and miss) is "twisting the throttle". Doesn't matter where you are, just twist the throttle- no tap dancing- just go. There are a very small number of bikes that can give you the feeling of a v-max.

Right now I have an '81 Honda 650 that I bought earlier this year as a $5 piece of lawn art. I got it running and recently rebuild it. The V-Max WILL feel fast to me this time

The ZX14 is deceptively fast. Somehow it manages to be ungodly fast without seeming like it. The whole bike is buttery smooth. You crack the gas and you're doing 100mph and it feels like you're doing the speed limit. There's no drama, no fuss, no nothing. So while it is technically extremely fast, no doubt about it, somehow it doesn't feel as fast as other bikes. It doesn't make a lot of noise, shake, and make you soil your britches when you nail it.

I've always thought there's a definite distinction between a bike that is fast and a bike that feels fast. The 14 somehow doesn't feel very fast even though it is. The Vrod isn't really that fast, but yet somehow makes it feel like you're going faster and having more fun than evidenced by the speedometer.

I got about 145-150 indicated on my Vmax on a slight downhill. That was a very harrowing experience, probably about as close to God as you'll get. This bike just was not designed to go that fast, and makes this fact well known to the rider should you try.

This is kind of why I like the Z....yes it's an inline, but it makes cool noises, has enough vibration to let you know something's going on, and has a lot of engine "personality", all things I think help a bike "feel" fast and overall make it more fun to drive.

Speed is all relative. If you're used to liter class sportbikes the vmax is going to feel pretty pokey. If you've only ridden a Rebel 250 it feels like a rocketship.

I hit 150mph and let off on my gen 1. Tire's are rated for 149mph. Bike is smooth as can be.

Latest posts

Back