yet another issue?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Hope this is not an issue as I seem to have found things that most others have - hard time finding neutral, wobble etc.

Anyway I just noticed this tonight. When I brake i hear many little clicks. Now imagine the slight click you get when you use your front brake, if I brake sharp and my front end drops I get about 5 or 6 of them, the sharper the more it drops the more clicks. Now I tried just rocking the suspension up and down and cannot really tell if I can make it sound but when holding the front brake and rocking I hear it. No idea what the hell it is but it is frigging annoying.

Also figured out that the sneezing (or spiting or coughing whatever it is called) when my bike is old. Does it very rarely if i just let it idle when cold, never with the choke on but if i hold it at about 1500rpms while cold I get that spit thing. Sean told me that is normal though.

Anyway let me know about that clicking, driving me crazy, i juts changed my pads and bled my brakes no more than 150 miles ago.

Thanks,
MG

Hope this is not an issue as I seem to have found things that most others have - hard time finding neutral, wobble etc.

Anyway I just noticed this tonight. When I brake i hear many little clicks. Now imagine the slight click you get when you use your front brake, if I brake sharp and my front end drops I get about 5 or 6 of them, the sharper the more it drops the more clicks. Now I tried just rocking the suspension up and down and cannot really tell if I can make it sound but when holding the front brake and rocking I hear it. No idea what the hell it is but it is frigging annoying.

Also figured out that the sneezing (or spiting or coughing whatever it is called) when my bike is old. Does it very rarely if i just let it idle when cold, never with the choke on but if i hold it at about 1500rpms while cold I get that spit thing. Sean told me that is normal though.

Anyway let me know about that clicking, driving me crazy, i juts changed my pads and bled my brakes no more than 150 miles ago.

Are your pads shifting in the calipers????

Are the calipers mounted right and tightened correctly?????

Give it a good look see in bright light.....

Let us know if ya find it:confused2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had strange noises like that once. Turned out to be a loose speedo cable jam nut and I was hearing the square end clicking at the front rim.:confused2:
Hope its simple.

do not think it has anything to do with the breaks, maybe but I can notice it a little when going over bumps. Def sounds like it is coming from where all the cables/brakes are though. Very very annoying. I thought it was one of my cables hitting my radiator, but pretty sure that is no it. I am going to take a look and see if the calipers are tight, anything I should look for?

i have some weird clicking noises over bumps (mainly when the front drops, not when it compresses) i think its either wiring in the headlight or my flyscreen. does it worse when the ambient temp is up there.

doesn't get worse. Completely the same whether cold hot, engine on, off. I have only started noticing it the last few days. I am not noticing anything running worse or anything though just annoying and hoping it is not something bad going on. One thing is that the clicking happens when compressing the shocks and decompressing the shocks. So when rocking it happens on the way down and way up kinda sorta.

Def notice it way more when holding the front brake and squashing the front down. Not sure if that is just because I can get more force to put the front end down or if it is related though. I tried putting it next to the curb and bouncing it without the brake and cannot get the force - nor the clicking.

doesn't get worse. Completely the same whether cold hot, engine on, off. I have only started noticing it the last few days. I am not noticing anything running worse or anything though just annoying and hoping it is not something bad going on. One thing is that the clicking happens when compressing the shocks and decompressing the shocks. So when rocking it happens on the way down and way up kinda sorta.

Def notice it way more when holding the front brake and squashing the front down. Not sure if that is just because I can get more force to put the front end down or if it is related though. I tried putting it next to the curb and bouncing it without the brake and cannot get the force - nor the clicking.

get a buddy to bounce the frotn end and get a mechanics stethoscope. then not only do u look like a tard u'll figure out where exactly its coming from!! haha i love those things but man i look like a moron. haha

For you issues of finding neutral: I was also having the same issue, until I took the advise from 4gasem and switched my oil to Shell synthetic Rotella T. Trans shifts great now.

While the front end is up in the air---- check the steering head torque ( bounce test) and make sure the top nut is properly tightened( Don't ask me how I know this???) Had simular symptoms.
Lew

Got my mechanic to have a look on my lunch break. Head bearings are going out. Said they are not too bad. Also said that I should not get yamaha ones as this is quite common and upgrade to something else at half the price - like $40 or so. His boss is my mate and gonna do it at his house, good deal! Just sucks they are going out.

On another note the guy loves working on my max, started telling me all this stuff he would do, and he actually knew of the Morley jet kit - awesome. Gonna get to that at some point!!!

cheers

Got my mechanic to have a look on my lunch break. Head bearings are going out. Said they are not too bad. Also said that I should not get yamaha ones as this is quite common and upgrade to something else at half the price - like $40 or so. His boss is my mate and gonna do it at his house, good deal! Just sucks they are going out.

On another note the guy loves working on my max, started telling me all this stuff he would do, and he actually knew of the Morley jet kit - awesome. Gonna get to that at some point!!!

cheers
Look or ask here for help getting the bearing race off if your buddy has problems. If it won't budge you may consider other options before destroying it. They can be a Beotch!!

Recommend OEM parts. Too many Chinese junk parts out there. The OEM lower steering bearing has a rubber seal not found on aftermarket bearings.

Recommend OEM parts. Too many Chinese junk parts out there. The OEM lower steering bearing has a rubber seal not found on aftermarket bearings.

Interesting, my buddy is the GM for Yamaha and Honda. He and they head mechanic told me to stay away from them, even though I can get those at cost price

That is news to me. I always use factory OEM parts on my Max and have had no problems. Particularly if you do carb work. I have had poor results using Keyster and K&L carb kits on other bikes.

i haven't heard anything wrong with oem bearings. are you sure u just don't need to tighten your nuts down? if they are WICKED loose and can be, it could feel like the bearings are on their way out....

i mean its not unheard for but 7k miles and needing new bearings? i guess if it was left otu like yours tho..

the bottom face/circle thing in bed w/ya

Back