winter transporting...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need one of these 7'x12'. just got new wheels and tires. feel lucky to have it.

I had a Pace American this size with the man door on the side. I ran an underground tank testing business out of it....office in the front, tools and test equipment in the back.

No idea how many hundreds of thousands of miles I hauled that thing around but I got so fuckin' sick of seeing it in the mirror....year after year after year......like having a black dog follow you around, every time you look back....he's there! :icon_axe:

Garrett, make sure the enclosed trailer has tiedowns on the floor. Most of the enclosed trailers only had tiedowns on the flimsy walls and i'd be alot more worried about them letting go before stuff would fly up and hit it.

Garrett, make sure the enclosed trailer has tiedowns on the floor. Most of the enclosed trailers only had tiedowns on the flimsy walls and i'd be alot more worried about them letting go before stuff would fly up and hit it.

they're rivetted to the brackets that hold the wall to the floor.

i'm gonna tie to those, but also there are some bumper things i'm gonna run some steel braided line with hoops on it to hold it steady incase one breaks.

One word of caution is to not use the tension style tie downs, use only the HD ratchet straps. Also make sure the front wheel cannot turn or slide sideways as well as the rear tire which should not be allowed to slide to either side.
I'm sure you have it under control so good luck with the transport. I didn't see why you were making the trip, bolting on or testing some new stuff i suspect!:punk:

You could get a little bit larger trailer lol.

Here's pics of the FZR before and After! I had my big trailer even then but didn't want to haul it for just that one bike. ALmost regretted it later though the snow and ice storm was super bad.

Sean

Attachments

• P1013377.jpg
    P1013377.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
  • FZR1000 Side View 2.JPG
    FZR1000 Side View 2.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 15
  • Muscle Trailer.jpg
    Muscle Trailer.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
One word of caution is to not use the tension style tie downs, use only the HD ratchet straps. Also make sure the front wheel cannot turn or slide sideways as well as the rear tire which should not be allowed to slide to either side.
I'm sure you have it under control so good luck with the transport. I didn't see why you were making the trip, bolting on or testing some new stuff i suspect!:punk:

i use ratchet straps and not sure how to keep the front wheel from turning tho, any ideas? I don't have a chalk really. i have one but its just a HF cheapo that is meant to be mounted on a trailer or something..

just going to do my valves thats all.

i use ratchet straps and not sure how to keep the front wheel from turning tho, any ideas? I don't have a chalk really. i have one but its just a HF cheapo that is meant to be mounted on a trailer or something..

just going to do my valves thats all.

Hey Garrett, just nail down 2 pieces of 2"X4" wood on each side of the front wheel. That will prevent it from turning in transport. Hell it's not your trailer anyways!

Mike

Hey Garrett, just nail down 2 pieces of 2"X4" wood on each side of the front wheel. That will prevent it from turning in transport. Hell it's not your trailer anyways!

Mike

right thru the metal base?

That's what sucks about Uhaul trailers. They're not made for bike hauling. You could attempt to pile wood from the front back and set your HF device against that and use the pressure of the bike with the straps to hold it all in place. I probably wouldn't. I'd tack weld the HF device to the floor and then grind it off later.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

You could use a piece of plywood the width of the bed and fasten the blocks to it.

I was actually just thinking that. I have a spare piece of 2' x 8' plywood. i could easily cut the 8' section down to fit and then just bolt the chalk to it. its not anything crazy sturdy but it'd keep the wheel from turning.

maybe even a small dab of epoxy to keep it from sliding? silicone adhesive might be easy to and it'd be easy to remove.

I was actually just thinking that. I have a spare piece of 2' x 8' plywood. i could easily cut the 8' section down to fit and then just bolt the chalk to it. its not anything crazy sturdy but it'd keep the wheel from turning.

maybe even a small dab of epoxy to keep it from sliding? silicone adhesive might be easy to and it'd be easy to remove.
If you cut the plywood tight enough to the sides and with the straps pulling down/ forward it shouldn't go anywhere. A dab or two probably wouldn't hurt just as long it's not too bad to clean up.
I used to tie 3 mx bikes into a full size pickup with no chocks and as long as the straps didn't give they stayed in place. If the straps worked loose the tire would move/ turn and fall. It really didn't matter much with the dirt bikes but could be a disaster with a street bike.
Sounds like you have a good plan, hope all goes well with the valve adjustment. I wish I was joining in on your tech day!

If you cut the plywood tight enough to the sides and with the straps pulling down/ forward it shouldn't go anywhere. A dab or two probably wouldn't hurt just as long it's not too bad to clean up.
I used to tie 3 mx bikes into a full size pickup with no chocks and as long as the straps didn't give they stayed in place. If the straps worked loose the tire would move/ turn and fall. It really didn't matter much with the dirt bikes but could be a disaster with a street bike.
Sounds like you have a good plan, hope all goes well with the valve adjustment. I wish I was joining in on your tech day!

i hear ya. it'd be one thing if i could keep an eye on the bike (ie open trailer) but the whole point of this thread i gotta put it in an enclosed one.

I've hauled my max a few hundred miles or more at a time without a chock. Also, my MX and other's MX bikes numerous times without one. Never had a problem.

As long as there is something solid to push the front wheel against and you can get a tie down on either side of the handlebars pulling forward and compressing the forks a few inches, the front wheel shouldn't move.

On the max I put tie downs on either side near the rear shocks. I don't even bother with the MX bikes.

yea i have transported the max before without chalks. i'm gonna see when i get the trailer how it looks with it in there

i hear ya. it'd be one thing if i could keep an eye on the bike (ie open trailer) but the whole point of this thread i gotta put it in an enclosed one.
Yeah, you never know what went on during a trip inside the trailer until you open the door at the destination. Gary Spradley set up his trailer with a web cam in it so he could keep a eye on hios Vmax while traveling down the road, a little much in my book, but to each their own. The only straps that I have ever had a problem with were the friction types, the ratchet type have always held tight.

Yeah, you never know what went on during a trip inside the trailer until you open the door at the destination. Gary Spradley set up his trailer with a web cam in it so he could keep a eye on hios Vmax while traveling down the road, a little much in my book, but to each their own. The only straps that I have ever had a problem with were the friction types, the ratchet type have always held tight.
Yeah I dont use them friction type straps have seen then fail more than once. I have some friends around here that give me crap because I use 4 heavy ratchet straps on every bike. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Yeah I dont use them friction type straps have seen then fail more than once. I have some friends around here that give me crap because I use 4 heavy ratchet straps on every bike. I would rather be safe than sorry.

i ahve a friction strap. its hanging up in the same place it was 3 years ago. haha. only ratchet straps here too

Latest posts

Back