Engine hoist to pull motor?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98superhawk

Reaction score
I need to pull the motor on my Vmax.
Do I need a hoist to do it?
For the guys who have done this, are there any other special tools I would need?
I would like to be prepared before I get started.
Thanks in advance.

The engine comes out the right side of the frame quite easily with just the aid of a floor jack.

There us a write up on here from Sean with tips on how to do it.

No special tools needed.

I find its easier with output shaft removed, swingarm off, and carbs off.

I usually hold th engine with a lift and take the frame from the engine instead.

I'm gonna vote for the centerstand & a big floor jack, and a couple of jackstands to keep the frame from moving. I've removed & replaced the motor alone and while it's easier w/ an assist, you can easily do it yourself, without danger to your body.

Replacing it, get some carpet remnants and cut them up and zip-tie them to the frame where you could contact the frame while getting the engine back-in.

Attachments

• iphone pictures 6-26-2014 581.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 581.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 41
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 582.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 582.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 38
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 584.JPG
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 584.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 37
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 585.JPG
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 585.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 38
I've done it both ways, moving the engine into a stationary frame and with engine stationary a hanging frame that I moved around the engine.
If the frame is supported properly and has the freedom to move easily I liked that way best. I had both wheels, forks and maybe swingarm too so it was easy to maneuver. With both wheels attached my choice would be maneuvering engine on a floor jack.

How about I send you a video camera free of charge and you can show us how you will remove them the frame while holding the motor in place.
Not saying it can't be done but not that smart if you can lift the engine yourself.

Well first of all will be the back tire, then the swing arm, then drop the engine, and lift the frame off. I forgot to mention that I will also have the forks off putting in the Ricors.

Hey, if you need info, I will be happy to share. My email and telephone # are including in my signature.

I removed the engine w/the swingarm in place. Not really difficult. I also left the VBoost servo motor in place. It was a solo effort.

Back