Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. My name is Bruce from Cabot Arkansas. My wife and I used to ride our ZRX 1200's to rallies in Eureka Springs. Seems like the VMax guys were always there the same weekend. The ZRX's have been long gone and I started wanting for another street bike and set out on a mission to find a low mileage 1st Gen. I located and purchased a 2004 with just over 2000 miles. It looks brand new. I'm sure I will have lots of questions. The first thing I have to do is something with the exhaust. The previous owner had installed UFO exhaust and this thing will wake up the dead. I love the sound of a well tuned aftermarket exhaust but I don't want to be heard from 5 miles away.
IMG_3911_zpsgjwdzsnb.jpg

Congrats ! I think you can still get the speak easy baffles to tone them down a little

Welcome Blyoth.
Nice choice! I like the '04 color scheme.

Since UFO is no longer in business, I'd reach out to voodoo. They might have the speakeasy baffles for your mufflers.

www.voodoomoto.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=380626

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah I heard that UFO was no longer in business. If I don't go with a completely different system I may give them a call. I really like the sound of the Mark's Performance Exhaust.

Yeah I heard that UFO was no longer in business. If I don't go with a completely different system I may give them a call. I really like the sound of the Mark's Performance Exhaust.

Can't go wrong with Mark's and you never know, he could be doing his usual holiday special on his stainless compete systems.

Hello everybody I'm a new member here my name is Dave and I live in New Smyrna, Florida. I'm glad to have found this site! I bought a 96' V-max a couple of years ago was excited to start riding it. The guy I bought it from made extreme modifications enlarged the jets in the carb and installed nitrous oxide the bike currently gets 60 miles to the tankful. The bike is lots of fun can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Daytona area. Thanks again Dave

Hello everybody I'm a new member here my name is Dave and I live in New Smyrna, Florida. I'm glad to have found this site! I bought a 96' V-max a couple of years ago was excited to start riding it. The guy I bought it from made extreme modifications enlarged the jets in the carb and installed nitrous oxide the bike currently gets 60 miles to the tankful. The bike is lots of fun can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Daytona area. Thanks again Dave

Well Joe from Boxenstop just passed away so I am not sur ewho else is in that area. I used to have people from down that way bring me bikes in Tampa but I moved to TN

I've had a set of Mark's pipes and really liked them. The fit was superb. Sound was excellent too. They would be a great choice.

If you can get him to polish the skins on the cans they look pretty sharp too.

I've had UFO, marks, and Hindle. I preferred the marks due to sound.

Currently running UFO megaphone 4-1 in black. Looks good IMO. Fit not as nice as marks. Sounds is a bit obnoxious. Not sure I could handle the quadzilla's you have. That would be LOUD.

Real, fiberglass packing does help quite a bit. UFO ships the pipes with steel wool packing that doesn't quell the noise at all and seems super raspy.

If you like the look, I'd suggest new packing, and speakeasy baffles if available

Not sure I could handle the quadzilla's you have. That would be LOUD.

Is quadzilla the actual name of the pipes that are currently on my bike? Just asking because I may try to sell them after I get a new system. I'm sure there are folks out there that would enjoy them. My 27 year old son actually found the bike in OKC and picked it up for me. He kept telling me how awesome the bike sounded.

New member here. Was looking to buy a Honda Magna to replace my '97 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 (which I still have). Had owned two V-Maxes previously - a used '86 bought in '90, and a new '95 bought in late '96. After looking at Magnas (I consider them a little brother to the Max) for over a month, on a whim I texted a friend of mine whom I knew had a Max awhile back. Asked if he still had it, and whether he'd consider selling it, and his response was, "Yes, sir". What does that mean? Called him for clarification, and he told me he had cancelled the insurance less than 2 weeks ago, and had bought two new tires for it a few months ago, and was gonna get it running and sell it. Hadn't been started in almost a year, and he had only put about 200 miles on it the 2-1/2 years he'd had it. '89 model, only mods I see are aftermarket blinkers, has 23,760 miles. No dents, scrapes, etc, chrome looks good, engine paint just fair. He assured me it used to run pretty good, but admittedly not as well as my old bike (which he had ridden several times).

