Headlight options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buster Hymen said:
Do you know what the wattage of the lights are? Maybe a bigger bulb will make for better night riding.
I think they are 55 or 65W and to me they are bright enough. I can even see the lights shine on the road in sunny conditions when the shadow of a tree is across the road. Technically speaking, they are probably not street legal but have passed many cops without incident, day or night I'm sure. Higher wattage might present an overheating problem as these are not metal enclosures, but such are also available. Ibrahim is great when it comes to finding stuff on the Net. He can probably find just what is needed and available in the rectangular form.

firefly said:
I think the space between the headlights could be used to cosmetically enhance the custom look of the headlights

I didn't take it as criticism Ibrahim. If there was more room, perhaps I could have spaced both lights closer together. As it is already, I was barely able to insert an open end wrench between them to tighten them in place. My big paws have a difficult time working in such close quarters and with the addition of the twin horns, I wouldn't want to go back in there for any kind of adjustment. I'll include a picture of the aluminum bracket I had to make to hold both lights in place. I think the only "bolt-on" piece on the bike is the radiator protector.

Attachments

• Lampenhalter.jpg
    Lampenhalter.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 23
Found a simple way to make fork mounts for headlights or turn signals and it can be used even for handlebar clock, gauge mounting or even mirror mounting.
a one inch wide, 3 mm thick flat aluminum found at home depot and other fine hardware stores , a 6 ft piece is $9 and will make several brackets and it is easy to shape by wrapping it around a tube by hand or using a pliers, some places sell things like that for $90 bucks chromed.
I made a cigarette holder , a cup/ water bottle holder, a post it note holder, a pepper sprayer holder the possibilities are endless for any diameter tube mounts best of all it is cheeeeep and could be made to look nice.
I think I'll go for the vrod headlight to keep the classic look of the max, today I visited suzuki dealer and took a closer look at the busa headlight boy they ARE ugly!
________
LM004

Last edited:
mikemax04 said:
I didn't take it as criticism Ibrahim. If there was more room, perhaps I could have spaced both lights closer together. As it is already, I was barely able to insert an open end wrench between them to tighten them in place. My big paws have a difficult time working in such close quarters and with the addition of the twin horns, I wouldn't want to go back in there for any kind of adjustment. I'll include a picture of the aluminum bracket I had to make to hold both lights in place. I think the only "bolt-on" piece on the bike is the radiator protector.

Mike a piece of aluminum flashing from home depot will close the gap and is easy to work with, you could even attach an LED light strip behind it as running lights.
________
Ford Corsair specifications

Last edited:
firefly said:
Mike a piece of aluminum flashing from home depot will close the gap and is easy to work with, you could even attach an LED light strip behind it as running lights.
How about a skull with red LED eyes! Sweet!:th_termi-smilie::th_skullsmilie:

Buster Hymen said:
How about a skull with red LED eyes! Sweet!:th_termi-smilie::th_skullsmilie:

I'll never use sculls on my bike! does it really look good? I wonder,
we will become sculls when we die so why rush.
plus every f--k n bike has them so what is so special about them.
________
lolol

Last edited:
here is another headlight option found it on ebay, may be one can use this and add a small round fog light under it or use two of them like Mike did with his bike, or just leave the stock one and spend money on something else:).this is a photo of someones bike with these particular lights
________
roor bongs

Attachments

• custom li.jpg
    custom li.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 30
  • headlight example.jpg
    headlight example.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
firefly said:
I'll never use sculls on my bike! does it really look good? I wonder,
we will become sculls when we die so why rush.
plus every f--k n bike has them so what is so special about them.
Ahhhh...I love skulls!:(

Sidepanel.jpg

Buster Hymen said:
Ahhhh...I love skulls!:(

Sidepanel.jpg
I just have to ask, Buster. Are these skulls all past generation family members that you take along on your daily rides??????? They all seem like a happy bunch and are also good looking. They too must enjoy the Max. BTW, that's a good looking red.

firefly said:
here is another headlight option found it on ebay, may be one can use this and add a small round fog light under it or use two of them like Mike did with his bike, or just leave the stock one and spend money on something else:).
That one looks better than the stock light but isn't for me. In Europe twin round lights are popular which I hate because they look like the eyes of the guy that married my first love. Alls well that ends well and he deserved her. I'd buy the light that lady has in her hands where she's almost naked and covering her beaver with it IF she was part of the deal. :rofl_200:

Just having a bit of fun here.

