UFO 4/1 system much better than Headers and cobra slips?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittnathan

Reaction score
I've currently got headers and cobra slip ons, with stock jets(I think) and stock filter. I'm thinking about getting either a UFO 4/1 or 4/2 system. I just love the V8 muscle car noise!

My question is: Am I likely to see any significant bhp gains over my current set-up? I no cobras alone are supposed to be rubbish but no ones really mentioned them with headers.

Any guesses?

:punk: Yes, you should go from about 98 RWHP with the headers and cobra slip ons to about 120 RWHP with the full system and jet kit. You will be able to feel the difference. Have it checked on the Dyno before and after. It will need to be set up on the Dyno after with the jet kit to get it right anyway so do a before pull first for a base line. Good Luck, Spurs

Most slip-ons are pretty negligible for power gains...no effect either way, the only performance benefit being a lower weight. The Cobras however are widely reported to drastically cut power from a stock muffler.

A stock bike in good tune should put down 112ish RWHP. With cobras that's usually around 100 or even high 90's. Full system+jetting will push it up to 120ish. I've seen reports of mid-120's in some cases.

So from your current state, even swapping a stock muffler back on would net you 10hp.

Proceed with caution regarding UFO. Several people here have had less than exemplary dealings with him. Marks makes a very nice system that is fairly popular here as well, and can be completely customized to your preferences(finish, muffler size/shape/length, ect). Plus I've heard nothing but good things about him and his work. Considering Jon(UFO) has said some rather nasty things about this forum and the people who contribute here, and is an overall childish douche, I would not give him my business.

I've currently got headers and cobra slip ons, with stock jets(I think) and stock filter. I'm thinking about getting either a UFO 4/1 or 4/2 system. I just love the V8 muscle car noise!

My question is: Am I likely to see any significant bhp gains over my current set-up? I no cobras alone are supposed to be rubbish but no ones really mentioned them with headers.

Any guesses?

I don't quite get what you mean. Are you saying your headers are bigger than stock?

I don't quite get what you mean. Are you saying your headers are bigger than stock?

I've been told that I've aftermarket headers installed by people on this forum. I assume they're bigger, but am not sure?!:ummm:
If I were to install a system and not dyno-jet my bike for a few months would it damage it? I haven't got the money for both yet!

Will the power go up with only a system?

I've been told that I've aftermarket headers installed by people on this forum. I assume they're bigger, but am not sure?!:ummm:
Can you measure the headers' diameter and let us know? That would clear it up!

If I were to install a system and not dyno-jet my bike for a few months would it damage it? I haven't got the money for both yet!
no - the dyno just shows you what's going on and lets you tune things properly. It's not a must, just a real bonus.

yes - the 'system' means bigger headers than stock and any associated mufflers, as opposed to OEM headers and any slip-on mufflers.
Although in your case it's slightly different because of the power-sapping Cobras: even if you have OEM headers, swapping the Cobras for OEM mufflers or any other aftermarket slip-ons will up your power by 10-12 HP!

I've seen aftermarket front pipes advertised online that are a bit bigger, but if the Cobras fit, then the outlets are the standard size.

What Sean said about scavenging applies to Cobras as well as open headers. The Cobras only have the front 2 pipes joined (under the engine). You lose scavenging on the rear 2 pipes as they don't join any other pipes. Seems to cost 10ish HP!

What you want is bigger pipes, all the way to the engine, on all 4 cylinders, with none of the pipes being completely individual. Then it will run better. It will be much better if you do the jet kit.

Right, I'm sold. Definately getting a full sytem! I've heard the suppliers of UFO may be difficult but I really like the look and sound of their systems. They also claim to be able to produce nearly 130rwhp with stock carbs with their systems. Is this a myth? Are they as good as they sound? I've aslo heard alot about marks but not sure on their styling for me as I dont like cans.

Just bought a full UFO 4 into 1 dragster system. Can't wait for it to arrive from the U S of A. Not seen one before here in England! You could probably hear it from the East coast!

130rwhp is very optimistic for nothing but an exhaust and jetting. Maybe on a cool morning with a "friendly" dyno. Not saying it's impossible, but don't be surprised if you end of short of that.

Most charts I've seen put it in 120-125.

Leaving the jets stock won't hurt the engine at all. Swapping out to a full system will just make it run richer than needed. Higher flow exhaust= richer, higher flow intake= leaner. Increased flow on both, more power.

You won't see much power gains until rejetting, but it won't hurt anything. You might take the "Y" off the airbox once the exhaust is installed(Sean's kit replaces the entire lid with a filter).

Last edited:
I think the person who writes the blurbs on Planet Vmax may be exaggerating.

:rofl_200::rofl_200:
Only bigger understatement was when Custer's lieutenant said, " I don't think they're friendly Indians."

Back