Stock valve stem side

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
What side is the valve stem on a stock setup? I assume the front is on the right side (sitting on the bike) as most are due to sidestand lean but on the rear there is more room on the pumpkin side, so i'm just curious which side yamaha put it on?

thanks!

Make sure you get right :scooter 1: LOL I have three stock wheels they all point to the right towards the brake rotor. Front wheel points straight down no left or right. I believe both wheels completely stock.

Make sure you get right :scooter 1: LOL I have three stock wheels they all point to the right towards the brake rotor. Front wheel points straight down no left or right. I believe both wheels completely stock.

brake side it is!

also asking for my own knowledge as I was going to replace the valve stems on the wheels replacing the ones you're getting.

i though the front one had a big 90° stock? not sure i've ever seen a 100 % stock setup.

Yup. Stock wheels. Both filled from left (pumpkin) side.

interesting.

They may have changed them over the years but I can only say what mine are.
Both of my Stock air valves are a 90 degree valve.
And both valves point to the Left side (pumpkin side) from the Factory on mine.
My valve stems have Never been changed (I have owned it since it was 3 months old and it still had the OEM tires on it).
See the attached pictures.

Attachments

• Left_side_Stock_Air_Valves.jpg
    Left_side_Stock_Air_Valves.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Left_Side_Stock_Air_Valve_Front.jpg
    Left_Side_Stock_Air_Valve_Front.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Left_Side_Stock_Air_Valve_Rear.jpg
    Left_Side_Stock_Air_Valve_Rear.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 16
Both wheels have 90 degree stems. This may not be the stock arrangement. They may have been replaced during a tire change, I can't recall.
In any event, Garrett, V-Maxs with 90 degree, left-hand valve stems are known to be considerably faster than bikes configured differently. Just sayin' :punk:

haha this is all actually because I sold my radial setup to bumper and am going to change the tires tonight and put on matching valve stems. plus i'm going to change the rims that are going on the bike, and was more curious than anything. So when bumper said make sure you go right he meant me, hah.

There are 3 V-Maxes in the garage. The 2002 and 1997 are stock and have 90 degree stems pointed to the left while sitting on the bike. The 1995 has DyMag wheels so no help there.

Maybe right is an 85 thing as the wheels were not the same style for different years The three 85's that I have are right'ys.

Maybe right is an 85 thing as the wheels were not the same style for different years The three 85's that I have are right'ys.

That might be it as well as those wheels were different

-garrett

Sounds like it doesn't really matter which side they point. The stock stems are heavy and could be so much lighter with stubby plast/rubber stems. That requires less balance weights too as a plus. There are pretty lightweight aluminum out there and come anodized in colors. Just an FYI, valve stems DO come in different diameters so don't just buy blindly.

Sounds like it doesn't really matter which side they point. The stock stems are heavy and could be so much lighter with stubby plast/rubber stems. That requires less balance weights too as a plus. There are pretty lightweight aluminum out there and come anodized in colors. Just an FYI, valve stems DO come in different diameters so don't just buy blindly.
Do you know of a size chart for different models/makes/years so I don't end up buying three sets. I'm gonna put 90 degree stems on my 17" wheels at the next tire change.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

On my 85 (stock afaik-bought it with 28k) the rear is to the right, front is straight( no 90 at all). On the rear, it has to go right because of the wheel design.

I got those aluminium 90º stem valves and I'm pretty happy so far. They are not cheap but they seem worth it. They are very light as mentionned.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back