Attachments

• hid2.jpg
    hid2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 10
  • hid.jpg
    hid.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
markmax said:

this is a pretty common headlight here in Los Angeles, for choppers not max, I already bought a v-rod headlight and trying to figure how to install it on the max, I think it is a very nice looking headlight and will look great on my max keeping its classic look.
________
Racing F1

Last edited:
Ebay is the only place i've seen that head light. Never seen on on a chopper in Albuquerque. Then again I don't see too many choppers here.
I want to see a pic of the vrod head light when you get it done.

markmax said:
Ebay is the only place i've seen that head light. Never seen on on a chopper in Albuquerque. Then again I don't see too many choppers here.
I want to see a pic of the vrod head light when you get it done.[/quot

Man it is not so easy as I thought, the vibration is what I am worried about, I didn't want to mount it to the forks, but I realized mounting it at the stock mounting point is not going to work:(
these are some photos of the v-rod headlight not installed yet, mounts finally done, will need some kind of cover to make it look like it is part of the bike, they are very sturdy and cost ~ $8 for a 6 ft perforated mild steel vs ~$100 or more for less sturdy mounts.

I found that a 30mm socket is just the perfect diameter to round the mounts to fit the 43mm forks, a rubber padding will be placed between the mount and the fork tube so it does not scratch it.
the front ends of the mounts are going to be ground down and the whole mount will be covered by aluminum flashing found at any hardware store, I'll post photos of the complete set up once installed on the bike.
________
Rear-Engine Mercedes-Benz history

Attachments

• vrod headlight & mounting brackets 001  (600 x 450).jpg
    vrod headlight & mounting brackets 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 29
  • vrod headlight & mounting brackets 003  (600 x 450).jpg
    vrod headlight & mounting brackets 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 24
  • vrod headlight & mounting brackets 002 (800 x 600)2.jpg
    vrod headlight & mounting brackets 002 (800 x 600)2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Not sure about the looks of the headlight but the stand you have it sitting on looks great. That's a compliment, by the way. I'm sure you'll find the more changes you make with parts not meant for the Max, the more you will realize that it's not always possible to do it just the way you imagined it. Good luck on your project.

mikemax04 said:
Not sure about the looks of the headlight but the stand you have it sitting on looks great. That's a compliment, by the way. I'm sure you'll find the more changes you make with parts not meant for the Max, the more you will realize that it's not always possible to do it just the way you imagined it. Good luck on your project.

I was thinking the same thing about the stand, it looks pretty cool! On the other hand, I like the headlight, especially the side profile.

markmax said:
I don't think i've seen it from the side before...looks real nice

That side and front profile is what made me choose it, the front view photo does not show its beauty, may be at a 45* angle from the front will show it better, I'll post photos of it when on the bike with details on how to make a bracket that holds it with no vibration and have some degree of adjustable aiming, it is a $250 to $300 project but I think it is worth the trouble cosmetically and maybe it will be a better light than stock, they have a HID kit for it but that is $400+ and I don't see a need for that at all, just good light bulbs will do the trick for $50.00 or less.
________
design host

Last edited:
another example of using other bikes headlights, this one is from a British vmax site, though I think the black part of it could be painted to make it look like part of the bike, this is what headlights on faired bikes look . being creative is a wonderful thing!
________
vaporizer reviews

Attachments

• headlight option (640 x 480).jpg
    headlight option (640 x 480).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back