Almost flipped my Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro.betterley

Reaction score
Well was doing some tuning and just got done syncing carbs, took it for a test run all was good, when i was getting back to my drive way i down shifted to 1 st and gave throtle a good wack, well as it came up it jerked out of my left hand and almost went all the way over because i continued on the gas in all the confusion.

When it finally came down it hit so hard my handle bars moved an inch, needless to say it shook me up, and made me respect the machine again.

Similar thing happened to me. I just got done with DD clutch mod and wiped my hands clean of oil. I whacked down on her with the clutch pulled in and when the RPMs hit about 6K, released the clutch in second gear, and lost my right hand grip. That was one hell of a tank slapper, but managed somehow to regain control. Moral of the story don't ride with oil residue on your hands if you are gonna be snatching gears on a Vmax........

I've had it scare the hell out of me turning through a intersection and hit the throttle a little too hard before straightening out and the front wheel slides about 3-4 feet before catching.
Even a little too much throttle at the right (wrong?) time can make for a bad situation.

Antics like that are very hard on the forks and head bearings also. If you like to loft the front end, learn to set it back down gently. Repeatedly slamming it back to earth will take out the bearings and fork seals in no time.

Be careful....a Vmax landing on your chest will take out your life in no time also.

Luckilly, when I do have the front come up. The rear tire breaks loose and gives me time to think about getting it back down. Not sure how the 170 Metzler will do with that, it could be a problem....:confused2:

The thing to do is not just slam the throttle shut, but just dial it back enough to get things back under control. You lighter weight guys lack the amount of counter weight a heavy fella (like myself) can move around to more drastically alter balance. I can hook good from a stop, and then really get up on the bars to keep the front end no more than a few inches from the ground. Or I can sit back and loft the front tire at will anywhere in first, second with a little clutch.

Assuming you still have both hands on the bars when it's in the air like that, don't panic, shift to the next gear and you can let it down easy, that way you're not trying to use RPMs that are already near redline to control the bike.....backing off the throttle without shifting is just about always going to result in slamming the front down due to engine compression braking, but it IS better than looping it in an emergency......just not the best way "I think"

Back