So, I went to see it the next day. Looked ok, but was in no shape to try to start it (battery, carbs, etc.). Now for the million-dollar question - how much? I almost fell over when he said - "a thousand bucks". I'm sorry - how much? Did you say $1,000? Yup, that was right. Well, I thought about that all of 1/4 of a second!!!! Hell, yeah, I'll take it!!!

Got it home this Tuesday, and been draining gas, pulling apart carbs (on bike), and performing shotgun and peashooter cleanings 'til I can do them in my sleep. Using info gleaned from this site and others, have been able to do quite a bit of maintenance w/o a manual in my hand - including a reverse bleeding of the clutch. Would have never thought of that!

Anyway, took it for a 10-mile shake-down run this afternoon. Not running 100%, but good enough to scare the crap out of me once! Forgot how quick these bikes are when V-Boost kicks in. On a 40* cloudy day with a sub-par rear tire in second gear @ 8,000 rpm spells fishtail at 75mph!!!!!. Not sure how I survived having two of these in my twenties, but I assure you I'll spend much less time in V-Boost now!

Glad to be back on a Max, and looking forward to sharing info here - both ways. Been reading all kinds of stuff here the last few days. A great group of posters that I feel privileged to be joining.

Sorry about the long post, but I know a few of you snow-bound riders might appreciate a good story!! Be safe!

Morning all,

I joined the forum a wee while ago but thought i'd pop on to say hello.

I'm Eoghan aka Eoggy and live with my family in the highlands, Scotland. I am brand new to V-Max ownership alrhough i nearly bought one in 2001.

I passed my bike test back in 1996 and by 2000 i was set to get my first post 1000cc bike. I had decided on the V-Max after seeing one at the NEC motorcycle show. That was until Yamaha brought out the XJR1300sp. That bike won out and i bought a new 2001 model in 2001.

Fast forward to late 2016 where the local bike shop was selling a secondhand 2003 V-Max with only 9646 miles on the clock. A couple of visits to see it and a handshake later, its now sitting in my garage...

The shop has done some work on it to bring it back to life after a 8 year layup (long, sad story) It has had powdercoated rims and swing arm, aftermarket bars, rear suspension and slipon end can, upgraded front brakes (R1 calipers) with braided hoses. Stripped and cleaned carbs, new oil, wheel bearings and battery.

I still haven't been out on it yet because the weather here is currently pretty poor. I may be a fool for not going on a test ride before i got it, but i didnt test ride the XJR and have since put over 70,000 miles on the clock. So as far as i am concerned the V-Max is going to be a keeper.

So whilst i wait for drier roads, I thought i'd engage the 'max with my other hobby, photography.

Anyway, thats me, hope to see some of you guys on the road, assuming theres a scottish contigent on here!

All the best and happy hogmanay!

Eoghan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 28
And another piccie - couldnt add two images for some reason...

Eoghan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 26
Welcome Eoggy, You take a pretty good picture. It looks like you know your way around a camera. The bike looks good. I would hope the shop you bought it from would stand behind any problems that would arise. You've also got the knowledge of all things Vmax, from the Gentlemen on this forum.

Hi scratch and welcome from the Uk ! Got my max 12 months ago US import and absolutely love it . Last Yamaha 4 strokes some decades ago being a XS650b and an XT 500 so quite a love affair not to mention my yam 2 strokes. Bunch of us meet up at the Whistlestop Cafe Teignmouth Devon for ancient biker moments fund raising and an excuse to get away from The missus.All the best and stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi scratch and welcome from the Uk ! Got my max 12 months ago US import and absolutely love it . Last Yamaha 4 strokes some decades ago being a XS650b and an XT 500 so quite a love affair not to mention my yam 2 strokes. Bunch of us meet up at the Whistlestop Cafe Teignmouth Devon for ancient biker moments fund raising and an excuse to get away from The missus.All the best and stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome vmaxed1989. I took a google earth trip to the Whistle stop cafe. A nice spot for a bike rally. Your pretty close to the water.

Back