winter transporting...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
as you guys may or may not know we got about 2' of snow today. On saturday i'm planning on trailering the max to Springfield (65 miles) mostly highway.

I have an open trailer. should i be worried about salt and crap kicking up all over it, then being a pain to work on/or rusting? I looked and could probably rent a covered uhaul but it would be $30 - $70..

the weather is supposed to be sunny and high 20's low 30's thurs/fri and saturday so i don't think the truck would kick up too much crap, but just curious if anyone has any experience?

danny didn't you pick up sallymax in wintertime?

Garrett if you are traveling on just a wet road any salt/ sand/ or other crap will get misted all over your bike. I think a covered trailer would be your safest bet.
U haul rates for a 4x8 is $15/ day and 5x8 is $19/ day (local return) for a enclosed trailer, it looks like the rates for Franklin, MA would be the same.

If transporting on an open trailer, best to do so on a dry day. Dry road salt will stick to the bike, but can easily be washed/cleaned off with no long term effects. I usually wrap the front end (atleast) with commercial stretch wrap (used in shipping) to protect from rock damage, etc...

It depends on how bad the roads are. Today I drove a total of 400 or so miles on the highway, the roads were totally dry, but had enough dry salt, that the road looked white. Driving behind a vehicle, especially a tractor/trailer, you were in a salt cloud while being pelted by rocks.

Enclosed is still the best way, if possible.

Mike

Looks like ill call uhaul tomorrow. It sucks because I will probably need it for 36-40 hrs, which 3x the price

just cover it with a bike cover for 20 bucks before you head out.

as you guys may or may not know we got about 2' of snow today. On saturday i'm planning on trailering the max to Springfield (65 miles) mostly highway.

I have an open trailer. should i be worried about salt and crap kicking up all over it, then being a pain to work on/or rusting? I looked and could probably rent a covered uhaul but it would be $30 - $70..

the weather is supposed to be sunny and high 20's low 30's thurs/fri and saturday so i don't think the truck would kick up too much crap, but just curious if anyone has any experience?

danny didn't you pick up sallymax in wintertime?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did Garrett...February, but we hadn't had any snow for awhile and the roads were dry and clear of 'white dust.' After this storm yesterday there's a good chance of you hitting some wet roads on the way to S'field.

Enclosed is the best way....for sure don't wrap a tarp around it, anywhere it flaps it'll rub the paint off your bike.

enclosed man for sure, the cost of 3 day rental far out weighs the potential long term distruction. dont chance it if you care about your bike...
you goning to dyno?

If you put a cover on it and drive down the road it will beat the ever loving hell out of it.

Best is enclosed...

Salt is SO fine and our roads are white with it. I can literally see a cloud of it behind me when I hammer on the go pedal. The worst is that spray salt they use around here though.

I ALWAYS spray my car off right after a snow. The stuff is killer.

Chris

+1 to NOT putting a tarp on the bike. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. It didn't rub the paint off but it did dull the paint in a few areas that it was rubbing against.

i definitely had no intentino of putting a tarp or cover on the bike, thats a huge no no. was thinking of mounting a piece of plywood on the front of mine then realized i'd be doing it in the dark and the piece of plywood is the same as a 1 day rental of a 5x8 enclosed.

i have a zr2 blazer, so it comes with a class II hitch on the bumper (350/3000) so sometimes they give me problems with putting the trailer on the bumper but called them up and said they had no problem with it but 'have seen lots of bumpers torn off'. I'm sure they have if its not meant to tow but i've towed plenty with mine. so for what should be $20 if i get it back saturday night or $40 sunday morning i'll have a piece of mind.

i definitely had no intentino of putting a tarp or cover on the bike, thats a huge no no. was thinking of mounting a piece of plywood on the front of mine then realized i'd be doing it in the dark and the piece of plywood is the same as a 1 day rental of a 5x8 enclosed.

i have a zr2 blazer, so it comes with a class II hitch on the bumper (350/3000) so sometimes they give me problems with putting the trailer on the bumper but called them up and said they had no problem with it but 'have seen lots of bumpers torn off'. I'm sure they have if its not meant to tow but i've towed plenty with mine. so for what should be $20 if i get it back saturday night or $40 sunday morning i'll have a piece of mind.

As long as they're setup to transport a bike. You need at the very least eyelets in the right place.

:biglaugh:

This will actually work against you Garrett, it'll create a vacuum behind the plywood and spray or white dust, that might have gone by, will be sucked right in on your bike!

Only way plywood will work would be get a half dozen sheets and build an enclosed trailer......hardly worth the effort! IMHO

As long as they're setup to transport a bike. You need at the very least eyelets in the right place.

good point as well i'll swing by the uhaul place tonight and take a peak.

:biglaugh:

This will actually work against you Garrett, it'll create a vacuum behind the plywood and spray or white dust, that might have gone by, will be sucked right in on your bike!

Only way plywood will work would be get a half dozen sheets and build an enclosed trailer......hardly worth the effort! IMHO

haha yea i hear ya.... enclosed is gonna be the way to go i think.

I have pics of my 88 FZR1000 from a few years back when we did something similar (but got caught up in the snow storm). That bike was mint when we picked it up but looked like shit when we got back. I don't think I ever was able to get it fully cleaned like it had been before but we couldn't get it to the wash for a week,

Get an enclosed if you want it to stay nice. A tarp or cover will beat the shit out of the paint as was noted (been there too a long time ago). However, if you completely wrap the tarp with bungies and straps to keep any of from flapping around it would work fine.

Sean

supposed to be clear skies but the difference is what you said ya can't really wash it in sub 30 degree temps. then shit just will freeze and whatnot. i'm gonna go make sure the trailer has tie downs tonight and that should be the end of it.

i'm gonna swing by tonight and make sure so that if like the 6x12 makes it 10x easier i know that now rather than tomorrow night. place is only a few miles from the house

i'm gonna swing by tonight and make sure so that if like the 6x12 makes it 10x easier i know that now rather than tomorrow night. place is only a few miles from the house

Do yourself a favor and double strap the front end down to two different points.....incase one fails.......don't ask me how I know this......Max is a pretty heavy machine.......

you need one of these 7'x12'. just got new wheels and tires. feel lucky to have it.

Attachments

• trailer new rims.jpg
    trailer new rims.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 10
Do yourself a favor and double strap the front end down to two different points.....incase one fails.......don't ask me how I know this......Max is a pretty heavy machine.......

oh i def agree. i plan on having no single point of failure my friend!

you need one of these 7'x12'. just got new wheels and tires. feel lucky to have it.

haha i would LOVE to but the funds are not there at the moment.

Back