Thermostat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FIRELS1

Reaction score
Is there any reason that there is a thermostat in the vmax? Its not like a car where you need the thermostat for the heater. I was thinking of removing only the guts of it so there is still a restriction but no valve. Any thoughts?

The thermostat controls the engine temperture and needs to be there, Without the thermostat the coolant will circulate through the radiator to fast and will not be cooled evenon cold days if ran long enough.

:punk:I don't have a thermostat installed in my 85 Vmax. It runs cool all year long, even the summers in Arizona when it's 120 degrees. It's never been over half way up on the gauge and the fan never comes on. Wee, Spur

a lot of the stock cars i've worked on , we would use restricters instead of thermostats , once we got the wright size we were good to go , 2 years ago i sold my speed boat that i had for 14 years , yamaha pro-v 150 hp v-6 out board , i took out the thermostats & removed the centers & reinstalled them ! .. believe me , the last thing you want on a boat is to be out ripping were you cant see land & have a thermostat stick closed ! ... you better have a plastic jesus on hand ! "lol""lol"... so in my opinion ; remove just the center & reinstall it so it acts like a resticter so that the coolant doesn't go through the radiator to fast , before it gets cooled , and you will have to see for yourself how it is , engines need some heat to combust correctly ! ... so make sure you let it warm up before you pull away ! It will take a while to warm up with the coolant constantly flowing & then just keep looking at the gauge in different riding conditions , heavy traffic or ripping down the highway & let us know the out come ! The cooling fan is turned on by the cooling fan switch , when the engine starts getting hot , about the half way point on the gauge it will come on ! .. let us know how it works out !

Back