Speedometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Max!

Reaction score
Is there anyway to repair a speedometer or am I going to have to buy one used? My plastic case on my speedo is cracked and I can hear the ever so slight tick as I spin the cable so I'm assuming the gear inside the speedo is stripped. The cable is fine and the gear at the wheel is good so I know its in the speedo.

Edit:

Since I am not going to find another stock one with similar miles, does anybody on here have an aftermarket they have installed and like it?

Last edited:
The speedometer cover should come off, it did on my '92. The "tick" could be a loose cable, a sticky odometer(do the numbers move smoothly?) or possibly gears between the cable/ odometer wheels.
I'm probably not much help, I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to give you more indepth info.
Welcome to the forum!

The chrome plastic outer case is just a cover, it comes off with one bolt at the back. That being cracked should have no effect on the internal mechanism of the speedo, though it might suggest it took a considerable hit at some point that could have damaged it.

Does the speedo move/function at all, or is it totally dead?

The chrome cover is not cracked, it the plastic bezel itself it split. I'm not getting a speed reading nor am I getting anything from my odometer. I don't know if there is a way to separate the plastic bezel and repair the inside or if I need a whole new setup.

You obviously have checked the speedo drive end at the wheel, and that your cable is good and spinning when you spin the front wheel?

If yes to both, I would crack the speedo open to have a look, but be ready to accept that a replacement may be needed.

Well, I have tested it every way I know possible, including sticking the cable end into the speedo and spinning the other end with a drill and all I hear is a slight tick inside the speedo. The speedo case, the plastic part, is cracked pretty bad.

IMAG0022.jpg

Is this the excuse needed to get a digital speedo?

Good call if it is.......

Well, I have tested it every way I know possible, including sticking the cable end into the speedo and spinning the other end with a drill and all I hear is a slight tick inside the speedo. The speedo case, the plastic part, is cracked pretty bad.

View attachment 27056

Theres nothing missing there. That gap is supposed to be there...

EDIT - Disregard last. I now seen a crack on the white plastic casing... It may be messing with the gearing inside...

Got a new setup I am going to try and if it works well we will offer it to everyone else.

Check this out:
http://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html

I think I can use something to drive the inner readout to show the MPH (along with tons of other stuff).

Sean

Got a new setup I am going to try and if it works well we will offer it to everyone else.

Check this out:
http://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html

I think I can use something to drive the inner readout to show the MPH (along with tons of other stuff).

Sean

Looks like a nice option. Price isn't too bad. Looks like you need the "8 Channel Input Module" to drive other functions and then the other sensors themselves. At least, that is what I get out of the webpage. I did not see the other sensors they offer though.

Maybe I should hold off on that Stack order.......Kidding :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back